Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on

First time Salty and Redd faced Rivera. We'll hope they took something away from the experience that will help them in the future. Great game though. Very exciting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on

In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : What???? Why does CC have any choice or option...the manager needed to tell him to get his azz on 2nd base early in salty's count to have a couple of cracks to score the tying run....I cant believe what i didnt see in that last inning...abso sickening
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

How long did Dave Roberts wait? What was it, second, third pitch? He was on second, and the rest you know. There is NO OPTION there, you RUN. What is wrong with Carl Crawford? I'd really like to hear his explanation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Unfortunately we had to win this one tonight with Lackey and his inconsistancy pitching tomorrow. What the hell happened to our offense at home this homestand. Come on. The home run derby has had an effect on Gonzalez. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Tito will spin this somehow. Crawford has a confidence problem.

In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : How long did Dave Roberts wait? What was it, second, third pitch? He was on second, and the rest you know. There is NO OPTION there, you RUN. What is wrong with Carl Crawford? I'd really like to hear his explanation.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Well. I'm done venting for tonight.  See you later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

To all the NYY who don't have the class of guys like Jeter let me just say you all used to chant 1918 at us and all I can say is 2004.

Long way to go friends...long way to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : What???? Why does CC have any choice or option...the manager needed to tell him to get his azz on 2nd base early in salty's count to have a couple of cracks to score the tying run....I cant believe what i didnt see in that last inning...abso sickening
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Base stealers get the green light, but ultimately it's up to them because they have to be comfortable with the read. Obviously, I don't know yet if Tito gave him the green light ... jeeze louise, I'd have to think he did. But I can't imagine what Crawford was wating for, though, because Rivera wasn't even glancing his way.
    Either way, I agree ... awful last inning. But not nearly as bad as the fifth. I'll have nightmares about that one all night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

No offense, no wins especially against the Yankees. Looks like a very easy sweep. 

Someone (maybe a journalist) should ask the great and unquestioned  Dave Magadan for comment. Someone, of course, not employed by the Boston Red Sox of course.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : Nothing to sleep off, son. And I believe proportionately speaking, championships to seasons, either the Celtics or Les Canadiens are best franchises historically. Wasn't it the Yank-mes who were first team EVER to lose a series after 3-0 lead ?
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

You need to be set straight, so here goes:

1) The 3-0 deficit has happened before in Hockey, with the Islanders, and the Bruins JUST Last year.
    2) The Canadiens have 24 Cups in 101 yrs; which includes only 6 teams in the first 57 yrs, and 12 teams for about a decade after that, this 70 yr period was when they won most of them.
    3) The Celtics won 17 Titles in 65 yrs; in the first 20 yrs the NBA had 10 teams or less 
    4) The Yankees won 27 Titles in 108 yrs; the fewest teams ever by MLB was 16.

The Yankees are widely considered the greatest sports team in history, whether you like it or not. The fact that you even broach this subject on a night over a single regular season loss says more about you than anything else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvenezolano. Show elvenezolano's posts

With 104 pitches a pitcher should be changed. I estimate the Sox's loss hangs on the manager.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Tito will spin this somehow. Crawford has a confidence problem. In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on :
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Yip. You got it. At the plate, on the bases, in the feild. Have you noticed how many times this year he's lost track of how many outs there were when he's caught a fly ball? Fortunately, he's always made the mistake of thinking he caught the second out when it was the third. Heaven help us if he does the opposite and there's a runner on third. I like this guy, and I still think he'll eventually become himself, but for now it's painful to watch, and it's costing us GAMES.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : You need to be set straight, so here goes: 1) It's happened before in Hockey.   2) The Canadiens have 24 Cups in 101 yrs; which includes only 6 teams in the first 57 yrs, and 12 teams for about a decade before that after that, when they won most of them. 3) The Celtics won 17 Titles in 66 yrs; the first 20 yrs had 10 teams or less  4) The Yankees won 28 Titles in 108 yrs; the fewest teams ever was 16. The Yankees are widely considered the greatest sports team in history, whether you like it or not. The fact that you even broach this subject on a night over a single regular season loss says more about you than anything else.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Steve is this really necessary????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : steve is this necessary????
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Considering the poster, yes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : Considering the poster, yes.

Steve it's a Sox game thread. most of the nyy fans show up here only when the nyy are winning and start with the insults. what do you expect? tough loss. let it go

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

great game folks, gotta be up early tomorrow......have a good evening all...catch you all in the am...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : Steve is this really necessary????
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

He defends and promotes the Yankees more than I personally would. "27" means almost nothing to me, and the majority is usually wrong, so I don't care about what's "widely accpeted". I hate the Yankees and will give them credit for nothing. 20 of their WS wins were before color tv, or any tv at all. A whole different era, reserve clause, no revenue sharing, no free agency. No wonder they won all those WS. Almost meaningless to anyone outside Yankeeville. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on :   Steve it's a game thread. most of the nyy fans show up here only when the nyy are winning and start with the insults. what do you expect? tough loss. let it go
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

You have a point. However, I've seen you respond to idiots as well. I'll concede that Next time, I'll think twice before responding to someone like this.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]great game folks, gotta be up early tomorrow......have a good evening all...catch you all in the am...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Oh shut up ...
    Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]                        He took a first pitch fastball strike. After that he was forced to hit a breaking ball and couldn't do it. 

Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE

This is not a knock on AGon BUT, the bases are loaded, 2 outs, tight game (2-0), and the man, AGon at the plate.  Takes a low 1st pitch fastball over the middle of the plate for a strike.  Why?  Is AGon up at the plate to try and get a walk to bring in 1 run.  Your the man AGon, swing at that 1st pitch fastball over the plate.  Then AGon swings and misses 2 breaking pitches by a mile.  That 1st pitch was the one baby.  Oh well, AGon is human.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : He defends and promotes the Yankees more than I personally would. "27" means almost nothing to me, and the majority is usually wrong, so I don't care about what's "widely accpeted". I hate the Yankees and will give them credit for nothing. 20 of their WS wins were before color tv, or any tv at all. A whole different era, reserve clause, no revenue sharing, no free agency. No wonder they won all those WS. Almost meaningless to anyone outside Yankeeville. 

I was responding to a RS crank. Also, that's because you don't know the crucial element the RS had in setting up the Yankees, started via pivotal RS owner Harry Frazee; who you probably know nothing about. I will say this much; the RS were a powerhouse until he dismantled the team via his frivolities, starting with Ruth. Up to that point, the Yankees won nothing for 20 yrs. Afterwards came several other players (including HOFers) & FO personnel from the RS, including Ed Barrow, a FO HOFer. (Also, good FO orgs always had good teams; Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, As, etc.) It's a Cain & Abel story; which has led to the current rivalry; there the present has been linked for you.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]Kind of a quick hook. Girardi knows the game is on the line here.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Wonder what Francona would have done if he was faced with that situation?  Don't tell me.  I think most in the Red Sox Nation knows exactly what Francona would have done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : That's because you don't know the crucial element the RS had in setting up the Yankees, started via RS owner Harray Frazee; who you probably know nothing about. I will say this much; the RS were a powerhouse until he dismantled the team via his frivolities, starting with Ruth. Up to that point, the Yankees won nothing for 20 yrs. It's a Cain & Abel story; which has led to the current rivalry; there the present has been linked.

Everybody knows about that Steve, but I'm not talking about the rivalry or how it got started. My point is I don't hold the Yankees up as some kind of example of ultimate sports greatness the way most do. You yourself confirmed what I'm saying when you said the Sox were a powerhouse back then, and sold their birthright (more like Jacob and Esau than Cain and Able). So it could have just as easily been Boston with 20+ WS if not for the frivolity of the Boston owner. That means they're nothing special. They were somewhat good, and then lucked into the rest. Kind of like Paris Hilton--born somewhat cute--and into money. They had good players, but also had more money because of being in NY. All they needed then was Frazee, and you know the rest. Kind of like Paris being offered movie roles and appearance money just because of who she is, and not because she's good at anything. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : You have a point. However, I've seen you respond to idiots as well. I'll concede that Next time, I'll think twice before responding to someone like this.  

thats why i stopped posting on the forum. realized it wasnt worth it and was  lowering myself to a level i didnt want to be. i asked BDC to remove my page, but realized i wouldnt be able to do the game threads. i posted today for the first time in a long time because of the series. barely even look at the forum anymore. its become something it shouldnt be. grown men acting like children on a playground. my father is better than your father. the attacks, insults name calling. very sad

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : Everybody knows about that Steve, but I'm not talking about the rivalry or how it got started. My point is I don't hold the Yankees up as some kind of example of ultimate sports greatness the way most do. You yourself confirmed what I'm saying when you said the Sox were a powerhouse back then, and sold their birthright (more like Jacob and Esau than Cain and Able). So it could have just as easily been Boston with 20+ WS if not for the frivolity of the Boston owner. That means they're nothing special. They were somewhat good, and then lucked into the rest. Kind of like Paris Hilton--born somewhat cute--and into money. They had good players, but also had more money because of being in NY. All they needed then was Frazee, and you know the rest. Kind of like Paris being offered movie roles and appearance money just because of who she is, and not because she's good at anything. 

That's an inaccurate read of MLB history.  The Yankees early on saw something in Ruth the Sox didn't see, plus they had the bucks to get him.  And Ruth wasn't the only Yankee great during that period, nor was Ruth around when the Yankees won all those other WS titles.  The Yankees have 27 WS wins because they spent the money and most of the time had a smart organization.  The Sox didn't get smart until John Henry came in and put together a smart organization.  Ted Williams was almost as good as Ruth, but with him the Sox couldn't win a single WS. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Night Baseball Thread: Yankees at Red Sox - The battle for first place is on : Everybody knows about that Steve, but I'm not talking about the rivalry or how it got started. My point is I don't hold the Yankees up as some kind of example of ultimate sports greatness the way most do. You yourself confirmed what I'm saying when you said the Sox were a powerhouse back then, and sold their birthright (more like Jacob and Esau than Cain and Able). So it could have just as easily been Boston with 20+ WS if not for the frivolity of the Boston owner. That means they're nothing special. They were somewhat good, and then lucked into the rest. Kind of like Paris Hilton--born somewhat cute--and into money. They had good players, but also had more money because of being in NY. All they needed then was Frazee, and you know the rest. Kind of like Paris being offered movie roles and appearance money just because of who she is, and not because she's good at anything. 

Partly valid, but the Paris analogy is a little much; you see her making movies, but you don't see her winning any academy awards, do you? As far as luck is concerned, the reason the Cardinals & Dodgers have great pasts is because of Branch Rickey, who happened to have said "luck is the residue of design"; the reason the RS floundered for decades was Tom Yawkey, with his country club atmosphere; so luck is a subjective attribute.