Fun facts on Yankee sluggers - regular season vs. postseason numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fun facts on Yankee sluggers - regular season vs. postseason numbers

All these numbers are for games played with Yankees only.

A-Rod

Reg season 292/387/538 - 925

Postseason 247/371/443 - 814

OPS difference 111 points

Cano

Reg season 308/351/503 - 854

Postseason 226/273/431 - 703

OPS difference 151 points

Tex

Reg season 263/357/506 - 863

Postseason 198/316/313 - 629

OPS difference 234 points

Swish

Reg season 268/367/483 - 850

Postseason 159/252/302 - 553

OPS difference 297 points

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Fun facts on Yankee sluggers - regular season vs. postseason numbers

Hilarious, yes. But I would think the MLB average would be down some as well; not to this extreme, however

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All these numbers are for games played with Yankees only.

A-Rod

Reg season 292/387/538 - 925

Postseason 247/371/443 - 814

OPS difference 111 points

Cano

Reg season 308/351/503 - 854

Postseason 226/273/431 - 703

OPS difference 151 points

Tex

Reg season 263/357/506 - 863

Postseason 198/316/313 - 629

OPS difference 234 points

Swish

Reg season 268/367/483 - 850

Postseason 159/252/302 - 553

OPS difference 297 points

[/QUOTE]

One would expect to see that. I'am sure it's similiar for all teams that play in the postseason. Maybe not. Come October the pitching tends to be better than what is faced by the hitters over a 162 game schedule. Throw in the element of added pressure and performance tends to decline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yankee lineup are "guess hitters."

They sit on the fastball, when they guess right they generally hit a homer. That lineup is loaded with guys who have lower averages but high homerun totals.

With MLB pitching being what it is...mainly pitchers who can't pitch trying to throw the fastball by hitters, I am not sure this is the wrong approach.

It works well during the regular season, but in postseason when they face more top pitchers it doesn't work as well.

Anibel Sanchez reallt schooled them with breaking pitches in game 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Yankees are not hitting because their heads are up their Azzes. They should have destroyed both pitchers, especially game 1 and came up empty. The Yankees are beating themselves with some help from Detroit. Don't be shocked if Verlander no-hits them tomorrow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Teams that make the playoffs tend to have much better pitching than the overall regular season pitchers faced by batters.

One could argue the opposite: pitchers tend to face better hitters in the playoffs, but the results show that good pitching usually beats good hitting.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fun facts on Yankee sluggers

gee that was fun nut

can we do it again tomorrow :-)

no yankee fan should be shocked that the bats have not shown up for another PO series

but I am surprised about the fans not showing up either

maybe we should hire larry

he can sell the fens out in a bad sept and we can't sell the place out in oct

after having the best record in the league

I'm looking 4 good things tomorrow vs vernlander

yanks have had some success off of him this yr 2-1 scoring 5 off him twice

maybe facing a guy who throws a FB in FB counts is what they need

even vs the O's it wasn't the big arms that were making them look terrible

they been getting beat on secondary pitches as much as FB

like zill pointed out they are guessing  and guessing wrong

l

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the Yankees have their own version of Larry working on the problem...

"...on Saturday night, instead of letting them sit embarrassingly open for Game 1 of the ALCS, ushers were told to fill them with fans from other sections"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-show--yankees-try-to-disguise-empty-seats-at-alcs-by-moving-fans.html

PR spin, at it's finest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think the question begs - why is the great girardi only benching/pinch-hitting A-rod when there are 3 others with worse numbers???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Yankees hitting in the playoffs have showed me two things:

1. The Red Sox should not spend any money on Swisher unless they get him at bargain basement pricing.

2. Arod's contract is the absolute worst in all of baseball, worse than Carl Crawfords.

Thank you Steinbrenners.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Has the "Yank Tank" begun in earnest?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

Fun facts on Yankee sluggers

gee that was fun nut

can we do it again tomorrow :-)

no yankee fan should be shocked that the bats have not shown up for another PO series

but I am surprised about the fans not showing up either

maybe we should hire larry

he can sell the fens out in a bad sept and we can't sell the place out in oct

after having the best record in the league

I'm looking 4 good things tomorrow vs vernlander

yanks have had some success off of him this yr 2-1 scoring 5 off him twice

maybe facing a guy who throws a FB in FB counts is what they need

even vs the O's it wasn't the big arms that were making them look terrible

they been getting beat on secondary pitches as much as FB

like zill pointed out they are guessing  and guessing wrong

l

[/QUOTE]"a guy who throws a FB in a FB count"

You might be on to something.

"can't sell the place out in Oct."

I made mention of all the empty seats in another post earlier today.

Maybe their spoiled and waiting for the WS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think the question begs - why is the great girardi only benching/pinch-hitting A-rod when there are 3 others with worse numbers???

[/QUOTE]He makes the most money and gets the most boo's.

That and he looks the worst at the plate of any of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One would expect to see that. I'am sure it's similiar for all teams that play in the postseason. Maybe not. Come October the pitching tends to be better than what is faced by the hitters over a 162 game schedule. Throw in the element of added pressure and performance tends to decline.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox numbers only:

Manny

Reg season 312/411/588 - 999

Postseason 321/422/588 - 980

OPS difference 19 points

Papi

Reg season 290//389/573 - 962

Postseason 284/400/540 - 940

OPS difference 22 points

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Its not an optical illusion. It is what it is. Below are the reasons:

1) Middle of lineup is full of chokers. Has been for a while. Why a guy like Tex who was renowned, proven, reliable and fierce hitter can all of a sudden reduce to pull hitter is beyond me. Same thing happenned to Giambi, but you could have said that steroids got him, but in case of Tex, only accelerated down-hill aging is probably the cause.

2) Can't blame table setters, Ichiro and Jeter did all they could, and bottom of the line-up contributed, it is the middle, who you expect to carry teams, that chokes. 

3) Need some rookie to burst on the scene and be the ignition. They haven't had that for a long while.

4) Sabermetricians have brain washed entire baseball world into believing that average doesn't matter. However, guys who may not have much power but can hit consistently above .300 and work ABs are who contribute in post season. That is the kind of people yanks used to have. There were times when you could count number of Yankees who were NOT hitting .300 as most of the lineup used to. Now, they barely get one or two players who can do that.

5) It is young man's game. Yanks have almost none.

6) Even though yanks have plenty of dramatic moments, there is still lack of passion. It is almost A-Rod virus has now gotten everybody. Everyone is playing like an individual. They go at the plate thinking how they would look, and how bad they are doing. They should be thinking about winning the game at all cost and not worry how bad they have been. Other teams seem to be playing with lot more focus and passion and hungry for Championship. While Yanks seem to be depressed about personal failures, year after year.

7) Girardi catches lot of flack for playing small ball. What turned around Yankees in Joe Torre era was small ball. If the team is not producing at all, then they should play NL type baseball and play for a run here and run there and ignore the detractors.

8) Guys like Johnny Damon can help the club not only on field but keeping everyone lose. Swisher used to be able to do that, but need another character or few more characters, to try and help the team from tightening up.

9) Over reliance on HR. Everyone noticed it and talked about it and now it is coming back to bite their team.

10) Maybe they should ask Tony Robbins to address their team next year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Career post-season OPS:

• The "2nd best hitter ever" (non-Barry Bonds category):  .533
    • Worst recent HOF inductee (and noted sex pest/coke head):  .679
    • Arod (I'm not even a fan!):  .838

Honestly....I'm 10-20-30 years past caring much about sports....only baseball matters to me much, and other than the Sox it's mainly gone.  Maybe athletics and international football....plus the odd cricket match (it's got a lot of the aggressive 1920s baseball about it, if you're willing to give it a chance).

But "hoo hoo, you suk, your team of mercenaries blah blah blah" it's so tired.  WBC is the future.....be patient

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not know why the NY media keeps picking on A-Rod for his postseason struggles. 

Swisher, Granderson and especially Cano have been struggling as well. 

Cano is batting .061 in the playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Mark Feinsand‏@BloggingBombers

Very interesting: So far, the Yankees are hitting .205/.277/.326 in postseason. Overall, AL teams are hitting .223/.277/.299 in postseason.

[/QUOTE]

The difference being that the NYY are built on offense, having the best OPS in the league.  The other 4 teams left were ranked 4, 7, and 11th.  The NYY hitting to the average is a disadvantage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Too many fans have already buried the yanks chances in this series. True the Tigers are up 2-0 at home and have yet to pitch their top 2 starters. I've seen it before and know it doesn't take much to get the tide moving in another direction. Look, I like the Tigers chances and hope they sweep but there is plently of good baseball left to be played. Maybe if CC was on the hill tonight people would have a different view.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Too many fans have already buried the yanks chances in this series. True the Tigers are up 2-0 at home and have yet to pitch their top 2 starters. I've seen it before and know it doesn't take much to get the tide moving in another direction. Look, I like the Tigers chances and hope they sweep but there is plently of good baseball left to be played. Maybe if CC was on the hill tonight people would have a different view.

[/QUOTE]

Quite true.  If the Yankees can win tonight somehow eveything changes.  And they have had success in the past vs. Verlander. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Quite true.  If the Yankees can win tonight somehow eveything changes.  And they have had success in the past vs. Verlander. 

[/QUOTE]

Look no further than what the Sox did to the Yankees in the 04' ALCS.

That and the Yankees are in a better situation only being down 0-2.