Francona to be on

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Francona to be on

For the record, Francona remains the only Red Sox manager to win a world series since Ed Barrow. But don't let that get in the way of your hate fest stiffy.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

No, a guy paid around 10 million for 3 years of zero playoff wins is pathetic in selling books and blaming he and his players failures on other people.

The owners are at fault here, if Francona's book should be praised by fans. Remember they thought Valentine would do a better job than Francona. Also you need to address the actual criticism in the book. Like should Francona have to had to apologize for calling out Manny or Do you think Francona should have found more exciting ways to win. Henry wanted the former and Werner the latter.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Francona was paid a total of $9 million from 2004 to 2007 and won two World Series Championships. That's how he earned his raise. Managers and players can't help it if they are often rewarded after their most successful years. That's the nature of contracts.

Ownership could have cut him loose following the 2006 season when they held a club option. Again they could have cut him loose after the 2008 season. That is ownership's responsibility.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

No, the manager and the players are at fault, here. And they left the clubhouse in the hands of Beckett and other loser player deadbeats who were not doing their jobs. Tito is paid millions to get the union players to make themselves accountable on the team. To the extent he is unable to do that, he and the players are responsible for not doing the job they are paid to do.

The pitiful bugaboo of "they wanted more exciting ways to win" is just an old manager blaming others for what he was paid around 10 million dollars to do.

I have zero respect for Francona and his blame others and make money off a book nonsense.

You can't be this foolish, can you? Winning is not important to the ownership, they care about their brand. The worst thing to happen to a sports franchise is to have a bad owners. Francona's book highlight some of the things that an ownership can do to hurt a franchise. I am just stupified by the lack of reasoning and critical thinking by you to come to your opinion. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I knew there was some reason other than baseball logic that allowed for Tim Wakefield to continuously embarrass himself all summer in 2011.

Probably the FO is the one that got it into Tims head that the fans "deserved" to see him win #200.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

InEpstein and Tito were most likely behind the Tim Wastefield "you diserve to see me get 200 wins even if ruins the 2011 season because I'm losing game, after game, after game, after game, after game, after game, but it's ownership's fault".

Actually it would point to the owners, since a 200 game winner would be good for the brand.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

awww man. fell asleep before first take started. I love first take and i love tito. would have been awesome.

did anyone watch it?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Francona was paid a total of $9 million from 2004 to 2007 and won two World Series Championships. That's how he earned his raise. Managers and players can't help it if they are often rewarded after their most successful years. That's the nature of contracts.

He wasn't just "rewarded for his successful years", he was given a raise to continue to do the job he was doing with other players and teams. He failed, and he was fired.

Ownership could have cut him loose following the 2006 season when they held a club option. Again they could have cut him loose after the 2008 season. That is ownership's responsibility.

No, the responsiblity is Tito and the players who were paid nearly a half a billion dollars over those disgraceful three years, to be title contenders by winning playoff games. They failed, and ownership took responsbility and correctly fired a very bitter and petty Tito, who blames others for his own failure. 

Was winning playoff games explicitly stated in Francona's contract? He was hired to manage the Boston Red Sox, period. If ownership thought he couldn't do what he was hired to do they could have terminated him at any time. They would only have had to pay off whatever was guaranteed in his contract at any time. Ownership is solely responsible for the manager and team they put on the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

For the record, Francona remains the only Red Sox manager to win a world series since Ed Barrow. But don't let that get in the way of your hate fest stiffy.

There are many of us who believe that Francona was just a mediocre manager who was good at managing the clubhouse in some respects (until he lost it completely) but poor at in-game tactics. I do not think he was particularly good at his job. He walked into a very good situation and the Red Sox won a ring even with him at the helm because he was given some very good teams to work with. Eventually Epstein lost his way too and the results Francona achieved from 2008 to 2011 were less than excellent, in part because his lack of managing skill was able to show through once the players he was given were less talented. I do not think he got the most out of his guys, and I think he cost the team many wins every year.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.