From Worse To First And Back To Worse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: From Worse To First And Back To Worse?

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I said after the off season that I was very disappointed with our moves, or lack of same. Many here disagreed. For every player mentioned, there was a reason why he was not a fit.  So here we are. Struggling. Hopefully, we can turn it around. But when I look at the Yankees lineup compared to ours, it is not very encouraging.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Can you please stop saying lack of moves. The Sox made more moves than you give them credit for. You just don't like their moves, which is fine. But the Sox made moves.

[object HTMLDivElement].    They made a few minor moves. Nothing of significance. The off season was a net loss. 

What did you expect them to do -- blow up the team?

The Sox restocked the bullpen.

They changed shortstops.

They changed catchers.

They changed centerfielders.

And they made the decision to give a 3B prospect whose been up and down the chance. When you consider the lack of RH power hitters in today's game, that's not a bad thing either.

All of this isn't minor. In two of the cases, they went with young prospects. Don't understand why that is bad.

The Sox had a strong rotation with strong prospects behind them. It's not a bad thing of going with those proven guys and trusting the prospects.

And the Sox added an OF in Sizemore. Of course, they could have gone after Beltran, but if Sizemore stays healthy, it could end up being a push. I actually wanted Beltran, but this is just one position. But it's funny. How many people who are ripping the Sox for not signing Beltran (for 3 years that the Yankees game him), ripped the Sox for signing Mike Cameron a couple of years ago and ripped the Sox for extending Ortiz who is I believe, just a year older than Beltran.

And still, even if the Sox should have signed Beltran, that's just ONE position -- ONE move. 

When you're coming off a World Series win, there's hardly a lot of holes to fill. For a World Series winner, the Sox when healthy, could have new starters at four positions in the lineup: LF, CF, SS, C to go along with revamped bullpen.

Again -- so what more do you want?

[object HTMLDivElement]  Roy, The changes they made that you are referring to, were mostly downgrades. I have gone round and round with several posters on this since opening day. Baseball is a very competitive business. You always have to try and improve. I did not think we did that. I still don't. The team's performance so far this season bears that out. I truly hope they can turn it around. But if they don't, and they fall out of contention, the same posters will probably still dispute my argument. They will look for other reasons for the failure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ok so this is not last years team. Nor was last years team the 2012 team.

objectively 

2012 fans expected a WS in a walk away and got total failure

2013 fans expected total failure 500 at best and got a WS win

2014 fans are expecting a playoff/WS team

Do you get the picture yet. Fans continually over value and under value the RS.

the question is do you get average or under or over average years.

look at Nava average D but some are saying he is not a good hitter. However he has hit at every level. Do I expect last years number no but based upon his past I do expect a guy around 300.

do I expect Pedey and Papi to stay as low as they are no

the SP I do not know what Clay will give us. I believe Lester May have been affected by how many pitches he threw in the previous outing. The rest I expect 12/13 wins each. The BP will IMHO be the one constant the whole year.

a different year a different outcome maybe but maybe not.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Ok so this is not last years team. Nor was last years team the 2012 team.

objectively 

2012 fans expected a WS in a walk away and got total failure

2013 fans expected total failure 500 at best and got a WS win

2014 fans are expecting a playoff/WS team

Do you get the picture yet. Fans continually over value and under value the RS.

the question is do you get average or under or over average years.

look at Nava average D but some are saying he is not a good hitter. However he has hit at every level. Do I expect last years number no but based upon his past I do expect a guy around 300.

do I expect Pedey and Papi to stay as low as they are no

the SP I do not know what Clay will give us. I believe Lester May have been affected by how many pitches he threw in the previous outing. The rest I expect 12/13 wins each. The BP will IMHO be the one constant the whole year.

a different year a different outcome maybe but maybe not.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Agree Jim 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I got no idea how some of you people get through life with as quick as you panic.

Every single April it's like this.  Every single time we've 2-3 in a row y'all line up at the Tobin.  Every year, the RS win a ton of games (except for Valentine).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As Spaceman put it, act like you've been through this before. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Oh dear, it's April 24 and we're 10 and 12! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

It's spelled worst

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I said after the off season that I was very disappointed with our moves, or lack of same. Many here disagreed. For every player mentioned, there was a reason why he was not a fit.  So here we are. Struggling. Hopefully, we can turn it around. But when I look at the Yankees lineup compared to ours, it is not very encouraging.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Can you please stop saying lack of moves. The Sox made more moves than you give them credit for. You just don't like their moves, which is fine. But the Sox made moves.

[object HTMLDivElement].    They made a few minor moves. Nothing of significance. The off season was a net loss. 

What did you expect them to do -- blow up the team?

The Sox restocked the bullpen.

They changed shortstops.

They changed catchers.

They changed centerfielders.

And they made the decision to give a 3B prospect whose been up and down the chance. When you consider the lack of RH power hitters in today's game, that's not a bad thing either.

All of this isn't minor. In two of the cases, they went with young prospects. Don't understand why that is bad.

The Sox had a strong rotation with strong prospects behind them. It's not a bad thing of going with those proven guys and trusting the prospects.

And the Sox added an OF in Sizemore. Of course, they could have gone after Beltran, but if Sizemore stays healthy, it could end up being a push. I actually wanted Beltran, but this is just one position. But it's funny. How many people who are ripping the Sox for not signing Beltran (for 3 years that the Yankees game him), ripped the Sox for signing Mike Cameron a couple of years ago and ripped the Sox for extending Ortiz who is I believe, just a year older than Beltran.

And still, even if the Sox should have signed Beltran, that's just ONE position -- ONE move. 

When you're coming off a World Series win, there's hardly a lot of holes to fill. For a World Series winner, the Sox when healthy, could have new starters at four positions in the lineup: LF, CF, SS, C to go along with revamped bullpen.

Again -- so what more do you want?

[object HTMLDivElement]  Roy, The changes they made that you are referring to, were mostly downgrades. I have gone round and round with several posters on this since opening day. Baseball is a very competitive business. You always have to try and improve. I did not think we did that. I still don't. The team's performance so far this season bears that out. I truly hope they can turn it around. But if they don't, and they fall out of contention, the same posters will probably still dispute my argument. They will look for other reasons for the failure.

What moves did you want them to make? Sign Crawford and trade for Gonzalez? Worked out great Last time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

That's my point. You keep saying they didn't make any changes, when the fact is, you simply don't like the changes they made. That's fine. Everyone has their opinion.

Of course, it's an unfair standard to put on a team that won the World Series. Yes, you always want to get better. But sometimes improving in the long term means stumbling in the short term. Improving is never a straight line. As I pointed out, the Sox made the decision to go with talented prospects at couple of positions. 

Beyond that, it's still too early to even evaluate. Earlier, Beltran was hitting .185 and Sizemore was hitting .300.  Beltran got hot, Sizemore went cold and now it looks different. Who knows how it will look at the end of the season.

I pointed out the changes they made, but you've never answered the question. We've established that you don't like the changes they made. So what should have they done? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Roy, The changes they made that you are referring to, were mostly downgrades. I have gone round and round with several posters on this since opening day. Baseball is a very competitive business. You always have to try and improve. I did not think we did that. I still don't. The team's performance so far this season bears that out. I truly hope they can turn it around. But if they don't, and they fall out of contention, the same posters will probably still dispute my argument. They will look for other reasons for the failure.

That's my point. You keep saying they didn't make any changes, when the fact is, you simply don't like the changes they made. That's fine. Everyone has their opinion.

Of course, it's an unfair standard to put on a team that won the World Series. Yes, you always want to get better. But sometimes improving in the long term means stumbling in the short term. Improving is never a straight line. As I pointed out, the Sox made the decision to go with talented prospects at couple of positions.

Beyond that, it's still too early to even evaluate. Earlier, Beltran was hitting .185 and Sizemore was hitting .300.  Beltran got hot, Sizemore went cold and now it looks different. Who knows how it will look at the end of the season.

I pointed out the changes they made, but you've never answered the question. We've established that you don't like the changes they made. So what should have they done?  

dgalehouse's mantra is 'Baseball is a business. You always have to try and improve.'

But baseball is different from businesses like retail.  In baseball the asset is an inventory of human beings who are constantly aging and varying in performance and in different stages of development etc.

The point that you are trying to make, that dgalehouse keeps missing, is that you have to keep balancing short term goals with long term goals and it's not a simple process.  You might go 'all in' on the short term and try to improve drastically for one year - like the Blue Jays did last year - and you might hurt yourself on the long term that way.

dgalehouse keeps thinking short term only.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I prefer to wait until May to panic, which I have done more than once.  This year it's hard for me to get too far down after a very unexpected 97 wins followed by a glorious postseason.  To me Ben C is definitely playing with house money.  On the other hand, what's the point of having a discussion thread in which there is absolutely no griping? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

It's spelled worst

It's spelled firse.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

It's spelled worst

It's spelled firse.

its spelt too

• Sections
    Shortcuts