Francona's right

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Re: Francona's right

In Response to Francona's right:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox could have banned beer in the clubhouse long before now. The fact that they wait until the beginning of spring training to do so DOES smack of a PR move, something done to enhance "the brand."
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Woe to that sinister, conniving front office. I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the team and start following the Yankees because of this latest move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

No doubt it was a PR move, but given the bad pub from last year they had no choice really.

Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. How many workplaces do you know that have beer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't think so.  Because, the move was not the front office's to make.  It had to be Valentine's edict.  And there is no way that Valentine could have made that edict before the team was together under his management at Spring Training.  

Now, how much of Valentine's decision was PR?  Dunno.  But I am not sure it matters.  There had to be a clean break from the old ways.  This was part and parcel to that.

But there is no way the front office could have done it earlier.  Had to be Valentine.  Had to be the skipper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think Ortiz said it best:
    "We’re not here to drink. We’re here to play baseball. You know what I’m saying? This ain’t no bar. This is an organization, a place that needs a lot of athleticism. Alcohol has nothing to do with that. People have alcohol in their houses. If you want to drink it, drink at home," 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

WOW LOWELLL, you are really thinking about rooting for Yankees now because the Sox have put a ban on beer.  YOU sure must be a true Sox fan, come on man,get a life.

OH and do you realize the Yankee's are also 1 of 19 other teams to ban beer. Maybe you had better check for teams that have no ban on beer, then pick a team and root for them.

I seriously doubt you are a Sox fan to begin with. That was[is] a ridicilous statement you made.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's right:
    [QUOTE]I don't think so.  Because, the move was not the front office's to make.  It had to be Valentine's edict.  And there is no way that Valentine could have made that edict before the team was together under his management at Spring Training.   Now, how much of Valentine's decision was PR?  Dunno.  But I am not sure it matters.  There had to be a clean break from the old ways.  This was part and parcel to that. But there is no way the front office could have done it earlier.  Had to be Valentine.  Had to be the skipper.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]SPACEMAN......  THIS WAS A GREAT MOVE BY BOBBY V.......  1/  IT SHOWS THAT THERE IS A NEW "TOP COP" IN TOWN. 2/ SHOWS THAT HE IS IN CHARGE OF THE CLUBHOUSE AND THE CHARACTER/STYLE.....   3/ MORE IMPORTANTLY, PROTECTS THE RED SOX FROM BEING ONE AUTO ACCIDENT/DEATH AWAY FROM A LOT OF HEARTACHE & LOSS OF BIG  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......   4/ YES, FOLLOW THE $$$$$$$$$$$$  !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

This is a PR move absolutely, when you stink up an entire month you have to make PR moves. Either way some teams have such bans, others do not, end of the day it probably doesn't win or lose us a single ballgame so who cares?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt it was a PR move, but given the bad pub from last year they had no choice really. Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. How many workplaces do you know that have beer?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

I kept imagining some white collar office workers, days done, so they hit the break room and start cracking brews before they head home! Ummm, yeah, no company in america would allow that on a daily basis, as is/was the case(s, in fact) with Boston.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's right : SPACEMAN......  THIS WAS A GREAT MOVE BY BOBBY V.......  1/  IT SHOWS THAT THERE IS A NEW "TOP COP" IN TOWN. 2/ SHOWS THAT HE IS IN CHARGE OF THE CLUBHOUSE AND THE CHARACTER/STYLE.....   3/ MORE IMPORTANTLY, PROTECTS THE RED SOX FROM BEING ONE AUTO ACCIDENT/DEATH AWAY FROM A LOT OF HEARTACHE & LOSS OF BIG  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......   4/ YES, FOLLOW THE $$$$$$$$$$$$  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Correct on all accounts Bill.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]WOW LOWELLL, you are really thinking about rooting for Yankees now because the Sox have put a ban on beer.  YOU sure must be a true Sox fan, come on man,get a life. OH and do you realize the Yankee's are also 1 of 19 other teams to ban beer. Maybe you had better check for teams that have no ban on beer, then pick a team and root for them. I seriously doubt you are a Sox fan to begin with. That was[is] a ridicilous statement you made.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I should have footnoted my comments as sarcasm in response to the OP.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

PR or no PR as the rationale for the decison is moot in my opinion. It had to be made, could only be made by Bobby V. in front of the entire roster, Staff, Management and Ownership the day he made the statement. 18 other teams before us made this decision, so almost 2/3 of all MLB teams have made no beverage alcohol in the clubhouse an edict for very good reasons, whether it is PR or otherwise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It's not PR. The Red Sox are joining the MAJORITY of teams in MLB in doing so, and the Red Sox abused the privaledge and Francona let them. He's covering his lack of control on the team and deflecting his lack of authority.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]It's not PR. The Red Sox are joining the MAJORITY of teams in MLB in doing so, and the Red Sox abused the privaledge and Francona let them. He's covering his lack of control on the team and deflecting his lack of authority.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    An excellent analysis of the situation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trebor. Show Trebor's posts

ADG hit the nail on the head, this all happend under Tito's watch and now he is trying to get out from under.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Of course it was a PR move, great observation Terry. Who cares.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

To Lowelll, sarcasm accepted, my apoligies to you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Why would any new manager allow that zoo to continue Francona? Take some responsibility for your weakness as a manager last yr...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Put Georom onto ignore.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox could have banned beer in the clubhouse long before now. The fact that they wait until the beginning of spring training to do so DOES smack of a PR move, something done to enhance "the brand."

Are you serious?
    Sooner?

You announce the NEW rules when EVERYONE reconvenes silly man.

Not before.

Realize, MORE than half the teams in MLB have a NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED policy in their clubhouses. The announcement is NOT made by the GM or the PREZ but by the new SHERRIFF (in this case Bobby Valentine) when the season starts. A moment before would be a PR move. If you're going to write as if you've been there perhaps you should have some experience having been there idiot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If Bobby makes a point and takes a very similar team to last season "talent wise" to the PS or beyond it works for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Of course this was PR.  Bobby V's decision was going to be met with some sort of critisism no matter what kind of policy he laid out.  If he says the players can have beer....the headlines would have read something like...different day..same stuff.  With his dicision of no beer or course someone says it's PR.  good on him for setting the tone...grow up boys and play ball. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt it was a PR move, but given the bad pub from last year they had no choice really. Honestly, I don't get what all the fuss is about. How many workplaces do you know that have beer?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

At least 12 other MLB teams and every brewery in the world.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think so.  Because, the move was not the front office's to make.  It had to be Valentine's edict.  And there is no way that Valentine could have made that edict before the team was together under his management at Spring Training.   Now, how much of Valentine's decision was PR?  Dunno.  But I am not sure it matters.  There had to be a clean break from the old ways.  This was part and parcel to that. But there is no way the front office could have done it earlier.  Had to be Valentine.  Had to be the skipper.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

So yo are saying the FO can not make decisions that affect the club house? Definetly sounds like Bill Lee thinking.