Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]  I posted this following 2 weeks ago under "What to do with Wakefield". Seems an appropriate copy & paste here: Before I make my suggestion, let me say I’ve always liked Wakefield & still do.  In fact, as a 70’s senior, I tend to root for ALL older athletes.  However, as they say, "Business, is Business”.  He’s tried now 4-5 (now 6) times to win # 200.   As a good gesture, I would not pitch him against a low era pitcher (do it vs. Burnett & Yankees) but one from whom we can be expected to hit & give Wake at least 5 runs so that he has a good chance to win # 200.  Then,  either retire him or let him do some relief for a couple of innings.  I believe he can fool teams the first time around but good hitters figure him out and his slow sinking balls can come across as big as a softball the 2nd or 3rd time around.  Let’s not forget that the “300 club” is among the highest accomplishments a starting pitcher can achieve and only 25 have done it I believe. Some retired  with exactly 300 & a few others right after. It seems that this goal of 200 is a big plum for Wake, the Red Sox & the Fans so let it be and then, let him retire.
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]
    200 wins will not be the end. Wake still wants to break the Sox all time win record. Currently Cy Young and Roger Clemens are tied for it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Come on Papi !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

If Sox lose tonight they will be 2-4 in Wake's last 6 starts.  Time to pull the plug. Put him the bullpen and bring him in the 5th inning of a game they have a big lead in so he can get the 200th.  That's the only way he will get it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Baltimore 9-1

Both NYY/Baltimore games tomorrow have been PPD until september. guessing they'll play 2 monday....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox : 200 wins will not be the end. Wake still wants to break the Sox all time win record. Currently Cy Young and Roger Clemens are tied for it.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

And I want to play RF next year for them too.  Neither are going to happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox : 200 wins will not be the end. Wake still wants to break the Sox all time win record. Currently Cy Young and Roger Clemens are tied for it.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

well, how many more does he need?  let him get it and then, please, retire him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

The  truth  is  the  Sox  should  have  let  Wakefield  go  after  the  Aaron  Boone  homer  in  2003.  Sox  fans, like  most  fans, tend  to  overrate  their  players.  Wakefield  has  always  been  a  mediocre  pitcher, playing  for  a  good  ball  club.  I'll  be  glad  when  Wakefield  and  Varitek  are  let  go.  Both  have  been  mediocre  for  a  long  time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Before tonight's play started, I had the Sox taking 2 of 3 from Oakland, and NYY taking 3 of 5 from Balt. That would mean a wash in the standings, but the magic # would drop to 29 when NYY comes to town Tues. I hope for more, but I thought that was reasonable. NYY could possibly lose 3 of 5 if their pen is taxed too heavily, we'll see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox : well, how many more does he need?  let him get it and then, please, retire him
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    He needs seven more. That could take a long time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]The  truth  is  the  Sox  should  have  let  Wakefield  go  after  the  Aaron  Boone  homer  in  2003.  Sox  fans, like  most  fans, tend  to  overrate  their  players.  Wakefield  has  always  been  a  mediocre  pitcher, playing  for  a  good  ball  club.  I'll  be  glad  when  Wakefield  and  Varitek  are  let  go.  Both  have  been  mediocre  for  a  long  time.
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

wake wasn't always mediocre, there was that year in the mid 90s, he was really good with wins in the high teens and not many losses

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

no way can Wake be on the playoff roster.  He's the number 6 starter at best and they only need 3 in the first round and 4 thereafter.  You can't bring him in a close game in relief so he has no playoff value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Before tonight's play started, I had the Sox taking 2 of 3 from Oakland, and NYY taking 3 of 5 from Balt. That would mean a wash in the standings, but the magic # would drop to 28 when NYY comes to town Tues. I hope for more, but I thought that was reasonable. NYY could possibly lose 3 of 5 if their pen is taxed too heavily, we'll see.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Exam. they're losing 9-1 tonight, both games tomorrow have been ppd until Sept. i guess they'll play 2 monday before coming to fenway....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]The  truth  is  the  Sox  should  have  let  Wakefield  go  after  the  Aaron  Boone  homer  in  2003.  Sox  fans, like  most  fans, tend  to  overrate  their  players.  Wakefield  has  always  been  a  mediocre  pitcher, playing  for  a  good  ball  club.  I'll  be  glad  when  Wakefield  and  Varitek  are  let  go.  Both  have  been  mediocre  for  a  long  time.

Well, one problem with that is what he did in game three of the 2004 ALCS. Can't forget about that. If he doesn't come on the pen is a wreck and the comeback might not have happened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox : Exam. theyre losing 9-1 tonight, both games tomorrow have been ppd until sept. i guess they'll play 2 monday before coming to fenway....
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Really? I hadn't heard that about them ppd tommorow's games. Hmmm, that complicates things a bit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Back to the game ... Gio Gonzalez has thrown 86 pitches through five innings and the A's bullpen should be worn out after Thursday's blowout.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And jbay, that news about ppd in Balt. makes this game loom a little larger for the moment. A comeback win would be huge now, and a loss stings a little more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stick a fork in Burnoutt & co. 12-1 now. No comeback today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]And jbay, that news about ppd in Balt. makes this game loom a little larger for the moment. I comeback win would be huge now, and a loss stings a little more.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

burnett 9 runs in 5 innings.

if NYY play 2 on monday, that bodes well for the sox, who will had have two days off.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

You do know that Wake pitched 3 scoreless innings in game 5 of the ALCS in 2004, oh and he got two wins in that 2003 ALCS, or made the all star team as recently as 2009? Wake hasn't been servicable lately and is losing his place in the rotation, but do not try and discredit what the man has done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

If Wake walked into Fancona's office after the game an said, "I'm done. I retire". You think Tito would respond, "Gee! Hate to lose Ya! Watch out for the door on the way out"!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Why is Darnell McDonald swinging at a 3-1 pitch while hitting .197 ? incredible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread:Athletics vs. Red Sox : wake wasn't always mediocre, there was that year in the mid 90s, he was really good with wins in the high teens and not many losses
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

1995.....won 13 or 14 in a row, ended up 15-1. Also had a 17 win season. Don't recall the year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

That stinks. Should have gotten at least one there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I do not blame Ellsbury on that I question DMAC swinging at a 3-1 pitch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]no way can Wake be on the playoff roster.  He's the number 6 starter at best and they only need 3 in the first round and 4 thereafter.  You can't bring him in a close game in relief so he has no playoff value.
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Wakefield won't be on the playoff roster.  He won't be the 3rd or 4th starter and won't be in the bullpen.  The Red Sox have enough bullpen pitchers and especially if Buchholz is back.