Front Porch Managing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Front Porch Managing

Ok I am not saying throw in the towell this team is dead. Needed to get that out of the way as soon as I could.  But I see a couple things that alarm me.

#1. The SS situation. Scuttaro is not as good as he use to be and I think age has finally caught him. Because iof this and Jose Iglesias being ready to step in right now defensively I say bring him up now designate Scuttaro and trade him if you can for whatever you can.  Jose is going to save you runs and turn a ton of DP's and I think he will develop into a solid hitter as well. But the offense from that position is not important the rest of the team has plenty if they wake up. 

#2. Dice K is done. Toast.  Fini.  Now I think if he stays here as a 5th starter he might get 12 wins for us but trade him (eating a large portion of his contract in so doing) to a NL team like (Seattle... I meant to say San Fransisco but was thinking about Seattle due to issue #3) and they will get a 15 game winner out of him on the cheap for two years because of the disparity between NL and AL offenses. He might be reborn out there closer to Japan and new enviro etc. Trade him for a player to be named later if you wish I don't really care how that works out. At this point I would rather have Doubrondt or even Wakes taking the mound every 5 games. 

#3. Felix Hernandes... I think we need him badly and we need to get him w/o touching Lester or Clay or Bard.  We need him to help our pitching staff but more importantly to keep him away from Yankees who will want to go after him with everything they have. SO make an early push and get him now before the Yankees even get into the bidding for him. The Sox have what Seattle wants young pitchers they can controll for a long time like Stolmy Pimentel and even Doubrondt if they wanted him instead. They also would want either an OF or IF prospect and I would offer Navarro or Tehada or Reddick.

#4. my last point is as you may have noticed I didn't make Kalish available because I think he is the heir apparent to RF and I would not let him go because he is ready now if needed and personally if Drew falters at all I say replace him immediately.  Also I didn't like our signing Lackey when it happened but I don't see any team taking him... I think were stuck with him.

So there are my 4 points what do you think? and lets say they did all 4 (4th move being replacing Drew with Kalish) are they a better team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

Re: Front Porch Managing

DUH duhblade,

SEATTLE is an AMERICAN LEAGUE TEAM.
    and another DUH, the SOX don't have enough talented prospects to even get close to KING FELIX.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

what are you trading for Felix, not sure I understood?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

#1) Any replacement for Scutaro, if even being considered, would be Lowrie right now. Can we let the 21 year old Iglesias get some professional experience under his belt and maybe learn to hit a little in the minors?

#2) Your entire topic gets flushed down the toilet when you don't even know what league Seattle plays in...a simple check of a newspaper or website with the baseball standings would have provided that little tidbit of information.

#3) You further drop yourself into the abyss thinking that Felix Hernandez has even a remote chance to be involved in any deal - not to mention one where Dice-K is involved. BTW, you do know that Hernandez plays for Seattle right? Assuming that, has the Seattle GM spoken to you about what THEY want in any deal for Hernandez?? Plus why is Seattle moving this guy when he is the same age or younger than some of the prospects you THINK the Mariners might be interested in.

#4) Sorry Blade but I think your entire topic is not ready for prime time...go back to the drawing board and try again later when you realize that otherteams are not just waiting to trade their best major league players to the Sox for their minor level prospects who have not proven they will ever be successful in the majors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Front Porch Managing:
    [QUOTE]#1) Any replacement for Scutaro, if even being considered, would be Lowrie right now. Can we let the 21 year old Iglesias get some professional experience under his belt and maybe learn to hit a little in the minors? #2) Your entire topic gets flushed down the toilet when you don't even know what league Seattle plays in...a simple check of a newspaper or website with the baseball standings would have provided that little tidbit of information. #3) You further drop yourself into the abyss thinking that Felix Hernandez has even a remote chance to be involved in any deal - not to mention one where Dice-K is involved. BTW, you do know that Hernandez plays for Seattle right? Assuming that, has the Seattle GM spoken to you about what THEY want in any deal for Hernandez?? Plus why is Seattle moving this guy when he is the same age or younger than some of the prospects you THINK the Mariners might be interested in. #4) Sorry Blade but I think your entire topic is not ready for prime time...go back to the drawing board and try again later when you realize that otherteams are not just waiting to trade their best major league players to the Sox for their minor level prospects who have not proven they will ever be successful in the majors.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Yup...Pretty much what SD67 said..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Kalish and Inglesias will be here soon.

No need to rush them just to satisfy all the armchair GMs and managers who thought a championship was a slam dunk in 2011 for Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

OK... Geesh... I was half a sleep when I posted this but let me set a few things straight... #1 agone... you are so right Seattle is in the AL I explain in my post now edited, that I was thinking about my nest issue with Felix and typed Seattle when I was actually meaning to type San Fran just as an example of a NL west team that would be closer to Japan and a change of scenery and like I said pitching in the NL will be easier then here in the AL where there is one less at bat to deal with from the get go. As for your second post that we don't have enough tallented prospects to get Felix... you are so wrong there and I will only say read more NY Rags because BOston has plenty of tallent to get him and at the positions Seattle is wanting.
    Now onto SoxDog67... I doubt you were even alive in 67 unlike me.  Add to this that Jose is only in the minors right now because he lost over half a season to a fluke injury and prior to that injury was tearing the leather off the ball. And was playing short at a major league level even then. So don't give me he is too young and needs more time... that is crap.
    And Seattle wants to move Felix because they can't keep him (salary) and they know they could get better in two to three areas by moving him... Sox have plenty of prospects to offer especially infield where Navarro and Tehada would both be players Seattle could use right now.

Mark my words if NY gets Felix Sox won't see another World Serries for years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tell us about CERA, I think this may be the key to turning it around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The very fact you think at all is a turn-around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

#3. Felix Hernandes... I think we need him badly and we need to get him w/o touching Lester or Clay or Bard.  We need him to help our pitching staff but more importantly to keep him away from Yankees who will want to go after him with everything they have. SO make an early push and get him now before the Yankees even get into the bidding for him. The Sox have what Seattle wants young pitchers they can controll for a long time like Stolmy Pimentel and even Doubrondt if they wanted him instead. They also would want either an OF or IF prospect and I would offer Navarro or Tehada or Reddick.

I like your bullets, even if I think some are missing the mark. Assuming the Mariners decide to rebuild and deal Felix, the franchise face that may be a ways off, you are correct that the Red Sox need to try and trade to get him. That means competing with the Yankees on the farm, more than the pocketbook. Ellsbury, Lowrie, Ranaudo, Pim and Doubrant should all be on the table. Ellsbury and Lowrie are from that area, and they both no longer have any long term futures in Boston. It would take a lot to get Felix, so you might have to include Bard, in take one of the lower farm starters out. He should be included, of course. That just shows how valuable a young HOF tracking pitcher is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ummm, I do believe the Mariners are currently rebuilding.
    And it's being done with Felix/Ichiro tied up long-term.
    Dream on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]#3. Felix Hernandes... I think we need him badly and we need to get him w/o touching Lester or Clay or Bard.  We need him to help our pitching staff but more importantly to keep him away from Yankees who will want to go after him with everything they have. SO make an early push and get him now before the Yankees even get into the bidding for him. The Sox have what Seattle wants young pitchers they can controll for a long time like Stolmy Pimentel and even Doubrondt if they wanted him instead. They also would want either an OF or IF prospect and I would offer Navarro or Tehada or Reddick. I like your bullets, even if I think some are missing the mark. Assuming the Mariners decide to rebuild and deal Felix, the franchise face that may be a ways off, you are correct that the Red Sox need to try and trade to get him. That means competing with the Yankees on the farm, more than the pocketbook. Ellsbury, Lowrie, Ranaudo, Pim and Doubrant should all be on the table. Ellsbury and Lowrie are from that area, and they both no longer have any long term futures in Boston. It would take a lot to get Felix, so you might have to include Bard, in take one of the lower farm starters out. He should be included, of course. That just shows how valuable a young HOF tracking pitcher is.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Ells and Lowrie no longer fit into the Red Sox plans long term. That sure is news to me !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Now onto SoxDog67... I doubt you were even alive in 67 unlike me.  Add to this that Jose is only in the minors right now because he lost over half a season to a fluke injury and prior to that injury was tearing the leather off the ball. And was playing short at a major league level even then. So don't give me he is too young and needs more time... that is crap. And Seattle wants to move Felix because they can't keep him (salary) and they know they could get better in two to three areas by moving him... Sox have plenty of prospects to offer especially infield where Navarro and Tehada would both be players Seattle could use right now. Mark my words if NY gets Felix Sox won't see another World Serries for years.
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

Blade - actually I was old enough in '67 to appreciate and experience the Impossible Dream season of our Red Sox, led by Yaz and Lonborg.

With that said, now back to the topic at hans...and Feliz Hernandez...first off, the Mariners have already invested in him for the long term as he is under contract for a while:

Felix Hernandez rhp
    5 years/$78M (2010-14)
    • 5 years/$78M (2010-14)
      • signed extension with Seattle 1/19/10 (avoided arbitration, $11.5M-$7.2M)
      • $3.5M signing bonus
      • 10:$6.5M, 11:$10M, 12:$18.5M, 13:$19.5M, 14:$20M
      • limited no-trade protection (may block deals to 10 clubs annually)
      • award bonuses: $50,000 each for All-Star, LSC MVP, Gold Glove; $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.2M for Cy Young
      • 2010 Cy Young increases 2011 salary by $1M to $11M, 2012 salary by $0.5M to $19M, 2013 salary by $0.5M to $20M, 2014 salary by $0.5M to $20.5M
    Based on MLB experts, they say the Yankees have more talent in their system than the Red Sox, so even if Hernandez did become available, I would bet the Yankees would provide more players that are closer to major league ready than the Sox...especially considering that the Sox just gave up a bunch of their top prospects to get Gonzalez.

Sections
Shortcuts