Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club

I give our skipper props for being the only person on the planet who could have overcome a 0-3 deficit in the playoffs...his lack of concern and looseness in that situation is exactly what is called for

but...

It is also the bane of our current existence when spring training is totally wasted on being a club-med for veterans and when we play like we our now - without passion and urgency. He needs to kick some azz to light a fire or he will be history in less than a month.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club

Maybe Theo needs to make 160 more speeches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Theo needs to make 160 more speeches.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

hey Moon - good to see you - with that new pvt room happening i never see anyone from the good old days riding coach anymore...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I think they spent too much time looking at the kids and these guys were not doing what they should have done. Theo put way too much faith in Saltamachia. The Atrlanta Braves knew what they were doing. He was not that good. They are trying to fit a square block in a round hole.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Is it the coach?  I don't think so.

I think the team is not as good as we thought.  I am particularly concerned about Gonzalez and Crawford.  Maybe they can't take the heat in Boston after leaving two of the least pressure cities in MLB?

Salty:  worst starting Catcher in MLB.  Bring up a young guy from the minors who will at least improve.  Salty will NOT improve.  Experiment OVER.

Ortiz:  Aging power hitter who has enough left in the tank for this season - not worried about him.

Youks:  Something's wrong - he looks like a different (much worse) player.  Hand bothering him?  It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the rest of the team wasn't batting .160 - but he should improve throughout season.

Scutaro:  Horrible - no upside.  He is in the bottom 5 SS in MLB.  Go with Inglesias - at least he will improve.  Scutaro will NOT improve.  He is what he is - a bottom 5 SS

Pedroia:  All Star

Gonzalez:  Drew part Two?  He looks like he may fall asleep during games.  I hope he starts trying soon. 

Crawford:  Can't take the pressure of Boston?  Is that why he can't do anything? 

Ellsbury:  Maybe he'll never be what we hoped he would be

Drew:  Horrible.  Lazy - doesn't care and should never play another game in Boston.  Send him away immediately and get some young excited ball players up.

Cameron:  No upside at all.  Get a youngster up to the bigs.

McDonald:  At least he tries and hustles

Lowrie:  not a bad role player to keep around

Tek:  Best Catcher in the Sox organization - which should probaby tell you where our scouts are FAILING.

So I don't think I'd blame Francona.  But I'm pretty sure Francona will be fired on or about May 12th. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Georom:  absolute nonsense.  The Sox actually played more games in ST than any other MLB team.  Texas's ST W-L record was about the same as the Sox (and below .500), and they have the best record in the AL.  

schumpeters-ghost:  why complain about the lineup when the pitching is the bigger problem?  The Sox don't just have the worst ERA in the AL, they are almost 2 runs/game worse than the next worst ERA in the AL. 

Here's my diagnosis.  The pitching was horrible last year and didn't improve--at least, not yet. Buchholz seems to have been revisted by the lack of command that sent him back to the minors in 2008 and 2009.  Lackey was bad last year and still is--ditto Matsuzaka.  Lester is actually better than last April, but he was horrible in April.  Beckett might be back and might not.  Of the seven relievers, none is actually reliable, as Jenks proved last night. 

As for the hitting, it's well below expectations, but guess what?  To start winning games with a pitching staff giving up 7 runs a game, the hitting would have to be spectacular.  Most people would agree the hitting will get better, probably a lot better.

But will it be enough when 12 out of 12 pitchers have consistency issues? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]   schumpeters-ghost:  why complain about the lineup when the pitching is the bigger problem?  The Sox don't just have the worst ERA in the AL, they are almost 2 runs/game worse than the next worst ERA in the AL. 

Posted by M1A2[/QUOTE]

You are right - th epitching is horrible too.  I just got too depressed to keep typing.

But FIVE hits last night.  FIVE.

I think we agree that Francona is NOT the problem.  But he will be fired - it is just a matter of time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Agree.  You can't fire the players.  But I thing Terry gets to at least June before he gets canned. 

I say that for this simple reason.  Bad as the Sox are, they have 150 games to play and are officially 5 games out of first place. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

My list of scaapegoats is the 25 players. The coaches may be five percent responsible also. Texas, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay are good teams.             

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

M1A2 nonsense to you...
    since our 2007 championship we have been trending downhill as our payroll has skyrocketed...the past 3 years our april has been maddening with the team and key players being unprepared for the entire first month...it is hurting us aND IT obvious that that apologists for our manager believe nothing is ever his fault- but Ferrell jumped all over our team yesterday with all sorts of aggressive baserunning while 'Coma was once again asleep as our pitching imploded. Everyone on the thread last night knew it was coming and called for a change but we didnt get it til it was 7-3 - thats on Tito because with proactive pitching changes yesterday we would have won that game..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Wasn't going to Jenks the right move? 

Jenks just piped it yesterday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

exactly Scul...I just dont understand how flat and lifeless the Sox have to play for the bootlickers to be critical of our do-nothing manager...btw John Farrell knew exactly what our weaknesses were yesterday and he exploited them mercilessly...think he knows a thing or two about 'Coma's ways???? that is damning imho

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

going to jenks was fine - letting him implode was not and apparent to anyone who was watching the guy - except our sleeping manager

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from littledoug1. Show littledoug1's posts

In Response to Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club:
    [QUOTE]I give our skipper props for being the only person on the planet who could have overcome a 0-3 deficit in the playoffs...his lack of concern and looseness in that situation is exactly what is called for but... It is also the bane of our current existence when spring training is totally wasted on being a club-med for veterans and when we play like we our now - without passion and urgency. He needs to kick some azz to light a fire or he will be history in less than a month.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Again, they brought back the same starters and did nothing to really improve the pen - no lefties?  When 3 good ones were available via FA?

Swapping Vic and Bel with Craw and Gon reminds me of those terrible Mets teams in the early 90's and yankee teams in the 80's - just acquiring the best available bats without any regards to how they fit in the line up......(eg where does Craw bat?  where does he bat vs lefties?  And bringing in Gon means moving Youk away from his strength.....)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i really think the big two were signed for nothing more than to generate flailing interest in the sox (rating were seriously down) and the olde towne team needed to create a buxx but as AndrewM Antiquemen have stated these two signing didnt aPPEAR to improve our team and it may handicap us for a long time - too bad because i drank the koolaid bigtime 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

He really  only needs to make one more and that should be "Tito Thanks but we need some fresh blood in the clubhouse".

Again he left a pitcher in the game to blow up and cost the sox the win. Come on Theo it needs to get done NOW.

[QUOTE]Maybe Theo needs to make 160 more speeches.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Geo - while ur fiery tone isn't misplaced, I think the term "damage" is.
    Tito's ways can be maddening to fans. And I agree his approach may have played a part to this horrendous start. But you have to admit, Tito's been proven right in the long run. You said it yourself: No other manager could have stayed so loose engineering an historic comeback. And while we are seeing the downside to this approach, you have to remember, this season is only half a month long.

We have 2004-2010 to measure the overall effects of his managing. And until it's proven over time that his approach is in fact damaging, he will be in that dugout.

Count on it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Theo Epstein and Francona are humans like us.  No one is perfect and no one can satisfy everyone or make everyone happy. 

Overall, I believe that both Epstein and Francone have done an excellent job with the Red Sox. 

Also, the season just started.  The Red Sox is too good of a team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Perhaps with another manager they would not have been in an 0-3 hole either!

[QUOTE]Geo - while ur fiery tone isn't misplaced, I think the term " damage " is. Tito's ways can be maddening to fans. And I agree his approach may have played a part to this horrendous start. But you have to admit, Tito's been proven right in the long run. You said it yourself: No other manager could have stayed so loose engineering an historic comeback. And while we are seeing the downside to this approach, you have to remember, this season is only half a month long. We have 2004-2010 to measure the overall effects of his managing. And until it's proven over time that his approach is in fact damaging , he will be in that dugout. Count on it.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Perhaps with another manager they would not have been in an 0-3 hole either! In Response to Re: Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous.  Schilling was pitching injured the first game and got hammered.  We scored one run in Game 2.  We gave up 19 runs in Game 3.  Do you ever blame the players when they lose?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Some people here would not last a week as the Red Sox manager or GM. 

Theo and Francona are humans.  Sometimes they do well and sometimes they mess up. 

I'm sure all of us are like that too in our jobs. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Georom along with his other alias's were bashing Farrell all last year. Now he is praising Farrell. Sounds like a troll to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Not it's not. If he had any feel for a game he would not have let the pitchers get shelled. Anytime someone points out this manager is not very good all you can do is make a general statement. He can't possibly be wrong can he. He never leaves pitchers in until the game is lost. How many times did he do it last year? He never learns and lives in his little box. The team doesn't bunt steal hit and run or try any small ball and you wonder why they are losing? The guy cannot manage just admit it.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's easy going ways has damaged this club : Ridiculous.  Schilling was pitching injured the first game and got hammered.  We scored one run in Game 2.  We gave up 19 runs in Game 3.  Do you ever blame the players when they lose?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sun - i really have no opinion on Farrell - not really sure what kind of job he did with the sox (he seemed both good and bad) but do you think it was a coincidence he's been running all over the place? i guess he doesnt know not to feed the trolls

<flush />