From 5-3 road trip to promising 11 game home stand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

From 5-3 road trip to promising 11 game home stand

This road trip was a 5-3 trip, and interesting that we scored 25 runs and the Reds, 23. They are, admittedly, a bad hitting team, but the RS pitching opened, I'm sure, a lot of eyes. As did the "leaders", Cespedes, Napoli, Pedroia and the STARTING PITCHING.

This team is a 10 game winning streak away from getting in the race. It's been done before, many times, and I feel as confident about this group as I did in early 2013. I truly believe that once the PawSox are done, Betts will fill a hole badly needed there in the 7 or 8 spot, Bradley will make a super "Roberts" pinch runner, late inning center fielder.

No Offensive Contributions were made, on this trip, by Bradley, Middlebrooks or the new catcher, Butler. Bogaerts finally looks like he will be the SS for a long time. Holt has become the John Havlicek of the 2014 Red Sox. Things have not looked this bright, to me, at any time this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: From 5-3 road trip to promising 11 game home stand

Who cares?! They still stink...what will they win this year?

Pink is the color of the day...I'm not willing to give the RS a pass for an atrocious season. Kudos for winning last year and well deserved raspberries for their utter failure this one.

And in your heart you know I'm right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Tough season no doubt. I like the role of the spoiler that i previously posted. We definitely need at least 3 out of 4 from Stros in any hope of chasing down Tampa and climbing out of the wine cellar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

They need to go like 34 and 9 the rest of the way to maybe wild card. Don't think that will happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They need to go like 34 and 9 the rest of the way to maybe wild card. Don't think that will happen.

[/QUOTE]

Why not? I'm not laying odds that it will, but I've seen a lot stranger things happen. How big a shocker would it be if they went 10-1 on this home stand. That, at least, is not impossible. One Game at a Time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This road trip was a 5-3 trip, and interesting that we scored 25 runs and the Reds, 23. They are, admittedly, a bad hitting team, but the RS pitching opened, I'm sure, a lot of eyes. As did the "leaders", Cespedes, Napoli, Pedroia and the STARTING PITCHING.

This team is a 10 game winning streak away from getting in the race. It's been done before, many times, and I feel as confident about this group as I did in early 2013. I truly believe that once the PawSox are done, Betts will fill a hole badly needed there in the 7 or 8 spot, Bradley will make a super "Roberts" pinch runner, late inning center fielder.

No Offensive Contributions were made, on this trip, by Bradley, Middlebrooks or the new catcher, Butler. Bogaerts finally looks like he will be the SS for a long time. Holt has become the John Havlicek of the 2014 Red Sox. Things have not looked this bright, to me, at any time this year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your joking? I always chuckle at those who think a "10" game streak here or 12 out of 15 there will propel a putrid team back into contention. The totality of the situation is always much more relevant than the sum of its parts. The cold hard fact is this...from now until the final out of this season the sox could realistically lose about 8-10 games and perhaps slip into the back door of the playoffs. If they won 10 games in a row starting today they would still have to go 23-10 to even have a shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kidding?

not happening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your joking? I always chuckle at those who think a "10" game streak here or 12 out of 15 there will propel a putrid team back into contention. The totality of the situation is always much more relevant than the sum of its parts. The cold hard fact is this...from now until the final out of this season the sox could realistically lose about 8-10 games and perhaps slip into the back door of the playoffs. If they won 10 games in a row starting today they would still have to go 23-10 to even have a shot.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this as i keep preaching Spoilers at best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I like the never-say-die attitude, but the reality is that we're 15 games back this morning even after the fairly encouraging road trip...the Twins, Phillies, Cubs, and Padres are closer to first place in their respective divisions than we are in ours. Let that sink in for a moment.

We are a seemingly less hopeless 10.5 back in the wild card, but with 8 teams in front of us. To get to 85 wins and maybe have a prayer at getting to that one-game playoff, we'd have to go 31-12 (.720 ball) the rest of the way.

We are well and truly out of this thing, and there's no shame in admitting it. At the very least the last two series have given me hope that the next six weeks or so won't be the 2012-level embarrassment many of us expected after the deadline trades.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The goal should be to finish the season as close to 500 as possible. Let's get to 5 games under and go from there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i would love to see 10 in a row.  or 19 of 20.

2007 Rockies ring a bell.

does that make me a "pink hat"?  guess what......i dont give a FLIP.

other names i have posted under:  none

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is over the top by a bunch, but I have had similar thoughts.  Put it this way.   Dumping some pretty good pitchers has strangely helped because the hitting was so bad, by far the worst in the John Henry era.  Time will tell whether this temporary fix is helping.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

MHO???

This season has been over for some time in regards to reaching the PO's.  If one chooses to look back the word 'disaster' come to mind, but looking forward there's promise.  

The FO needs to make the best of what this is - which is what they're doing.  They've identified that this team NEEDS a power  hitting OF'er.  Maybe Cespedes, maybe not, but someone.  Ideally two someones, but that's ideally.  They also need a 3B who can hit. Not exactly earth-shattering revelations, but they're confirming what we already know. 

They've probably identified that there is no need to spend big money on a catcher, and there's no urgent need to make changes at 2B or 1B although Napoli could be expendable if necessary for the RIGHT trade.

The Starting Rotation looks better than I thought it would although I didn't set the bar all that high for them after Lester and Lackey left.  I just hope they don't get lulled into a sense of complacency and think that they don't NEED a TRUE TOR starter.

IMO the FO is doing what they have to do - evaluating what they've got and seeing what they need.  This is something that's usually done during the first 1/3 of a season so they're getting a head start on figuring out the needs.  AND this team now seems to have a winning attitude.  They actually seem to be enjoying themselves again!

Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not? I'm not laying odds that it will, but I've seen a lot stranger things happen. How big a shocker would it be if they went 10-1 on this home stand. That, at least, is not impossible. One Game at a Time.

[/QUOTE]

Although 10-1 would be nice, I can see 5 and 6 in the future. They always seem to gain momentum at the end of a road trip and then lose it once they return to Fenway. Why is that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Be careful only top 11 picks are protected in Draft. Right now we are tied for 8th.