Francona's Indians - last place and nowhere to hide...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Francona's Indians - last place and nowhere to hide...

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Only the pettiest of losers would continue to bash the only manager with two series wins in modern Red Sox history on this forum.

Just a reminder he out-managed Hall of Famer Joe Torre leading the Sox back from 0-3 for the first time in profesional baseball history. Learn some respect.

francona never out managed anyone...ever...2004 was a gift from god....he is the same guy who was kicked out of philly...he is about as great as a winning manager as kc jones and mike ditka were...two other champions in name only

You have a point with Mike Ditka.  I loved how he would scream, the team that wins is the team that commits to running the football......in 2006.

Ditka, in 2006, the league was converting to a passer's league, and it's been one ever since.  You need to run the ball only enough to keep defenses honest.  If you have anything decent at QB, you gain far better yards per pass attempt than you do per rush.

I remember thinking: Ditka, get your 1980 cliches out of here.  "Gotta get back to running the football."  Its a new league, and in this new league, you need to throw, throw, throw.  What?  Is everyone else wrong but you?  Because it seems like the teams winning superbowls, are the teams w/ superior QB play.  Just a complete unwillingness to change with the times.

What a joke.  I dont know much about him as a coach (I was born in 84), but I know that as an announcer, he wasnt living in the present.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

5 wins in a row, back to .500 and 3rd place in their division. Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

good for them! glad he's there

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Geo is simply never right about anything.  Someone started a thread about Softlaw never being right, but by comparison, Softlaw looks like Nostradamus.  He started a thread about Strasburg, and no sooner than he posts it, Strasburg goes 0-4, the Nats lose all 5 of his starts, drop out of 1st, and Strasburg goes for an MRI.

I swear, one word out of his mouth about meteors, and I am sleeping in the basement tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Geo is simply never right about anything.  Someone started a thread about Softlaw never being right, but by comparison, Softlaw looks like Nostradamus.  He started a thread about Strasburg, and no sooner than he posts it, Strasburg goes 0-4, the Nats lose all 5 of his starts, drop out of 1st, and Strasburg goes for an MRI.

I swear, one word out of his mouth about meteors, and I am sleeping in the basement tonight.

the post about strasburg wasnt about his record, it was about the idiotic decision to shelve him last year - which you agreed with - now he's injured - i guess that didnt work out so well for his long term health now did it???....only you Joey could take something that you were so wrong about and turn it into something you think you were right about...like beckett...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No guarentee the extra innings wouldnt have hurt him last year AND the fact that they lost because of the bullpen, which had nothing to do with starting pitching. Thus the reason to sign Soriano. The BP was their weakness last year and thats what untimately lost it for them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Where's your boys Bobby Valentine?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Where's your boys Bobby Valentine?

still collecting a check from Boston?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

the post about strasburg wasnt about his record, it was about the idiotic decision to shelve him last year - which you agreed with - now he's injured - i guess that didnt work out so well for his long term health now did it???....only you Joey could take something that you were so wrong about and turn it into something you think you were right about...like beckett...

You suggested he should be able to continue to pitch through the playoffs.  The fact is, they might have already over-pitched him at that point.  Had you had your way, his career might be over by now.  You were 100% wrong.  Admitting to mistakes is the easiest way to learn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

had to laugh at his statement about Jimenez and sticking with him despite him once again on his way to losing 20....playing .375 ball or so and back to his Philly ways...no stars to bail him out there...

man i miss that guy's managerial wizardry...NOT

How's your guy Valentine doing this year?

Valentine was horrible; Francoma was mediocre and overrated

And Farrell?

JF looks like Manager of the year.....when they first wanted to hire him, i really didnt understand the fascination, but eventually it made sense to me considering that the key to success was the starting pitching staff....i cant say one bad word about him thus far - i like his lineups, his pitching changes seem solid, and his press conferences/interview are direct, honesnt, and civil....i truly enjoy listening to him speak - he's sharp and focused

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

JF looks like Manager of the year.....when they first wanted to hire him, i really didnt understand the fascination, but eventually it made sense to me considering that the key to success was the starting pitching staff....i cant say one bad word about him thus far - i like his lineups, his pitching changes seem solid, and his press conferences/interview are direct, honesnt, and civil....i truly enjoy listening to him speak - he's sharp and focused

I didn't have much feelings either way.  He seemed 'okay'.  But you're absolutely right on this one.  Maybe it's partly a BV-hangover, but Farrell seems like he is 100% BB-oriented.  I don't even think he would speak to the press if he didn't have to.  All baseball, all the time.  I don't remember him ever wandering off on a tangent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Francona was part of something I thought I would never see, something my dad never got to see after being a fan for about 60 years, 2 world series wins.

He was badly treated in the end.

Why anyone in boston is happy that his team isn't doing well is beyond me.

I wish the guy well and hope his team has a better record in may.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Francona was part of something I thought I would never see, something my dad never got to see after being a fan for about 60 years, 2 world series wins.

Amen, '67. Some just aren't very realistic. Or smart.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Amen, '67. Some just aren't very realistic. Or smart.

Francona wasn't perfect but nobody is.  He was a very important piece of two very special years.

I'll never forget 04'.  Standing in front of the tv set with my family cheering is disbelief. After all those years of suffering I applaud each and every member of that team.

There were talented teams with talented managers in the past but no ws wins.  I will always be grateful to all the members of the 04' team, francona included.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Francona wasn't perfect but nobody is.  He was a very important piece of two very special years.

I'll never forget 04'.  Standing in front of the tv set with my family cheering is disbelief. After all those years of suffering I applaud each and every member of that team.

There were talented teams with talented managers in the past but no ws wins.  I will always be grateful to all the members of the 04' team, francona included.

Exactly. After '86, I was convinced the Sox were legitimately cursed. I mean, how else to explain what happened. Then to get that one in '04 and then three years later? I tip my hat to everyone on that team, including the skipper. Unfortunately, there are those who had no  concept of reality and expected  a "dynasty," when in fact the personnel changed  dramatically in Francona's  eight seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Exactly. After '86, I was convinced the Sox were legitimately cursed. I mean, how else to explain what happened. Then to get that one in '04 and then three years later? I tip my hat to everyone on that team, including the skipper. Unfortunately, there are those who had no  concept of reality and expected  a "dynasty," when in fact the personnel changed  dramatically in Francona's  eight seasons.

red sox were cursed in 86, blessed in 2004.......but the question is - would Francona have removed Buckner from the game and put in Stapleton in the 9th?  I say NO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

My son became a big fan in 03'.  After the sox lost to the yanks he called me from college.  He was so sad he couldn't stand it.  I told him this was the life of a sox fan and that he would have to get used to it lol. 

The very next year the sox made a liar out of me and I'm glad they did.  The sox could win 30 world series but for me none of them would compare to 04'.

Of course I hope to see more in my lifetime but considering I saw something I thought I would never see I'm a happy camper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

red sox were cursed in 86, blessed in 2004.......but the question is - would Francona have removed Buckner from the game and put in Stapleton in the 9th?  I say NO

We have no way of knowing that do we.  All I know is the man is part of something I will never forget.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well, in every playoff game in 2004, he substituted Meintkiewitcz for either Ortiz or Millar in the 9th. So a really, really, really bad attempt with that one, geo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh, and the Tribe won again tonight. Six in a row, I believe.

How's Valentine's team doing this year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Every manager has a use by date, Tito was great here. He just got stale, he needed a break, to get his Mojo back. It's back. Inepstein he got stale also , Theo was the main reason for Tito's demise, how's he doing in Chi Town? He's a goose. At least he's not GM ing anymore.

Don't discount Tito so quickly, the Indians have some very good ball players. I bet  they will battle Detroit for the division. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to aussiewill2's comment:

Every manager has a use by date, Tito was great here. He just got stale, he needed a break, to get his Mojo back. It's back. Inepstein he got stale also , Theo was the main reason for Tito's demise, how's he doing in Chi Town? He's a goose. At least he's not GM ing anymore.

Don't discount Tito so quickly, the Indians have some very good ball players. I bet  they will battle Detroit for the division. 

Tito's a good guy, I'm glad he's in the dugout again,

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to aussiewill2's comment:

That's probably about as true as anything.  I think both tito and Theo did a fine job, but in the end, they are probably better off having moved on.  It's probably generally true about many jobs that you can only spend so much time in one place.

IRT Theo with the Cubs, I like what he's done so far.  Wood for Marshall is working out, as is Rizzo for Cashner, though the latter will require a few more years to detemine.  Past that, you won't know anything about what Theo's doing for another 3-4 years.