Francona's future in Boston...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Francona's future in Boston...

I thought Tito peaked in 2008. He should have won manager-of-the-year that year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston...:
    I thought Tito peaked in 2008. He should have won manager-of-the-year that year.
    Posted by harness

LOL... and yet for some strange reason the people who have a vote for MOY Award never seem to give Tito his due. I wonder why that is ?? Even Grady little has recieved more Votes for MOY then the Brilliant Tito. Go Figure hah ?? Not one 1st place vote in 7 years and never finishing higher then 4th not to mention his highest total of votes Trails Grady Little by 6 at 19-13. Good thing Grady didn't win in 2003 because, Like Tito, he may have had a job with this team for life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... :  LOL... and yet for some strange reason the people who have a vote for MOY Award never seem to give Tito his due. I wonder why that is ?? Even Grady little has recieved more Votes for MOY then the Brilliant Tito. Go Figure hah ?? Not one 1st place vote in 7 years and never finishing higher then 4th not to mention his highest total of votes Trails Grady Little by 6 at 19-13. Good thing Grady didn't win in 2003 because, Like Tito, he may have had a job with this team for life.
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

The MOY award is kind of a joke though.  The writers vote for it and I don't think there's much actual analysis put into it.  The thing that seems to impress them the most is when a team has a big jump in wins from the year before.  In fact for 9 straight years, from 2000 to 2008, the AL MOY came from the team that had the biggest improvement in wins over the previous year.  Tito's teams have been very consistent and I think it's actually worked against him in the MOY voting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Of course the MOY award is a Joke, it has to be, since Tito has never won it or finished higher then 4th and has never garnished at least 1 first place vote, not even from a writer in Boston. Is that your reasoning ?? Once again I don't think you really get it and that's fine. I'm really happy that so many on this board, a lot fewer in person, believe Tito is a genious because he is all we have at the moment for a manager. There isn't a significant change in the number of wins for the Sox because when you field a $150 million dollar team each season there shouldn't be. The writers, as well as a few others on this board, many more in person, are aware that with the players the Sox "Trot" out there each season, especially since Tito has been here, the Sox are SUPPOSED TO WIN !! Taking a team with only 60 wins the previous season, with payroll of 30-40 million, with a bunch of young kids, to a 1st place finish is much harder then maintaing a team of All Stars. That Is Why They get The Award !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : Dumbest idea I've heard yet. Might as well have designated managing to go along with the designated hitter. Tito only manages in the innings he handles best and have another coach manage the other innings. Or Tito only coaches the pitchers who win for him and someone else handles everyone else.
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I've had some dumber ideas for sure !!  And with just about any Manager notnamed Francona I might agree !! LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Terry is in the "wise" category of managers. He treats his players like men. He never gets too high or too low.  He tries to balance numbers with his knowledge of individuals. He is liable to second-guessing -- but so have been and still are some of the best field generals. That includes LaRussa, Williams, and now Maddon. 
    Yes, he has pricey talent, but that can add complications of its own. Ask Joe Torre. Speaking of whom, he and Walter Alston are others in the wise category.
    For 162 games, managers travel with and direct men who are not altogether unaware of their own importance. Year after year if the manager remains with the same club, a trick in itself.  After the Reds let Sparky Anderson go, Johnnie Bench said, "We got tired of him." Doubt that any Sox player would express that sentiment about Terry. He wears well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Well, it's a safe bet many of the folks in Philidelphia didn't think he "Wore Well" and I don't believe they would roll out the red carpet to get him back. With that said I don't doubt that Tito is a "Good Guy" and I'm glad you offered a new Catagory for Managers with the addition of the "Wise" manager. I will grant you that he is wise simply by the fact that he gets to watch every game of the season, in one of the best seats in the house, with all you can eat and drink, and not only that, he gets Paid to do it !! So Yes, Wise is a good way to put it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, it's a safe bet many of the folks in Philidelphia didn't think he "Wore Well" and I don't believe they would roll out the red carpet to get him back. With that said I don't doubt that Tito is a "Good Guy" and I'm glad you offered a new Catagory for Managers with the addition of the "Wise" manager. I will grant you that he is wise simply by the fact that he gets to watch every game of the season, in one of the best seats in the house, with all you can eat and drink, and not only that, he gets Paid to do it !! So Yes, Wise is a good way to put it. 
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

Sounds like you think it's a nice cushy job being manager of the Red Sox.  I would think it can be pretty damn stressful at times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : Sounds like you think it's a nice cushy job being manager of the Red Sox.  I would think it can be pretty damn stressful at times.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

It must be... with all the food, beverage, and snack choices available to him. Oh, and lets not forget that lefty/righty balancing of the lineup thing !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Al, you're on a roll...keep going with it!! You'll be on every Coma lovers hit list by tomorrow morning. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Al, you're on a roll...keep going with it!! You'll be on every Coma lovers hit list by tomorrow morning. 
    Posted by eggplants

To late Eggs  I'm already there... LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

It's Terry's job to walk away from.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Posted by ALaGatorAL
    A pathetic attempt to redefine "wise."  Who cares what folks in Philly think? It's 2011, and Francona is in Boston.  Try to keep up. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

as long as Theo needs a yes man, Tito will be the manager...they are a package deal...WHEN ONE GOES, THE OTHER WILL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

georom, I'm pretty sure Theo is going to be around Boston a lot longer than Tito.  So if you really think Tito was hired just to be a yes man, that means the next manager will be too...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : A pathetic attempt to redefine "wise."  Who cares what folks in Philly think? It's 2011, and Francona is in Boston.  Try to keep up. 
    Posted by expitch

I didn't try to define or redefine "Wise" one of your fellow "Titoites" did so it wasn't my attempt but, you are right, it was a very Poor attempt and really an insult to anybody else that was ever called "Wise" in the past !! I know the Year and exactly where Tito is and frankly I liked him better in Philly !! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... :  I didn't try to define or redefine "Wise" one of your fellow "Titoites" did so it wasn't my attempt but, you are right, it was a very Poor attempt and really an insult to anybody else that was ever called "Wise" in the past !! I know the Year and exactly where Tito is and frankly I liked him better in Philly !! 
    Posted by ALaGatorAL
    You redefined "wise" as getting to watch every game from the dugout, getting free food, etc.  Which "Titoite" attempted to redefine the term? Do you forget so soon what you post? You should lend your talents to the Oxford English Dictionary for creative definitions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

expitch... Looking back at the posts I discovered it was none other then youself that first introduced Red Sox Nation to the word Wise as it pertained to Tito. I must confess to getting my definitons mixed up and have since looked up Wise. You are correct, I did try and "Redefine" it. I stand corrected. I confused it with Wisdom, thinking Tito had some knowledge (probably a picture of Theo and a Goat), which goes hand and hand with Wise which I wrongly took away from reading your post. Now that I have looked up the correct definition of Wise I can say that your original post including Wise and Tito in the same sentence is totally off base and still stick with the statement that it is an insult to all The Wise people in the past and present to Include Tito with them !! As far as Wisdom and Tito go, I did find a section in the definition that does apply Directly to Tito and the good people at Dictionary.com Must have known we were talking about Tito, Wise, and Wisdom, because they had the forethought to put into italics the only part of Wisdom that pertained to Tito, for us. I call your attention to duh !!

wis·dom

  [wiz-duhm]   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

expitch... Looking back at the posts I discovered it was none other then youself that first introduced Red Sox Nation to the word Wise as it pertained to Tito. I must confess to getting my definitons mixed up and have since looked up Wise. You are correct, I did try and "Redefine" it. I stand corrected. I confused it with Wisdom, thinking Tito had some knowledge (probably a picture of Theo and a Goat), which goes hand and hand with Wise which I wrongly took away from reading your post. Now that I have looked up the correct definition of Wise I can say that your original post including Wise and Tito in the same sentence is totally off base and still stick with the statement that it is an insult to all The Wise people in the past and present to Include Tito with them !! As far as Wisdom and Tito go, I did find a section in the definition that does apply Directly to Tito and the good people at Dictionary.com Must have known we were talking about Tito, Wise, and Wisdom, because they had the forethought to put into italics the only part of Wisdom that pertained to Tito, for us. I call your attention to duh !! wis·dom      [ wiz -d uh m ]     
    Posted by ALaGatorAL
    Quit when you are this far behind.  That, indeed, would be wise. Its antonym is "foolish."  Take your choice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's future in Boston... : Quit when you are this far behind.  That, indeed, would be wise. Its antonym is "foolish."  Take your choice.
    Posted by expitch

LOL !!

Sections
Shortcuts