From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans

Congrats to Jeter.  I was kinda hoping he'd go 0-fer the next two games, but he put his stamp on it in a rare way.  Good for him.  

I was even glad to see Mo and George as the first to greet him.  I know as a Red Sox fan, that may sound odd, but I have always appreciated commitment, support and loyalty.  These three have been supporters of that and in a classy way.

Now my question.

It's a perfect baseball Saturday afternoon.

It's a super rare possible moment in baseball history -only 27 other players in MLB history have accomplshed this (Yaz and Boggs included, btw) and UNIQUE moment in NYY history.

And only 48,000 NYY fans show up to see it?

Fenway is SRO even against the pits, but NYY FANS CAN'T SELLOUT THE STADIUM FOR THIS UNIQUE (possible) MOMENT IN ITS HISTORY?

Don't understand it.

How can the Stadium not be sold out?  Tight race.  Beautiful day.  Jeter at 2,998 ....

?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans

Actually it was sold out. They turned away others, and they didn't do SROs.

Amusing anecdote: Who was the only other player to Homer for his 3K Hit?

Wade Boggs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans

In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans:
    [QUOTE]Congrats to Jeter.  I was kinda hoping he'd go 0-fer the next two games, but he put his stamp on it in a rare way.  Good for him.   I was even glad to see Mo and George as the first to greet him.  I know as a Red Sox fan, that may sound odd, but I have always appreciated commitment, support and loyalty.  These three have been supporters of that and in a classy way. Now my question. It's a perfect baseball Saturday afternoon. It's a super rare possible moment in baseball history -only 27 other players in MLB history have accomplshed this (Yaz and Boggs included, btw) and UNIQUE moment in NYY history. And only 48,000 NYY fans show up to see it? Fenway is SRO even against the pits, but NYY FANS CAN'T SELLOUT THE STADIUM FOR THIS UNIQUE (possible) MOMENT IN ITS HISTORY? Don't understand it. How can the Stadium not be sold out?  Tight race.  Beautiful day.  Jeter at 2,998 .... ?????    
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Were you there? I was. It was sold out. No SRO available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Michael Kay said 48000 were there ...

Has the stadium seating shrunk?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Googling .... 50,287 seating
                     52,325 with SRO ...

So I'm a bit confused if 48,000 (I realize it was rounded up by Kay) sounds a bit less than ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans:
    [QUOTE]Googling .... 50,287 seating                  52,325 with SRO ...       So I'm a bit confused if 48,000 (I realize it was rounded up by Kay) sounds a bit less than ....

I never heard that capacity for YS III, it sounds like YS II. The Yahoo link provided below said it was a sellout crowd. If it wasn't, my answer is : too pricey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans:
    [QUOTE]Congrats to Jeter.  I was kinda hoping he'd go 0-fer the next two games, but he put his stamp on it in a rare way.  Good for him.   I was even glad to see Mo and George as the first to greet him.  I know as a Red Sox fan, that may sound odd, but I have always appreciated commitment, support and loyalty.  These three have been supporters of that and in a classy way. Now my question. It's a perfect baseball Saturday afternoon. It's a super rare possible moment in baseball history -only 27 other players in MLB history have accomplshed this (Yaz and Boggs included, btw) and UNIQUE moment in NYY history. And only 48,000 NYY fans show up to see it? Fenway is SRO even against the pits, but NYY FANS CAN'T SELLOUT THE STADIUM FOR THIS UNIQUE (possible) MOMENT IN ITS HISTORY? Don't understand it. How can the Stadium not be sold out?  Tight race.  Beautiful day.  Jeter at 2,998 .... ?????    
    Ticket prices sky rocketed for his 3000th. Maybe those high priced seats were left vacant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Congrats to a player who played the game the right way, and no off the field drama. The HR was a nice touch...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

Please use google before you spout similar diarrhea...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I highly doubt Fenway would sell out everyday if their seating capacity was closer to the 50,000 range. I cannot say for sure, but an extra 13,000 tickets sold per game is not easy to come by, even for Boston fans.

I am kind of surprised by this thread Yaz. Seems like you are taking a shot at NY fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans:
    [QUOTE]In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : I highly doubt Fenway would sell out everyday if their seating capacity was closer to the 50,000 range. I cannot say for sure, but an extra 13,000 tickets sold per game is not easy to come by, even for Boston fans. I am kind of surprised by this thread Yaz. Seems like you are taking a shot at NY fans.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

In an effort to be completely straight forward, Jess,

1.)   I was just surprised when Kay said 48,000 ....

2.)   I haven't paid to see a major or professional sporting event in Boston since 1988.  I haven't lived in NE since 1971.  I haven't driven a car since 1997.

So, I know there are countless fans like me who rarely go to the events, but I was still surprised at the announcement by Kay.

EDIT:  Jess, The extra 13,000 I've talked about before.  Metro NY (about 8.5 million) is many times the size of Metro Boston (Boston proper is less than 700K).  If Metro Boston was 6 times larger, I think that might easily make up 13,000 tickets.  Mass. as a state only has about 6.5-7 million.  Add NH, ME, VT, which are not all Boston fans, it totals about 9.85 million.  NY state by itself is over 19 million or so.  I didn't count CT ... a 50/50 split - which some would question.

Heck ... I forgot NJ ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : Were you there? I was. It was sold out. No SRO available.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

NO, Cam ...wasn't there, wouldn't be there.

But I had not thought of the sellout plus ticket "agents" who might overcharge.

I did hear of the cost of the ticket prices rising ... and I didn't take scalpers (agents) into account.

Thus, my assumption may have been in error.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : I never heard that capacity for YS III, it sounds like YS II. The Yahoo link provided below said it was a sellout crowd. If it wasn't, my answer is : too pricey. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=310709110
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I know YS II was about 55,000.  That was a decline of several thousand as seats were widened and certained other areas explanded.

But I'll repeat myself as I did with Cam ... did not think of scalpers not selling all of their golden eggs.  (At which point, I smile.  I dislike scalpers.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

There is no more of a Yankee hater than myself.  That aside,

I am a huge Jeter fan, in line with the words and comments heard so often by Francona and others about how he goes about playing the game and setting a standard for all other MLB players.

Congrats, Derek.  You have earned every accolade that comes your way today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

More sour grapes from a classless red flops fan. Does it really bother you that much that Jeter has more hardware than your entire sorry excuse for a team?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Got to give it up for Jeter!  Classy guy that now just has another impressive milestone on his HOF resume. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : More sour grapes from a classless red flops fan. Does it really bother you that much that Jeter has more hardware than your entire sorry excuse for a team?
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

come on babe! don't take it out on yaz just cause Michael Kay is a moron that can't count or see the forest from the trees. You saw and heard all the compliments from not only the red sox players but from a ton of sox fans in here. Yaz is a good guy and a good poster. he wasn't being classless. we/I are all glad for Jeter and his fans. ok?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 10/27/2010
    Last: 7/10/2011
    In Response to From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : More sour grapes from a classless red flops fan. Does it really bother you that much that Jeter has more hardware than your entire sorry excuse for a team?
    Posted by --The--Babe----

come on babe! don't take it out on yaz just cause Michael Kay is a moron that can't count or see the forest from the trees. You saw and heard all the compliments from not only the red sox players but from a ton of sox fans in here. Yaz is a good guy and a good poster. he wasn't being classless. we/I are all glad for Jeter and his fans. ok?

"old paratroopers never die, they just go to hell and regroup!"

Thanks, Hammah,

But babe couldn't see or pay a compliment if his life counted on it. 

Not to mention that if he'd read the conversations with NYY fans, I realized that scalpers prolly hold the extra tickets ....

BTW
      My sons' HS soccer coach was 'Nam paratrooper.  I volunteered with his for three seasons.  He taught them how to fall somewhat based on his 'trooper days.

Several years later, my older son did his AIT at Ft. Bragg with the 86th ....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : come on babe! don't take it out on yaz just cause Michael Kay is a moron that can't count or see the forest from the trees. You saw and heard all the compliments from not only the red sox players but from a ton of sox fans in here. Yaz is a good guy and a good poster. he wasn't being classless. we/I are all glad for Jeter and his fans. ok?
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Nah, since yaz is an toolbox. There were plenty of good comments from great fans in here...sadly yaz is not one of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: From a Sox Fan, congrats to the Captain....one lingering question to his fans : Nah, since yaz is an toolbox. There were plenty of good comments from great fans in here...sadly yaz is not one of them.
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

I opened my toolbox and found an item labelled -------The--Babe---------------

Coincidence? Or is it your reserved moniker starting in 2012 when you run out of dashes?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Good for Jeter...tough-minded guy to play his whole career in the fishbowl..and do it well.