From big basher to big booster on Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

From big basher to big booster on Lackey

For the better part of 3 years, I was a big Lackey basher.  Couldn't stand the guy!  Seeing him come back this off season, in perhaps the best shape of his life, I decided to give the guy one last shot.  His attitude seems radically different to me.  He's in great shape.  He seems focused & driven.

Tonight....  I'm really seeing for the first time..............  that this guy can actually PITCH!

Good on you John!!! 

:)

Hard work & dedication can never be under estimated!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: From big basher to big booster on Lackey

ive been saying this all year long -its like he took a big look in the mirror and decided to give himself a total physical and attitude make over.....he and dempster are thirty something guys who give it their all - unlike the young felix D who doesnt care enough to even try to get prepared to do well

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

He seemed always to get along well with his teammates...in the past and now in the present.

And, admirably, stayed with the team throughout his rehab.

And, he pitched for a long time in constant pain trying to help the team without ever crying about it or making excuses.

I'd take him on my team anytime...then and now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I don't think he was ever really healthy here. His last year his elbow was hanging by a thread. People who are in pain tend to be grouchy. Even more so when they are the kind of person who will not blame poor performance on injury.  He's a warrior. He's also touching 94 mph. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

I don't think he was ever really healthy here. His last year his elbow was hanging by a thread. People who are in pain tend to be grouchy. Even more so when they are the kind of person who will not blame poor performance on injury.  He's a warrior. He's also touching 94 mph. 

Good word---warrior

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, hes actually not been bad this year. Hes had a lot of stupid things happen to him in games, and had the biceps issue, but his pitching itself has actually been decent over all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I have never been a fan of the signing.I thought he was a below average pitcher even when he had his best stuff working.I really expected a 4.70 or 4.80  ERA from him.He aggravated me they with way he would react  when a teammate made an error too.

He seems a lot different this year.I don't know if it's because Beckett's gone or if he finally feels "right" physically or a combination of things.Whatever it is,it's working for him in a big way.I'm happy to be wrong about him and hope he keeps proving me wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I have never been a fan of the signing.I thought he was a below average pitcher even when he had his best stuff working.I really expected a 4.70 or 4.80  ERA from him.He aggravated me they with way he would react  when a teammate made an error too.

He seems a lot different this year.I don't know if it's because Beckett's gone or if he finally feels "right" physically or a combination of things.Whatever it is,it's working for him in a big way.I'm happy to be wrong about him and hope he keeps proving me wrong.

No more arm issues that had to be frustration. No more personal problems dealing with a divorce. And no more crazy clubhouse that has now bit ridded of all the whiners and replaced with good baseball guys. Glad to see him looking like hes enjoying the game again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I think his reaction to an error being made was strictly an emotional response to the event and not necessarily an accusation to the player...if that makes any sense to you.  He's just an emotional guy.  Ask me...I'm guilty as charged.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Holy #%$&, Lackey is actually helping the Red Sox win games!!!  Surprised

I still think he's a spy sent by the Angels.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before tonight's big game by Lackey, he had some intersting comparative numbers with our other starters:

SIERA

1) 3.29 Lackey

2) 3.46 Buch

3) 3.69 Demp

4) 3.74 Lest

5) 4.11 Doub

League AVG: 4.07 (AL 4.07)

tERA

1) 3.11 Buch

2) 3.73 Lack

3) 4.05 Lest

4) 4.34 Demp

5) 4.57 Doub

League AVG: 4.51 (AL 4.59)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Discussing contracts that have already been signed is like closing the gate after the horses have escaped.  Or, like getting the water back after it has gone over the dam.

Although certainly correct that contracts may have been excessive, what's the point dwelling on 'what should have been' or 'what could have been'?

Wouldn't it be beneficial to all to discuss just the present?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

So, the rank in innings by Lackey is a statement by you of his inadequacy.

This being the case, and the contract already being signed, what would be your present day suggestion?  That's a question.

Does the fact that he's pitching pretty well please you?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to SandfordsSon's comment:

Lackey came to the Red Sox and we were all hopeful that he would be worth his high salary. He did not deliver due to injuries, personal problems,  time on DL, surgery, recovery. A huge disappointment.

Some claimed that he was too emotional when the defense was not perfect in back of him. His body language expressed his frustration with umpires, his performance, and a few bad plays on defense behind him. His wife got cancer. He later got divorced. He pitched despite his injuries. He was a gamer.

Now that his personal injuries are behind him and has had TJ surgery ( Yes, he was pitching injurred) and has had time to recover since his personal problems ( wife's cancer and his divorce ), he got into better condition both mentally and physically, is determined, is motivated, and the results are paying off. He was always liked by his teammates.

During those bad times for Lackey, many Red Sox fans  were dismayed, disappointed, and  needed a scapegoat since a highly paid player, by definition, must be productive / accountable, and lead you towards a World Series Trophy. Such fans feel entitled. That didn't happen.

Lackey is doing well now and the Lackey haters are coming out of the closet. They are saying " I always expected more, he was overpaid, he had a bad attitude,   --- but don't get me wrong " I will love the guy if he ever turns it around." They are wiping the egg off of their face and saying " Don't get me wrong, I was always a Sox fan".

All is forgiven when a basher for years admits that he was impatient, assuming, flippant, obstinate, and uberpassionate ( without logic  or reason) does a 180 degree about face and talks like a different person.

All of the above is presuming that such poster was indeed a genuine Red Sox fan.

Nice post...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The present is that Lackey has a long way to go before he preforms well enough for a season to deserve any confidence.

Let's just do the present and "one day samples", as good little cheerleaders and subjects.

Where does Lackey rank in innings pitched, this season. That's not a question.

I'm not sure what that not-a-question was supposed to say.  Is it implying that IP is an indication of how effective a starting pitcher is?  Is it more valuable than ERA?  or WHIP?  Or any other metric?  Or is it just a cop-out, implying that he hasn't proven anything?

At this point in the season we're beginning to get a handle on the pitching staff, i.e who can pitch and who can't. 

Although Lackey is 4th of the 5 starters in IP (due in no small part to his bicep injury) he's 2nd of the starters in ERA and  and 3rd in WHIP. 

This is a new John Lacky, complete with a new elbow and I'm liking what I'm seeing.  To compare him to anything "old" John Lackey has done in the past is comparing apples and oranges. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The present is that Lackey has a long way to go before he preforms well enough for a season to deserve any confidence.

Let's just do the present and "one day samples", as good little cheerleaders and subjects.

Where does Lackey rank in innings pitched, this season. That's not a question.

I'm not sure what that not-a-question was supposed to say.  Is it implying that IP is an indication of how effective a starting pitcher is?  Is it more valuable than ERA?  or WHIP?  Or any other metric?  Or is it just a cop-out, implying that he hasn't proven anything?

At this point in the season we're beginning to get a handle on the pitching staff, i.e who can pitch and who can't. 

Although Lackey is 4th of the 5 starters in IP (due in no small part to his bicep injury) he's 2nd of the starters in ERA and  and 3rd in WHIP. 

This is a new John Lacky, complete with a new elbow and I'm liking what I'm seeing.  To compare him to anything "old" John Lackey has done in the past is comparing apples and oranges. 

Nobody has ever come out of softy's doghouse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes I admit, I was basher (there was a lot that deserved bashing), and now I'm thrilled Lackey's had a few really good outings and I'm hoping he continues to help the team.  As of right now, we have 3 good starters. Let's hope Dempster can get back what he had going in the first weeks, and that Doubront builds on his last outing, which was an encouraging one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Let's just do the present and "one day samples", as good little cheerleaders and subjects."

You are angry he's doing well because it looks like another thing you are wrong about, no? 

See that's the problem, you're visibly unhappy he won a game for us. As a "fan" that puts you in a very weird position.

I've seen you do small sample sizes plenty around here, when it suits you. Meantime Lackey has put together severla encouraging starts. He has more to prove, yes, but it seems a fair milestone to tack a bit of stock. You neglect to mention he showed up motivated and in shape, which is a pretty long sample size in and of itself.

I'll show you how it's done, others have too: I was wrong about Lackey, I thought he needed to be shipped out of town. Instead he has shown up as part of the solution so far this year. He's looking like that solid third of fourth starter we needed. If he can stay healthy I'll do a full mea culpa. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Holy #%$&, Lackey is actually helping the Red Sox win games!!!  Surprised

I still think he's a spy sent by the Angels.   LOL

The Manchurian Candidate. Thats what Crawford was, helped the Rays make the playoffs in 11.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Let's just do the present and "one day samples", as good little cheerleaders and subjects."

You are angry he's doing well because it looks like another thing you are wrong about, no? 

See that's the problem, you're visibly unhappy he won a game for us. As a "fan" that puts you in a very weird position.

I've seen you do small sample sizes plenty around here, when it suits you. Meantime Lackey has put together severla encouraging starts. He has more to prove, yes, but it seems a fair milestone to tack a bit of stock. You neglect to mention he showed up motivated and in shape, which is a pretty long sample size in and of itself.

I'll show you how it's done, others have too: I was wrong about Lackey, I thought he needed to be shipped out of town. Instead he has shown up as part of the solution so far this year. He's looking like that solid third of fourth starter we needed. If he can stay healthy I'll do a full mea culpa. 

This is the whole hypocritical aspect of softy's approach. We once had a pitcher who put together this run of game's started in 2010:

6.2  2 ER (Bal)

7.0  3 (Tor)

8.0  0  (@Phil)

3.2  9 (KCR)

6.0  6  (Oak)

7.1  1  (@ Cle)

7.1  4  (Phil)

6.1  3  (LAD)

7.0  3  (@ SF)

8.0  2  (Bal)

softy went on and on for weeks about how "no pitcher should lose two games like that at home vs weak opponents..." 

The larger 10 game's started sample size was neglected in favor of just two horrible starts. softy had to defend his position on this Sox player at all costs. BTW, this pitcher was our 5/6 starter, had come off an injury after posting his best 50 GS'd streak in his long career (2008-July 2009).

All that mattered was those two games, but now some here are being chastized for getting giddy over Lackey's last 2 starts.

It's this clownish circus behavior that has gone on for too long. Of course John has to continue moving forward into a longer samplie size, but what in the H#LL is wrong with being happy for a player on the team you supposedly love for seemingly turning things around or at least appearing to be on his way to doing so?

Yes, his sample size is just under 40 IP due to missing 3 starts, but 7 GS'd is nothing to sneeze at.  He's really only had one bad start (4.1  5 ER) and one so-so start (5.0  3 ER).

In 6 of his 7 starts, he's let up 7 ERs in 35.1 IP. That's an average line of...

7 IP

1 ER

4 Hits

1 BBs

7 Ks

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nobody has ever come out of softy's doghouse.

LOL so true.  He locks them in there and abuses them even when they are good.