Francona? Surely, you jest!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Francona? Surely, you jest!

In response to crix's comment:

The 2013 Indians were 24 games better than '12 record and lost the Wild Card game.

The 2013 Red Sox were  28 games better than '12 record and won the World Series.

Who did a better job turning a team around?

Though I believe Farrell  deserved the award, Kimmi is right, the voting is done before  the playoffs begin. So what the Sox did in the postseason didn't factor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This is very similar to Ted not being a unanimous choice for the HOF  

how writers hold grudges  and make the vote a travesty and demean the whole of their peers. Just a plain joke. 

I am not saying it would have made Farrell win or should have won but would have made the vote a honest one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

While I think it's a joke, given what Farrell did in Boston, I.e. worst to first +26 games, ALCS champs, & oh yeh, the flipping World Series, I am happy for Titio!  if it had been anybody else, I would be beyond apoplectic!!!!  While it's a prima facie outrage, I'm having a hard time getting too worked up about it.  Kind of a win win for all of us who knew Tito was a great manager who's voice had lost it's sway in a very dysfunctional Red Sox clubhouse.  yet another case of familiarity breeding contempt.

congrats titi!

bigger congrats to JF !!!!!!   World Series baby!  No big loss.....  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Farrell is more deserving IMO BUT I am loving this as it is a giant FU to the handful of nutjobs in this forum who find a way to argue that Tito doesn't deserve credit for the 2 championships but all the blame for the bad season. 

Tito is clearly a top shelf manager, not to mention a good guy.

That's about right.  I wouldn't have argued the issue one way or the other.  Farrell was about 8 games better than I predicted, and Tito about 9-10 better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to crix's comment:

The 2013 Indians were 24 games better than '12 record and lost the Wild Card game.

The 2013 Red Sox were  28 games better than '12 record and won the World Series.

Who did a better job turning a team around?

Though I believe Farrell  deserved the award, Kimmi is right, the voting is done before  the playoffs begin. So what the Sox did in the postseason didn't factor.

Yup, I'd give it to Tito for regular season results, but if the vote was post-WS, then it's Farrell easy.  OTOH, if that was the case, then Tito would've won in 2004.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

This about makes Tito the best manager in history.  The first WS for the Red Sox in 86 years.  Now, 24 games better than last year.  Anyone in here predict that CL would beat out TB and Texas, and come within one game of knocking Detroit out of 1st?

The Indians could just as easily finish 24 out in 2014. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

This about makes Tito the best manager in history.  The first WS for the Red Sox in 86 years.  Now, 24 games better than last year.  Anyone in here predict that CL would beat out TB and Texas, and come within one game of knocking Detroit out of 1st?

The Indians could just as easily finish 24 out in 2014. 

It's possible.  Tito resurrected Jiminez' and Kazmir's careers from the gutter, and now they will move on to bigger contracts.  And with Cleveland being 29th in attendance, it would be a BB miracle if they continue to battle with the big boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It is a shame.... you're talking about a franchise that could have and should have had players like Ramirez, Lee, Sabbathia, Thome, Choo, and Martinez play in Cleveland throughout the last decade.  

Big Moves the Cleveland Indians Could Actually Pull off This Offseason

10 things to watch for from Cleveland Indians in preparation for 2014 ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Just makes up for the two times Francona was robbed when he led the Sox to the title.  Voting was close.  Meh.  It's his I guess.  I won't argue it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

This is very similar to Ted not being a unanimous choice for the HOF  

how writers hold grudges  and make the vote a travesty and demean the whole of their peers. Just a plain joke. 

I am not saying it would have made Farrell win or should have won but would have made the vote a honest one.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. I have nothing against Francona winning it. I would have voted Farrell-Tito 1-2. But you can have an honest difference of opinion.

One ESPN voter who went Francona-Melvin-Maddon, and that's not a terrible ranking even though I don't agree with it. The problem with her explanation as I mentioned on another thread.

She wrote, "With most of their success falling within the realm of the expected in terms of player performances, the midseason injury to Clay Buchholz was about the only thing that represented a significant setback."

The bullpen issues were much bigger than losing Buchholz for three months, considering other guys stepped up. By not acknowleding the bullpen issues simply shows ignorance. So to me, she hurt her case for the vote.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

It's kind of a make up award for Tito for past years when he should have won it.  Kind of like when The Departed was awarded Best Picture and Scorsese won Best Director for this lesser work, when he clearly should have received the Oscar for Goodfellas and possibly a few other films in his heyday.  

Maybe Farrell will finally receive a Manger of the Year Award after he leaves Boston and brings a smaller market bottom dweller to second place.  Think of Manager of the Year as more of a lifetime achievement award, and one year your number comes up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

coma-that says it all.the worst in game manager in baseball

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Congrats to Tito.I thought Farrell was more deserving this year,but Francona's not a terrible choice.I just don't know what more Farrell could have done to win the award.If winning 28 more games than last season doesn't do it,what will?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

what it really boils down to logically is that these beat writers don't really have a fkn clue. especially the woman who didn't put JF on the ballot. Or the two clowns from toronto who just smply hated JF period.

No sour grapes here. congrats tito. you can put your nice plaque up in your den. JF will just have to sit there and just have to be satisfied with polishing up the 2013 world championship trophy.

oh, did I say that sports writers suk? I think we red sox fans already know that don't we.

tell you guys one thing, I'd be willing to bet a million bucks to a dunkin donut that one of the first guys to text tito was John Farrell congratulating him. class act that he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Congrats to Tito.I thought Farrell was more deserving this year,but Francona's not a terrible choice.I just don't know what more Farrell could have done to win the award.If winning 28 more games than last season doesn't do it,what will?  

But the Indians won 24 more games than last season with a payroll that is 50% as much as Boston's, so it's kind of a tossup based on that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

She wrote, "With most of their success falling within the realm of the expected in terms of player performances, the midseason injury to Clay Buchholz was about the only thing that represented a significant setback."

If that's her rationale, she probably should've stated what that 'realm of expectation' is.  Part of Farrell's success was health, but was 97 in that realm of expectation?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to udontnojack's comment:

coma-that says it all.the worst in game manager in baseball

But still the best manager of this generation, with an eventual HOF placement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not sure how you can truly judge who is the "manager of the year" without taking the postseason into account. Just saying.

That aside, I wish it had been Farrell for obvious reasons, but Tito is definitely deserving as well and I'm happy for him. The Indians' turnaround this year was every bit as impressive as ours.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Congrats Tito.

you should never have to pay for a beer in Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Congrats Tito.

Amen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Earlier this evening, I went on a rant about how blasphemous it was that Red Sox Manager John Farrell lost out on Manager of the Year Award to Terry Francona (who yes, we all love, but COME ON). Now, I'm not going to get into it again, but leave it to Farrell to give the best runner-up rebuttal ever.

Farrell joined CSNNE's Bob Neumeier to talk about the award results and of course, is super classy and humble about the whole thing. But also, in so many words, said all that needed to be said: Winning the World Series > Manager of the Year Award.

You can watch his full interview in the video below, but here's the quote that I think pretty much sums it up:

I'm still fresh off a World Series win, and that's what's most important to us. A combined team effort. And I think the one guy with our guys...we shared something that all this team, whether it's Ben and everyone in the front office to the owners, we shared in something extremely special. So individual awards at this point, you know what, are best suited for Tito right now.

Amen, John.

http://fenwayrefugees.com/posts/28554

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Farrell is more deserving IMO BUT I am loving this as it is a giant FU to the handful of nutjobs in this forum who find a way to argue that Tito doesn't deserve credit for the 2 championships but all the blame for the bad season. 

Tito is clearly a top shelf manager, not to mention a good guy.

DAD & BILL-806 CONCUR ........  As HILLARY would say ...... "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE"  !!!    Actually, they both were very deserving, in the end it was the TORONTO writers that did him in !!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Congrats Tito.

I'd buy him beer or whatever he was drinking all night. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Awards don't matter except to agents.

Sections
Shortcuts