From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?

a. Edgar Renteria
    b. Julio Lugo
    c. JD Drew
    d. John Lackey
    Bob Ryan and Joe Sullivan say Renteria is but if Lackey continues to pitch this poorly, Lackey will be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Re: From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?

Carl Crawbust

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Crawford (Pay is way too high for a glorified platoon player)
    2) Lugo ("wire to wire" bust)
    3) Renteria (ended up being $20+M for 1 year)

Lackey may move to number one, and Crawford could improve his standing, but at $142M I don't ever see him leaving the top 3 list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Mike Cameron, hands down

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Lackey's still here, no judging him yet. Renteria, for sure, no one even close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think to answer that you have to use some sort of objective measurement-actual dollars paid vs. some sort of valuation like FanGraphs or whatever one you prefer.  Crawford certainly looks like a potential major bust but you can't calculate anything based on a few months of a 7 year deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

If Lugo is a "wire to wire" bust, Wakefield is a career bust. Hard to be the everyday SS on a championship and rare division winning team and be a "wire to wire" bust. Wakefield's been paid over 50 million for his wire to wire career bust. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I think you have to include Matsuzaka in the discussion.  You can characterize the posting fee however you want, but it still works out to be a cost of around $100 million.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?:
    If Lugo is a "wire to wire" bust, Wakefield is a career bust. Hard to be the everyday SS on a championship and rare division winning team and be a "wire to wire" bust. Wakefield's been paid over 50 million for his wire to wire career bust. 
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman

Using same logic, hard to be a starting pitcher ever 5 days for TWO championships.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust? : Using same logic, hard to be a starting pitcher ever 5 days for TWO championships.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

I can't wait to hear the answer to that one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

No, a bottom rotation retread doesn't play everyday. That limits the damage.

But you raise a good point. I though Wakefield was solid with his 2004 and 2007 ERA. He was also solid in his defensive work in the post season during those years. The man is a big rock, and one the Red Sox can't replace that kind of production quality. His extension should be announced soon, as he's earned it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

No, a bottom rotation retread doesn't play everyday. That limits the damage. But you raise a good point. I though Wakefield was solid with his 2004 and 2007 ERA. He was also solid in his defensive work in the post season during those years. The man is a big rock, and one the Red Sox can't replace that kind of production quality. His extension should be announced soon, as he's earned it.

Uhuh, yup, only playing every fifth day limits damage, says the guy who always posts how SLACKEY AND WAKEFIELD ARE KEEPING THIS TEAM DOWN.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

biggest thread bust...softcorpse

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Matt Clement comes to mind.    He was signed healthy and left shattered never to be heard from again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

The correct answer will be Carl Crawford, in another year. Unless he can play CF, or RF, while hitting at his career numbers, he will be vastly overpaid. Lackey is a joke, a headcase, but is being paid less than Crawbust. Renteria was forced out of town far to quickly for reasons unrelated to his playing ability, Lugo was the wire to wire SS for a championship team, and Drew continues to produce while playing fantastic defense. Bellsbury is another option, if he remains with this team beyond this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?:
    a. Edgar Renteria b. Julio Lugo c. JD Drew d. John Lackey Bob Ryan and Joe Sullivan say Renteria is but if Lackey continues to pitch this poorly, Lackey will be.
    Posted by fir.eballer58

It still comes down to overall performance in my book regardless of what we spend.  Crawford will probably have some very good years so to be the "biggest bust" you really need to under achieve.  Lackey may be heading to the top of the list if he doesn't turn things around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Renteria was easily the most futile player ever to be signed to start - at ss no less!

Lugo was bad but had his moments and Cameron is basically being paid the same amount per year and he has been wretched as well

Dice was worth it just for merchandizing and he did come up big a few years

Drew, like Dice was overpaid but had some nice contributions

But the biggest PIG with his snout in the TROUGH was John Smoltz -  an arrogant disaster who started late, took his time getting ready, got shellacked, and then bad mouthed the team for paying him over 10 mil for about one weeks work

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

Matt Clement comes to mind.    He was signed healthy and left shattered never to be heard from again.
    Posted by Diamondtalk

==========================================================
     I think that the shot he took off the beaner might of had something to do with that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

Carl Crawbust

==========================================================
      Seriously? Come on Softy.While I might agree that they overpaid for him,3 months in is way to early to call it a bust.Even you know that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to From Globe 10.0-Who is Theo's biggest free agent bust?:
    a. Edgar Renteria b. Julio Lugo c. JD Drew d. John Lackey Bob Ryan and Joe Sullivan say Renteria is but if Lackey continues to pitch this poorly, Lackey will be.
    Posted by fir.eballer58

=====================================================
      A. Not really,was able to get rid of him at a cost yes.He had a couple good seasons afterwards.Who knew that he just could`nt play in Boston.
      B. Agreed. Im have no idea why Theo was so infatuated with him.
      C. I`m sick of him too.But he saved our butt in `07.Without his GS against Cleveland we have no ring. Expensive but worth it.
      D.Lackey. The jury is still out but at this point i`m going to say that it`s a tie with Lugo.Let`s see if he get`s his head together.
      E. I don`t really give a Rats %#@ what Ryan or Sullivan say.They`re both pompus jerks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Crawbust makes Lugo look like Cal Ripken of the value scale. Crawbust gets paid more in an hour than Lugo got paid in a year. And the .275 OBP has vaulted Crawbust to the head of the bust line.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Crawbust makes Lugo look like Cal Ripken of the value scale. Crawbust gets paid more in an hour than Lugo got paid in a year. And the .275 OBP has vaulted Crawbust to the head of the bust line.

Your imitation is cute, but completely unnecessary. You can copy my style, but the substance and heart of my posts is unique to me, alone. Quit before you get hurt and ridiculed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think to answer that you have to use some sort of objective measurement-actual dollars paid vs. some sort of valuation like FanGraphs or whatever one you prefer.  Crawford certainly looks like a potential major bust but you can't calculate anything based on a few months of a 7 year deal.

I may be wrong (I was with Papi vs LHPs), but I think we can calculate after 9 seasons of horrible numbers vs LHPs, that Crawford is nothing more than a glorified platoon player that plays FT because of his $142M deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

(corpse of softy)

You're flip flopping more than Obama. You had said earlier that Wake had a good career, but should have retired years ago. You were wrong then, since Wake had his best 50 game start record of his career after you called for his retirement, and you are wrong now, as usual. 

No, a bottom rotation retread doesn't play everyday. That limits the d
    amage. But you raise a good point. I though Wakefield was solid with his 2004 and 2007 ERA. He was also solid in his defensive work in the post season during those years. The man is a big rock, and one the Red Sox can't replace that kind of production quality. His extension should be announced soon, as he's earned it.

1) As much as you hate to admit it, you said the Lackey deal was OK, but just one year too long.
    2) Lackey had more IP in 2010 than anyone else on the team.
    3) Lackey had the 3rd best ERA out of our 6 starters with 19+ starts.  He was 14-11 and had a very good QS/GS ratio. I guess you can call the 3rd starter "bottom rotation retread".
    4) Opponents had 930 PAs vs Lackey in 2010. Lugo had 630 PAs in his "wire to wire" year. That's 300 more PAs. This "everyday" nonsense is illogical. Lugo stunk nearly everyday, and we won despite his play. I'm sure his .237 BA and .643 OPS that year was much less valuable than Lackey's contributions for us in 2010 and the Angels in 2009.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

Renteria was easily the most futile player ever to be signed to start - at ss no less! Lugo was bad but had his moments and Cameron is basically being paid the same amount per year and he has been wretched as well Dice was worth it just for merchandizing and he did come up big a few years Drew, like Dice was overpaid but had some nice contributions But the biggest PIG with his snout in the TROUGH was John Smoltz -  an arrogant disaster who started late, took his time getting ready, got shellacked, and then bad mouthed the team for paying him over 10 mil for about one weeks work
    Posted by georom4

you are the only one who said Smoltz, & I think you may be correct, great post

Sections
Shortcuts