Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him?

Red Sox manager Terry Francona joined The Big Show on WEEI on Wednesday.

Francona said he felt bad that the team sent Beckett when he ended up being unable to help the American League, but that he was proud of the right-hander for not putting himself in a bad position.

"I actually told him, 'Josh, you deserve to pitch in this game.' I feel that way with all our guys," Francona said. "I said, 'Just promise me if it's not right, you'll use your head' He did, and I'm proud of that. He didn't take this lightly. He respects the game. … He respects this game a lot, and at the same time, if he can pitch, he should. That may not help us, but I think it's good for baseball and I think he deserved it."

The manager said that he believed the body of work over the regular season should determine home field advantage rather than the All-Star game.

"Maybe the significance of this game has run its course," Francona said. "I don't know. [David] Price couldn't pitch the other day, but he's going to open up against us, so that turf toe must be getting better. I understand. These guys get beat up during the year, and they probably all do have nicks and things, including David Price. It's just the idea -- I know what they were trying to do with the game, and I think they accomplished it, but maybe it's run its course. There's maybe better ways to figure out home field [advantage]."

Francona said the game is "probably unfair to a lot of people," including managers, given that the game is played like an exhibition, yet has major implications.

"I just think the way they're playing the game, with the fan voting, they want interviews in the dugout, they want a lot of things to make it not like a regular season game, and then at the end you end up treating it like the most important regular-season game of the year," Francona said. "It's just not real consistent, and there is a lot riding on it."

Francona has been a manager in the All-Star game twice, but said it is such a busy time that it's hard to enjoy.

"It's so corporate, there's so much going on," he said. "I know that it's needed, but it's tough. I know for me, you fly in Sunday night, and you're already kind of tired. You get up early Monday morning for a breakfast, then a news conference, then you finally get to go to the ball park, and you sign probably two hours worth of things for the game. 

"Every time you turn around, somebody's in your face. You don't get to enjoy very much just the game itself or the players. I know the most fun time I had was when I locked myself in the room with Jim Leyland, and we told stories. Now, it didn't get to last very long, but that's the enjoyment of getting to meet these players and watch them play, and the relationships, but it's not very much because there's always somebody tugging at you." 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him?

I agree it's not as much fun for the mgr as it is for everyone else

as far as being proud of beckett for not doing anything dumb

sure why not

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not much to disagree with except the part about not being able to enjoy the experience given all the distractions and pregame responsibilities (sounds like he's whinning to me). The All Star Event for a fan that pays for the tickets is about as good as it gets for a baseball junkie. Trust me I'd trade places with him in dare I say a NY minute!

My take on the game itself, is that if the game really counts and the league continues to have home field in the World Series as the prize for the winning league. Then, the best players from each league should play and if you're a starting pitcher that's been selected to the squad. Then it''s the responsibility of your manager and owner to insure you're able to pitch on Tuesday. If a player (pitcher or position) choses not to play or the team influences the decision and sites an injury as the reason, the player should have to placed on the standard 15 day DL retroactive to the last day he pitched!

This one counts is the mantra the league chose to highlight the importance of the All Star Game, but does it really count as much as tonights game for the Rays? Who clearly held Price out so he'd be ready to go tonight against the Sox which is the right decision if your teams 6 out and have the team your trailing as your first opponant after the break. Does it really count when Beckett is told to "be smart" and not go if his knee isn't right...trust me in game 162 if the Sox are playing to get into the post season, he'd take the ball if they had to wheel him out to the mound. So the reality for MLB is that the game while it now has more importance than before when it was simply an exibition, still isn't as important as a regular season game in the big picture of grinding it out and trying to make the postseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The All-Star Game lost its luster a long time ago, hitting its worst with the extra-inning tie. Sure there was the Drew All-Star game that had drama and plenty of memorable ones prior to the 1990s, but now it's everyone gets to be picked to the All-Star Team, and many don't play even if they are dressed. I don't see the point of letting any pitcher go past 3 outs. Throw 9 pitchers in 9 innings or 10 or 11 if you can. Get everyone in. But what if a guy is helping you win like AGON or Youkilis. Just too many guys. Too many things for the manager to worry about. Get rid of the All-Star Game as "meaningful." It's an exhibition game and that's it. Selig has blown this thing into a joke. As for guys missing, seems to be a ritual for everyone now to miss if they have any kind of hangnail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Hey, at least Beckett didn't back out with a wuss-puss excuse. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Too funny, Zac!

Geez. You should give lessons in PhotoShop!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]Hey, at least Beckett didn't back out with a wuss-puss excuse. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

call me  crazy soups

but i'm thinking you

just implied that'' just coming off the DL '' is a wuss-puss excuse

naa you couldn't of meant that

thanks summerof67

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him? : call me  crazy soups but i'm thinking you just implied that'' just coming off the DL '' is a wuss-puss excuse naa you couldn't of meant that thanks summerof67
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Lol.  Thought that would get you.  Just sayin' hi, Zac.  Figured if you were going to post a picture of Becks in a baby carriage, you could handle the comeback.  Sorry.  If Beckett doesn't pitch well on Sunday, there's good reason to think he might also be headed for the DL. 

More to the point of the discussion, I think the home-field thing is just freaking ridiculous.  I thought that even when the AL was dominant in these affairs.  It just doesn't make any sense.  By this logic, a 50-50 club could earn home field honors over a 100 win team.  That's just the tip of the iceberg, though.  

NL pitching dominated the best hitters in the AL.  The irony is, the NL didn't play small ball to win that game; all they needed was Fielder's bomb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Francona's thoughts on the All-Star Game-Do you agree with him? : Lol.  Thought that would get you.  Just sayin' hi, Zac.  Figured if you were going to post a picture of Becks in a baby carriage, you could handle the comeback.  Sorry.  If Beckett doesn't pitch well on Sunday, there's good reason to think he might also be headed for the DL.  More to the point of the discussion, I think the home-field thing is just freaking ridiculous.  I thought that even when the AL was dominant in these affairs.  It just doesn't make any sense.  By this logic, a 50-50 club could earn home field honors over a 100 win team.  That's just the tip of the iceberg, though.   NL pitching dominated the best hitters in the AL.  The irony is, the NL didn't play small ball to win that game; all they needed was Fielder's bomb.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Bomb?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

solid post soups

I don't know why the HF thing bothers so many

2 me it  seems  just as random as the old way

I have to wonder if some of the anti bud selig stuff

isn't in play for
    some

and it has been successful

as far as  helping  the players focus on the game more

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]I agree it's not as much fun for the mgr as it is for everyone else as far as being proud of beckett for not doing anything dumb sure why not  
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Rivera and Jeter didn't even make a token appearance.  At least Arod had an excuse.  I applaud Becket for not jeopardising the rest of the season especially since Lester and Bucholtz are still missing in action. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

They ought to do it like the pro bowl. after the season and playoffs are over. That way, you actually get the players that have been consistent all year, not just half.
    Granted, they would have to play in a venue with a temperate climate, but that should not be hard.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I may actually agree with Francona on this one. Here's something to consider... Do the Players, that get selected no matter how (Fans, Players, Fill in for Injured selectee), have to give back any bonuses their contract may provide for, if they don't actually go to the game ?? Looks like a MLPA ploy to get more players All Star Bonuses then there should be !! LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The All-Star Game lost its luster a long time ago, hitting its worst with the extra-inning tie. Sure there was the Drew All-Star game that had drama and plenty of memorable ones prior to the 1990s, but now it's everyone gets to be picked to the All-Star Team, and many don't play even if they are dressed. I don't see the point of letting any pitcher go past 3 outs. Throw 9 pitchers in 9 innings or 10 or 11 if you can. Get everyone in. But what if a guy is helping you win like AGON or Youkilis. Just too many guys. Too many things for the manager to worry about. Get rid of the All-Star Game as "meaningful." It's an exhibition game and that's it. Selig has blown this thing into a joke. As for guys missing, seems to be a ritual for everyone now to miss if they have any kind of hangnail.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

You took these words right off my key board - as I was about to hit 'em.

THIEF!