Francona's right

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Re: Francona's right

The timing of the announcement sure makes it look like PR.  And let's face it...It HAD to happen after last year.  But I think it was gonna happen either way.  Bobby V had the same policy with the Mets.  If all the drinking and chicken thing never happened, this announcement would have been a footnote...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's right:
    The timing of the announcement sure makes it look like PR.  And let's face it...It HAD to happen after last year.  But I think it was gonna happen either way.  Bobby V had the same policy with the Mets.  If all the drinking and chicken thing never happened, this announcement would have been a footnote...
    Posted by angeroo

If the Globe columnists, Boston media, talk radio hosts, blogs, forums, and other pundits all over-exaggerated ChickenGate and brainwashed RSN into thinking that the collapse was solely caused by chicken and beer - then what the the FO should definitely do to react and neutralize that propaganda is to do what they did through cleaning house with a new GM, manager, coaches, and Public relations. They reacted very logically. The problem that they reacted to was a myth but their response was appropriate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why is beer on flights back to Boston off limits?  So the players can drink on the plane from Boston to Toronto, Toronto to Tampa, but not from Tampa to Boston.  Makes no sense.  In fact, it makes it sound that this is precisely a PR move.  Get hammered out of town, but not in Boston.  Sounds hypocritical.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's right:
    Why is beer on flights back to Boston off limits?  So the players can drink on the plane from Boston to Toronto, Toronto to Tampa, but not from Tampa to Boston.  Makes no sense.  In fact, it makes it sound that this is precisely a PR move.  Get hammered out of town, but not in Boston.  Sounds hypocritical.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Dirty, the idea behind that particular rule is that players get back to Boston hammered, and then have to drive home from the park.  Its a prevention of drunk driving issue, not the same kind of 'culture' establishing rule as the clubhouse ban.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Of course it's a PR move. I thought what goes on in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Valentine could have banned beer just like he did at other stops. That the decision became public is absolutely a PR move because of what happened. To some degree, it's very superficial.

The problem last year wasn't beer in the clubhouse. The problem was the drinking of beer during the game, which shows a lack of focus. Banning beer is superficial. If a player wants to get drunk and fat on beer, he'll just split as soon as the game is over for the local bar. 

As for alchohol in the workplace, each workplace is different. I'm sure there are plenty of CEO offices that have 60-year-old scotch and a good bourbon in them. Popping one beer with teammates after a game as a way to unwind can help build comradary with each other and it's hardly going to be a cause of some drunken driving accident. If a player is going to abuse beer drive home drunk, he can easily do it in a bar. 

Personally, I don't care either way. Like I said, having a beer to unwind after a game isn't going to hurt anyone. But if a manager doesn't want, again, big deal. Go home and pop a beer at home or in the hotel room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

valentine wants them to focus on the game and support their teammates...not divert themselves ina  selfish way because they arent playing...that is sound policy and needed...I think Francona treated these guys like men and they acted like teenagers...and now in true high school fashion, everyone had to be punished...but its not just about pr, it was a real problem last yr that hurt our club and cost us the playoffs....

Sections
Shortcuts