Free Agents and RS moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Free Agents and RS moves

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DAD & BILL-806 are OK with the moves so far........  More moves are coming with Salty,Jacoby and others going !!!    Ben has a plan and will execute it in the days ahead !!

[/QUOTE]

His plan is to overpay for players so Lucchino and gang can show the fans they are spending the money to justify the $100+ box seats and continue the consecutive bogus sellout streak.

[/QUOTE]

thats quite the conspiracy theory!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lance Berkman would have been a much better signing to play 1B, and for about half the cost.

[/QUOTE]

Then if Boston is going to that way, they will lead in MLB for the second consective year for the most players on DL.

[/QUOTE]

Get a clue. Before last year, Berkman has averaged 142 games per season in his first full 12 years.

Do your homework before you make unsubstantiated comments like that. And learn to write in English!

[/QUOTE]

You need to do your homework too!!  His first two seasons, he only played 34 games and 114 games before playing ten straight seasons by playing over 136 games.  So therefore, you cant just say he average playing 142 games for 12 season.   Anyway, two of his last three seasons, he have been on DL at least three times.  Just like Jacob Ellsbury.  

I could take him if he accept a bench role at the same time he accept reasonable cheap discount contract.  But like Ben C. said, he rather to have a guy that can play both corner.

Why I must have a good english writing if I am a deaf man?  Do you know that deaf people write worser english grammar than a normal person.

Quit bashing on people who cant write.  As long they can have the baseball knowledge!!

[/QUOTE]

I said his first "full" 12 seasons. You can READ can't you? 3 times on the DL in two years? Wow, that's a lot. We've had players go on the DL as many as 5 times in one season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny how the RS overpaid for two guys who have had many productive careers. As well as good guys. 

Yet the Braves are praised for the 15 mil for BJ Upton who has had two very good runs in his career both leading to and in the playoffs (2008 and 2012). And has had issues in the clubhouse. Remember Longoria calling him out for not hustling and fans many times did not like his "attitude" here in Tampa. 

Other than that he is just like Carlos Pena a 220 hitter with 20 HRs (maybe) a lot of strike outs and great Defense The exact reasons why the Rays never can get over the hump. 

[/QUOTE]

actually his defense only appears to be that good because of his athleticsim. He makes bad reads on the ball but because hes fast and atheletic, he can make up for it. He makes a catch look harder than it actually had to bebecause he can cover a lot of ground quickly...

But I do agree with your point. Why bash the Sox for overpaying a little for 2 quality guys who have had good careers so far and compliment the braves for Upton.

[/QUOTE]

It's not that they overpaid, it's that napoli and Gomes are not even starting players, they are back-ups. It's also been said that 13M for Victorino was on of the worst moves a GM could make.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's not that they overpaid, it's that napoli and Gomes are not even starting players, they are back-ups. It's also been said that 13M for Victorino was on of the worst moves a GM could make.

Said by whom exactly? The only people I've seen saying that are you and ADG.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lance Berkman would have been a much better signing to play 1B, and for about half the cost.

[/QUOTE]

Then if Boston is going to that way, they will lead in MLB for the second consective year for the most players on DL.

[/QUOTE]

Get a clue. Before last year, Berkman has averaged 142 games per season in his first full 12 years.

Do your homework before you make unsubstantiated comments like that. And learn to write in English!

[/QUOTE]

You need to do your homework too!!  His first two seasons, he only played 34 games and 114 games before playing ten straight seasons by playing over 136 games.  So therefore, you cant just say he average playing 142 games for 12 season.   Anyway, two of his last three seasons, he have been on DL at least three times.  Just like Jacob Ellsbury.  

I could take him if he accept a bench role at the same time he accept reasonable cheap discount contract.  But like Ben C. said, he rather to have a guy that can play both corner.

Why I must have a good english writing if I am a deaf man?  Do you know that deaf people write worser english grammar than a normal person.

Quit bashing on people who cant write.  As long they can have the baseball knowledge!!

[/QUOTE]

I said his first "full" 12 seasons. You can READ can't you? 3 times on the DL in two years? Wow, that's a lot. We've had players go on the DL as many as 5 times in one season.

[/QUOTE]

jacoby has been on the DL twice in his entire career.. and yet you and the whine brigade never fail to mention how "injury prone" he is..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wanted the Sox to sign Berkman also to a 1 year deal. Then make a trade with KC's 1B Hosmer. The Sox could of had Berkman starting the line up, and Hosmer pinch hitting/back up ( the future 1B after one year with the Sox). I do like Napoli on the roster only negative is the cost was little high those three years will go by quick, if Papi retires after his contract expires, then Sox will know what Napoli's probability as a Red Sox DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wilbur said it today I believe

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

jacoby has been on the DL twice in his entire career.. and yet you and the whine brigade never fail to mention how "injury prone" he is..

[/QUOTE]

I never mentioned Ells. I was referring to Youk, Drew, and I think Beckett as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

The Red Sox are setting the market, hardly signing based on the current market.

[/QUOTE]

Right and as Shaughnessy saud oday they've signed B players for A+ money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Eric Wilbur is a noted baseball authority. Please resume whinging.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to joyceand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox are setting the market, hardly signing based on the current market.

[/QUOTE]

Right and as Shaughnessy saud oday they've signed B players for A+ money.

[/QUOTE]

Shaughnessy and Wilbur are two peas in a pod.  I'm sure they have much better ideas of how to quickly assemble a powerhouse on the cheap LOL

Just look at it this way - we're getting back to a competitive team, we still have money to spend and we have many more good prospects than we did a few years ago.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Alibiike three questions for you.. 1.) So you're saying Mike Napoli is a backup now? 2.) What is the exact figure Lance Berkman agreed to play for the Red Sox? You seem sure he would play for the Sox at half the price (keep in mind Youk may get 12 million from Yanks), 3.) So you "heard" the Victorino move is the worst a GM could make... worse than Carl Crawford 22 million a year for 7 years? Worse than Dice K? Worse than Lackey? Call me crazy, but maybe let Victorino play one game... just one one game before we call it the worst.

I'm not in love with Cherry's moves last year (until the big trade), but you have to give a GM some time. Would it kill Sox fans to let things play out a little?!?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox could have acquired R. Johnson for 1 to 2M, used Kalish on the CF depth chart, and added Sizemore and/or Pods for minor league contracts at a total max cost of 5 or 6M for one season. But, no, they are going to pay 40M for 3 years of the great Shane. Nice work, Cherry.

[/QUOTE]

and then you'd cry that we have a payroll of 190Mil and we're only spending 110Mil and to top it all of we would finish in last place yet again. we are a large market team and can afford to overpay good players on shorter year deals. WS team? probably not, but 93 loss team? no way

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The FO has the right approach in terms of signing these free agents.  In most cases, teams will end up overpaying for a free agent to fill a need.  It's better to overpay in dollars than it is to overpay in years or in prospects.  This is especially true for the Sox this year since they have the money to spend without going over the cap.

The Sox overpaid for Ross, Gomes, and Napoli, IMO, but all of those deals are short term and will not hamper the team from making further moves this year or in the future.  They also will not block any potential upcoming prospects.  They also allow the team to be competitive next year while continuing to build a strong farm.  If any of the players end up being a bust, the contracts will not handcuff the team.

So far, good job this offseason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The FO has the right approach in terms of signing these free agents.  In most cases, teams will end up overpaying for a free agent to fill a need.  It's better to overpay in dollars than it is to overpay in years or in prospects.  This is especially true for the Sox this year since they have the money to spend without going over the cap.

The Sox overpaid for Ross, Gomes, and Napoli, IMO, but all of those deals are short term and will not hamper the team from making further moves this year or in the future.  They also will not block any potential upcoming prospects.  They also allow the team to be competitive next year while continuing to build a strong farm.  If any of the players end up being a bust, the contracts will not handcuff the team.

[/QUOTE]

cheers kimmi. at least there are people who get what the FO is trying to do

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post, RedSoxKimmi...good insight on what they are trying to do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suppose if Moonshine or Bribemey would have said, you would give it merit, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suppose if Moonshine or Bribemey would have said, you would give it merit, right?

[/QUOTE]

Who are they? Obviously not part of the crybaby brigade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

3 years is not short term for guys in their 30's. you do realize that if Nap or Vic underperform we are stuck with them since no one in their right mind would assume those contracts unless the Sox paid half.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look at this way. If, at the end of the season, word was out that The Sox were going to get Gomes, Napoli, Victorino, and D Ross, would you have been ok with it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I am satisfied with the early returns from Free Agency for the Sox. They had needs at Catcher,Corner outfield, 1rst base and Starting pitching. They have addressed 3 of there needs. Catching is settled with the additions of Napoli and Ross. first base is also going to be covered by Napoli and whomever else they sign,they got two OF'ers who take care of their corner needs in Gomes and Victorino and at the same time gives them leverage if Ellsbury is trade bait,as Victorino is really an excellent CF. The only spot they haven't addressed is SP. They did however strengthen their bullpen with the addition of Uehara he was other worldly last season in Texas.I would like to see them pull off a onesided trade in their favor as that would make my offseason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look at this way. If, at the end of the season, word was out that The Sox were going to get Gomes, Napoli, Victorino, and D Ross, would you have been ok with it?

[/QUOTE]

well seeing as at the end of last season i had swisher/naps to cover C/1st/OF and also had SV on my radar that is 2 people i personally wanted on the team that actually happened. D Ross is a great defensive catcher and a perfect fit for the team so i'm ok with that. i don't like the gomes signing but he hasn't even played a game w/ us and it looks as if he will be a part-time player anyway. and i LOVE the Uehara signing.

so to answer your question, yes i would have been ok with 4/5s of the proposition.