Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox:
    In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : If his cancer was back he would know it....lets remember, this regression started last year...
    Posted by CA_Sox

The first sign of regression was September of 2010

I called it out then and people jumped all over me

And yet here we are today........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's mostly mental with him.

I've been saying that for years.

He needs to grow up.  He's not much better than Lackey the way he behaves on the field.

Of course, his stuff isn't quite there anymore either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

How can everyone else get BS hit by pitch calls for them but us.... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How can everyone else get BS hit by pitch calls for them but us.... 
    Posted by zack5042

The went to the Derek Sanderson Jeter School of Diving In and Flinching?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : The first sign of regression was September of 2010 I called it out then and people jumped all over me And yet here we are today........
    Posted by andrewmitch

I take it farther back than that AM. Remember how bad he got shelled in the 08 ALCS? We all expected him to come through in game 3, and he ghacked it up. That was after we won game 1, SHOULD have won game 2, and then came home for that 5 o'clock game, and it was meatball after meatball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : I take it farther back than that AM. Remember how bad he got shelled in the 08 ALCS? We all expected him to come through in game 3, and he ghacked it up. That was after we won game 1, SHOULD have won game 2, and then came home for that 5 o'clock game, and it was meatball after meatball.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Yes - I often cite that Game 3 start - that was when he gave the very hot Longoria and the ultra hot Upton pitches right in their wheelhouses - I was furious

In fairness, he did make it up in G7 but he's not a very good PS pitcher

G2 - that was Drew's fault.  You have seen me post on this matter before, right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Regression for Lester would be good. This is a new Lester who is just ineffective. Can't command his pitches, doesn't mix them up, waits too long to use the change up, etc. I'm not blaming Salty, but would consider Shoppach for Lesters next start. Also, maybe Bobby needs to review the game plan. Like Beckett, Lester likes to throw nothing but fastballs early on, regardless of how well they are being hit. Tonight the change up was effective, but was not thrown enough and not until the fourth inning.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I check the box scores every day. There are plenty of strong pitching performances all the time. Pitchers going eight innings , giving up one run. Seven shut out innings , complete games , etc.   Not seeing any of that with the Sox staff. We are not getting dominant performances from any of our starters. Beckett has been the best , but he has not been a dominant starter either.  And that has been the problem. The pen has been great. The starters have been terrible.  So , I don't think you can blame the pitching coach. Lester and Buchholz have enough experience. They need to figure it out. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : I think it should be outlawed, it's not right because players are out of position. Typical Madden crap.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Should the secondbaseman be required to play in close proximity to second base the way that the firstbasemen and thirdbasemen typically play their positions? Or is the traditional positioning of the secondbaseman just another shift?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

and maybe JOHN FARRELL was a better pitching coach than i ever gave him credit for.
    Posted by mryazz

Remember how much everyone was on Farrell about how he was a bad pitching coach right before he left. Everyone was happy he left. Well it looks like he was much much better than everyone gave him credit for.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : Yes - I often cite that Game 3 start - that was when he gave the very hot Longoria and the ultra hot Upton pitches right in their wheelhouses - I was furious In fairness, he did make it up in G7 but he's not a very good PS pitcher G2 - that was Drew's fault.  You have seen me post on this matter before, right?
    Posted by andrewmitch

I'd been inclined to blame 2 on Beckett's injuries, no way he was himself in that game. But I do remember you posting something about Drew not going all out on a pop fly along the line or something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

RE:  Pitching Coach and BB's & Homers

Sox starters have got to be near the top of staffs who have given the most free passes (BB + HBP) and the most Homers

Could be a systematic problem and you could hold the pitching coach accountable

I don't know

I have TWO RULES when pitching - THROW STRIKES and KEEP THE BALL IN THE PARK.......Sox starters have failed miserably

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : I'd been inclined to blame 2 on Beckett's injuries, no way he was himself in that game. But I do remember you posting something about Drew not going all out on a pop fly along the line or something.
    Posted by TheExaminer

if we had a healthy Lowell and Beckett we win the series e-z

Drew did not position himself properly for the last play of the game -  a SHALLOW WINNING SAC FLY

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Drew Sutton is getting payback for us letting him go -_-

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : Should the secondbaseman be required to play in close proximity to second base the way that the firstbasemen and thirdbasemen typically play their positions? Or is the traditional positioning of the secondbaseman just another shift?
    Posted by hill55

as long as they are in FAIR TERRITORY they can be anywhere they want

there is only ONE man who can be in FOUL GROUND when the pitcher is in delivery and that's the catcher of course

it's an offical baseball rule

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : Should the secondbaseman be required to play in close proximity to second base the way that the firstbasemen and thirdbasemen typically play their positions? Or is the traditional positioning of the secondbaseman just another shift?
    Posted by hill55

IMO there should be a general area where a fielder can play. Football does it. WR's and TE's have general areas where they have to line up. It's a silly argument because it'll never happen, but my point is the extreme stuff, like having the second  baseman in middle right field. That's ridiculous, what is this softball?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : IMO there should be a general area where a fielder can play. Football does it. WR's and TE's have general areas where they have to line up. It's a silly argument because it'll never happen, but my point is the extreme stuff, like having the second  baseman in middle right field. That's ridiculous, what is this softball?
    Posted by TheExaminer

as long as they are in FAIR TERRITORY they can be anywhere they want

there is only ONE man who can be in FOUL GROUND when the pitcher is in delivery and that's the catcher of course

it's an offical baseball rule

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : if we had a healthy Lowell and Beckett we win the series e-z Drew did not position himself properly for the last play of the game -  a SHALLOW WINNING SAC FLY
    Posted by andrewmitch

No doubt. Lowell didn't play at all in that series, and he was the heartbeat of that team. I was just thinking the other day how much I miss him out there. He was the best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think sometimes we become too fond of the players. When they fail , we blame the manager , the coaches , the trainer ,  the umpires , the shift ,  the media , the " negative " fans , the peanut vendor , etc.  Everyone but the players. These guys are making big bucks to play this game. They should be held accountable for their performance. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I check the box scores every day. There are plenty of strong pitching performances all the time. Pitchers going eight innings , giving up one run. Seven shut out innings , complete games , etc.   Not seeing any of that with the Sox staff. We are not getting dominant performances from any of our starters. Beckett has been the best , but he has not been a dominant starter either.  And that has been the problem. The pen has been great. The starters have been terrible.  So , I don't think you can blame the pitching coach. Lester and Buchholz have enough experience. They need to figure it out. 
    Posted by dgalehouse

Yup and Lester's middle name is "6IP/4ER"........and did you hear Tom Caron today?  He said "Lester has been great in his last 2 starts"

6IP/4ER last Sat night - and TC thinks that's great?  Unbelievable........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : as long as they are in FAIR TERRITORY they can be anywhere they want there is only ONE man who can be in FOUL GROUND when the pitcher is in delivery and that's the catcher of course it's an offical baseball rule
    Posted by andrewmitch

I understand what the rule is, what I'm saying is I don't like it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : No doubt. Lowell didn't play at all in that series, and he was the heartbeat of that team. I was just thinking the other day how much I miss him out there. He was the best.
    Posted by TheExaminer

He's replacement killed me - Sean Casey.  Terrible Terrible Terrible.  Zero tool player for us.........Or better yet, Mark Kotsay....where did Theo find these guys?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : IMO there should be a general area where a fielder can play. Football does it. WR's and TE's have general areas where they have to line up. It's a silly argument because it'll never happen, but my point is the extreme stuff, like having the second  baseman in middle right field. That's ridiculous, what is this softball?
    Posted by TheExaminer

Not the same thing. In football , the defense can play anywhere they want.  You have 3/4s , 4/3s , nickle backs , dime backs, etc. 

Sections
Shortcuts