Francona's future in Boston...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Francona's future in Boston...

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston...:
    [QUOTE]he'll be in boston as long as theo is. sad but true.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]
     ... for you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think Tito will be the Manager for the Sox for as long as he wants.  He's had some health issues in the past, so that may play into how long he wants to coach. 

As long as the Sox have a good mixture of high priced Free Agents and outstanding home grown talent, then they will need a manager like Francona.

If the Sox decide to go cheap, forego signing Andrian Gonzalez types, promote, minor leaguers who aren't quite ready, then they may need to find a manager that spends more time teaching players, which might not be something that Tito can or wants to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8and33. Show 8and33's posts

Everyone seems to give Francona credit for 2004 & 2007...and rightly so...but for my money his best year as a manager HANDS DOWN was last year. The Sox lost Pedroia and Youk 1/2 a year, Ellsbury for the whole year, plus a bunch of other lesser health issues and still won 89 games in a division that includes the Rays and the yanks. I was a Francona fan after the 2 World Series wins, but last year was when he truly won my respect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone seems to give Francona credit for 2004 & 2007...and rightly so...but for my money his best year as a manager HANDS DOWN was last year. The Sox lost Pedroia and Youk 1/2 a year, Ellsbury for the whole year, plus a bunch of other lesser health issues and still won 89 games in a division that includes the Rays and the yanks. I was a Francona fan after the 2 World Series wins, but last year was when he truly won my respect.
    Posted by 8and33[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Last year, in my opinion, refutes the oft-reiterated notion that he is just a lucky stiff who's only talent is getting out of the way of the big-money all-star rosters the FO gets for him.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : Agreed.  Last year, in my opinion, refutes the oft-reiterated notion that he is just a lucky stiff who's only talent is getting out of the way of the big-money all-star rosters the FO gets for him.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Yea, with Pedroia and Youk gone last season he was down to only about 8 present and former All Stars playing, How he even filled a lineup card with only that number was amazing !! Not to mention that 51 of the total 89 wins came with most of the lineup still intact leaving barely a .500 record, despite still having a superior lineup to most of the opponents faced the rest of the way. Yea he is truely amazing !! I Hope he's here forever !!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

the guys that write the checks all love theo and tito. I don't see anything changing for a long time to come.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... :  Yea, with Pedroia and Youk gone last season he was down to only about 8 present and former All Stars playing, How he even filled a lineup card with only that number was amazing !! Not to mention that 51 of the total 89 wins came with most of the lineup still intact leaving barely a .500 record, despite still having a superior lineup to most of the opponents faced the rest of the way. Yea he is truely amazing !! I Hope he's here forever !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Wasn't just the line-up my friend.  And outside of Beltre and V-Mart, hard to even say anyone's name they were trotting out there and all-star in the same sentence.  Fine if you don't want to give him credit for how he had to restructure the whole focus and balance of the offense on the fly last year.  I am fully aware that those who wish to denounce Francona will give him no credit under any circumstances.  But 8 all-stars?  you shouldn't have to resort to hyperbole to support your arguement, one so strong that you have no choice but to take a mocking, ironic tone when refuting a lame stance such as mine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Wasn't just the Lineup ?? Are you kidding me?? Outside of Beltre and V-mart it is Hard to say Lester and Bucholtz (Cy Young Candidates), Ortiz, Drew (one year Removed from the All Star game MVP) and All Stars in the same sentence? Really ?? About The only focus on balancing the lineup amounts to his Lefty / Righty coordination no matter who he has to stick in to make it so!! Hyperbole... V-Mart, Beltre, Varitek, Drew, Ortiz, Lester, Bucholtz, Paplebon, Okajima, Lackey... did I miss anybody ?? He had these Players if not for all of the season than certainly a good portion of it. All were either present or recently past All-Stars that teams like KC, Cleveland, Minnesota, the Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, and Baltimore would have loved to "trot" out there last season and even with Pedroia and Youk playing in a majority of the games against the Central Division The Sox had a losing record against it !! Go figure, the Inferior Central Division that every time Gardenhire's name is mentioned for MOY all you hear about is what a Lousy, weak division it is !! You Believe what you want to believe but a part of the reason for not making the playoffs last season was a direct result of Tito's inability to handle the Pitching staff especially continuing to go to a closer, in closing situations, who had blown 8 Games last year all by himself, when he had a 100 mph guy, future closer, right there standing next to him !! The Offense was more then fine last season because there were enough, more then enough, big names still active to carry it. That had Nothing to do with Tito's magical "Balancing" the lineup that a second grader could have made out. The major part of not making the playoffs last season was the Injuries like everybody agrees to, I will give you that but, only because Tito needed a full lineup of All stars everyday, much like this season, to make it happen !! Luckily this season Theo Stacked the deck so much so I don't think Even Tito could screw it up !! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]As long as they keep winning in spite of him, they will pick his option up  

I do believe you have all the angles covered, Spaceman,

Excellent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]  Wasn't just the Lineup ?? Are you kidding me?? Outside of Beltre and V-mart it is Hard to say Lester and Bucholtz (Cy Young Candidates), Ortiz, Drew (one year Removed from the All Star game MVP) and All Stars in the same sentence? Really ?? About The only focus on balancing the lineup amounts to his Lefty / Righty coordination no matter who he has to stick in to make it so!! Hyperbole... V-Mart, Beltre, Varitek, Drew, Ortiz, Lester, Bucholtz, Paplebon, Okajima, Lackey... did I miss anybody ?? He had these Players if not for all of the season than certainly a good portion of it. All were either present or recently past All-Stars that teams like KC, Cleveland, Minnesota, the Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, and Baltimore would have loved to "trot" out there last season and even with Pedroia and Youk playing in a majority of the games against the Central Division The Sox had a losing record against it !! Go figure, the Inferior Central Division that every time Gardenhire's name is mentioned for MOY all you hear about is what a Lousy, weak division it is !! You Believe what you want to believe but a part of the reason for not making the playoffs last season was a direct result of Tito's inability to handle the Pitching staff especially continuing to go to a closer, in closing situations, who had blown 8 Games last year all by himself, when he had a 100 mph guy, future closer, right there standing next to him !!

a) It was certainly not Tito's fault that Papelbon had an off-year.
    b) Bard had 7 blown saves/holds of his own.
    c) The rest of the bullpen stunk.

Thanks for highlighting those other problems that Tito had to deal with last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : yeah, i gotta friend who works the beat for a small paper down here.  He was covering the story yesterday.  He was pretty shaken up when I saw him.  Grizzly stuff.  I never used to be shocked by horrific s*%t like that.  But, now that I got a sweet babe of my own, it really got to me.  Completely insane. As for me and Bosox hangin' out, you know I'm just bustin his balls.  IF me and Bosox ever did hang out, I'd wager I'd have him loving Tito by the time we finished our eight or ninth brewski.
    I don't drink, and there is no doubt you'd be calling him "Sit & Spit" by the time you had your 3rd beer..Cool.
    You know that most of what I say is said with tongue in cheek, don't you?

Would you be interested in a bridge that just happens to be for sale????Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Gone by the end of the year. No 9MM extension, a graceful exit however, with many thanks and congratulations for all that he has accomplished....?. For the first time ever I'll be making available the life size"TF" vinyl blowup doll fully accessorized at unbelievably low prices. The new accessory pack contains; (1) bucket of Double Bubble bubble gum, (1) 2 lb. bag of organic Sunflower seeds, (6) Pouches of Red Bull Long grain chewing tobacco, and to wash it all down....(1) case, 24 bottles of Poland Springs Spring Water. The accessory package, A full $29.95 value can be yours for just $19.95. So far I've sold 175 dolls with the Navy Blue Cap and the stylized B (for Bad), not Boston. Initially they sold for $129.00 including Tax and shipping. Many people on this forum are proud owners. ( don't worry,I won't out you Coma lovers). Stay tuned for further developments. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]                         Gone by the end of the year. No 9MM extension, a graceful exit however, with many thanks and congratulations for all that he has accomplished....?. For the first time ever I'll be making available the life size"TF" vinyl blowup doll fully accessorized at unbelievably low prices. The new accessory pack contains; (1) bucket of Double Bubble bubble gum, (1) 2 lb. bag of organic Sunflower seeds, (6) Pouches of Red Bull Long grain chewing tobacco, and to wash it all down....(1) case, 24 bottles of Poland Springs Spring Water. The accessory package, A full $29.95 value can be yours for just $19.95. So far I've sold 175 dolls with the Navy Blue Cap and the stylized B (for Bad), not Boston. Initially they sold for $129.00 including Tax and shipping. Many people on this forum are proud owners. ( don't worry,I won't out you Coma lovers). Stay tuned for further developments. 
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

You forgot the cribbage board !! LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Yes, at the end of the season the BRS will pick up Both options, keeping him on the bench through the 2013 season

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : a) It was certainly not Tito's fault that Papelbon had an off-year. b) Bard had 7 blown saves/holds of his own. c) The rest of the bullpen stunk. Thanks for highlighting those other problems that Tito had to deal with last year.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Yea, they all stunk and the reason for that was his hapless Pitching coach who was to busy working on his resume to do anything with them. Thank Heavens he got a job with the Blue Jays !! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... :  Yea, they all stunk and the reason for that was his hapless Pitching coach who was to busy working on his resume to do anything with them. Thank Heavens he got a job with the Blue Jays !! 

How's the present pitching coach doing?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Curt Young is well, yup too young (and quiet), he will need a few more years experience to be a bona fide pitching coach.  That job is boston's weakest link.  Will BRS make a package of prospects available for TB's Shield's?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]My guess would be the job is his for as long as he wants it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Let's hope that's the case. He does have his haters, but I'd if Titoeventually  left and his replacement failed I would hope his doubters might rethink his value and wish he never left. Some fans are spoiled by the Sox success under Theo and Tito and anything less than a pannant and World Series appearance is considered a failure.

Witness some fans reaction to the Pats going 14-2 last year. After they lost to the Jets some were looking for BBs head. 

Hetchinspete 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : How's the present pitching coach doing?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Doing better then the last one, especially with the mess he was left with !! Lets see last season 4.20 era 22nd in all of baseball this season 3.92 and 14th in baseball !! That works out to about 37 less runs given up then this time last season and that's even with Tito constantly Letting Lackey implode and some top of the rotation guys missing time. I think they will just keep getting better and better the further away from Farrell they get !!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]This should be his last season as the Red Sox manager. Move him to another department. He's good with player relations and motivating the team for the tipping point games, but he is not one of the better field coaches. He's had a great run, but it's a bad idea to just keep going on and on with these jobs. It would be refreshing to see a new face. Bochy is in the same boat as Tito, with his SF option almost surely picked up. I'd like to see Bochy ASAP, as he does more with less. Tito does less with more, most of the time.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Since platooning is the thing in baseball these days I say platoon him with some other manager. he handles the locker room the other manager handles the game strategy !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... :  Since platooning is the thing in baseball these days I say platoon him with some other manager. he handles the locker room the other manager handles the game strategy !!

Dumbest idea I've heard yet. Might as well have designated managing to go along with the designated hitter. Tito only manages in the innings he handles best and have another coach manage the other innings. Or Tito only coaches the pitchers who win for him and someone else handles everyone else.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

then they may need to find a manager that spends more time teaching players, which might not be something that Tito can or wants to do

Tito can't teach young players?

Lester, Buchholz, Paps, Bard, Salty, Pedroia, Youk, and Ellsbury might disagree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone seems to give Francona credit for 2004 & 2007...and rightly so...but for my money his best year as a manager HANDS DOWN was last year. The Sox lost Pedroia and Youk 1/2 a year, Ellsbury for the whole year, plus a bunch of other lesser health issues and still won 89 games in a division that includes the Rays and the yanks. I was a Francona fan after the 2 World Series wins, but last year was when he truly won my respect.
    Posted by 8and33[/QUOTE]

Excellent post!  Last year was a great job by Tito.  2008 was a nice job as well.  He got them back to within a game of the World Series.  I really enjoyed despite not winning it all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : Excellent post!  Last year was a great job by Tito.  2008 was a nice job as well.  He got them back to within a game of the World Series.  I really enjoyed despite not winning it all.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

And the thing to add about 2008 was that he got the Sox to Game 7 of the ALCS despite Beckett, Lowrie, Lowell, Varitek and Ortiz all playing hurt or in Lowell's case, being out in the ALCS, forcing Youk to third and Kotsay to 1B.

Sections
Shortcuts