Funny Papelbon quote

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Funny Papelbon quote

From ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7232226/jonathan-papelbon-lands-philadelphia-take-physical-phillies

"That (contract) doesn't really play a role," Papelbon told WPVI-TV's Jeff Skversy after arriving at Philadelphia International Airport. "The biggest thing that plays a role is the ability to come here and win."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Funny Papelbon quote

Hilarious, such a standard comment for all free agents. It is even better when they sign with teams like the Mets or Cubs and say they are only there for the "chance to win".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote:
    [QUOTE]Hilarious, such a standard comment for all free agents. It is even better when they sign with teams like the Mets or Cubs and say they are only there for the "chance to win".
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    I think he probably meant it, maybe as a parting shot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

could be, could be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Given he has repeatedly said he is going to take the best offer, the contract has everything to do with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]could be, could be.
    He saw from the inside what happened in Boston, and may not think it easily correctable, at least in the near term. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : He saw from the inside what happened in Boston, and may not think it easily correctable, at least in the near term. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget that this is the same guy who professed to be unaware that they had signed Lackey a few months after the fact.  (In retrospect, maybe he was on to something there, but still . . . . )

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pap could see the handwriting on the wall--he saw it after the last inning in Baltimore. He cleaned out his meticulously kept locker as Peter A. said a few days ago. He was not coming back--he had made up his mind.

The Phils have pitching the Sox will struggle to put a strong staff together. This may have been his last chance at financial security for his family and signing on to close for Doc, Lee and Hamels--not too bad.

My thought was the Phillies, Texas and the Angels might have the best shot. Ben could have offered him the same contract, he wasn't coming back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Funny Papelbon quote:
    [QUOTE] "The biggest thing that plays a role is the ability to come here and win."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    He's right, at least on paper. we'll see how the season actually plays out. Phillies, Yanks & Sox all had the talent to win last season. Didn't quite work out for them in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]Hilarious, such a standard comment for all free agents. It is even better when they sign with teams like the Mets or Cubs and say they are only there for the "chance to win".

If I recall, Clemens made the same kind of comment when he signed with Toronto.  The same for A-Rod in Texas.  What they both meant was they would have a chance for a title once they worked out a deal to be traded because they teams they signed with couldn't afford them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A. That is what every free agent says when they sign with a new team.

B. Forget this "Pap saw the writing on the wall" stuff.  Sure, the situation in boston is not a kosher one at the moment.  But, Pap's modus operendi for years now has been "Gonna get PAID when I get to free agency!!!".  If Boston had exceeded the Phillie's offer he would have eschewed his visions of the writing on the wall and refilled his meticulously kept locker for 2012.  Now, yes, if people are referring to the writing on the wall being that there was no way the Sox were going 4 years on a 30 year old closer, ok, Jonathan surely saw that.  But, I am fairly certain his departure had nothing to do with the Sox struggles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Pap would have come back had the Sox been willing to pay him.  But, if I were Pap, the Sox would have had to offer significantly more than the Phillies as it is more difficult to pitch in Boston and in the AL.

Thank him for the years of service and wish him luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]A. That is what every free agent says when they sign with a new team. B. Forget this "Pap saw the writing on the wall" stuff.  Sure, the situation in boston is not a kosher one at the moment.  But, Pap's modus operendi for years now has been "Gonna get PAID when I get to free agency!!!".  If Boston had exceeded the Phillie's offer he would have eschewed his visions of the writing on the wall and refilled his meticulously kept locker for 2012.  Now, yes, if people are referring to the writing on the wall being that there was no way the Sox were going 4 years on a 30 year old closer, ok, Jonathan surely saw that.  But, I am fairly certain his departure had nothing to do with the Sox struggles.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    I think that there is a good chance that Papelbon knew that he would get elsewhere what Boston would not offer, and thought that it was time to leave.
    Both. Perhaps a lot more pull from Philly, but I wouldn't discount some push from Boston. A man would be smart to get the contract he wants AND enter what he considers a better situation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : I think that there is a good chance that Papelbon knew that he would get elsewhere what Boston would not offer, and thought that it was time to leave. Both. Perhaps a lot more pull from Philly, but I wouldn't discount some push from Boston. A man would be smart to get the contract he wants AND enter what he considers a better situation.

no doubt.  You are right.  Philly is a great situation for Papelbon in that, after playing for the arguably most succesful franchise in baseball over the course of his career to date, he gets to actually move up in starriness AND get more money and years than he would have gotten in boston or anywhere.  I wasn't trying to argue that going to a potentially better club wasn't part of the equation.  Only that it wasn't the main reason.  The money and security were the main reason, and if a club of lesser magnitude than Philly had offered it, thats where he would have gone, were it Boston or wherever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Money doesn't play a role in my going to work each day , either.

I love people so much ,I love aggravation,stupidity,I love getting up before the sun in winter, clearing snow and ice off the windshield first thing on cold mornings, I love all these things so much that I would do my job for free.

If you believe that one, I have a story about the time I survived alien abduction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : no doubt.  You are right.  Philly is a great situation for Papelbon in that, after playing for the arguably most succesful franchise in baseball over the course of his career to date, he gets to actually move up in starriness AND get more money and years than he would have gotten in boston or anywhere.  I wasn't trying to argue that going to a potentially better club wasn't part of the equation.  Only that it wasn't the main reason.  The money and security were the main reason, and if a club of lesser magnitude than Philly had offered it, thats where he would have gone, were it Boston or wherever.
    Perhaps he would have gone to a club of lesser magnitude for the money and security, but all we know for sure is that he went to Philly, where indeed he has "a chance to win," as he said. Regardless of what other FA's say, in this case the statement makes sense. It has face value. Why not take it for that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : Perhaps he would have gone to a club of lesser magnitude for the money and security, but all we know for sure is that he went to Philly, where indeed he has "a chance to win," as he said. Regardless of what other FA's say, in this case the statement makes sense. It has face value. Why not take it for that?

Because Paps has made it perfectly clear over the past few years that he was gonna go for the gold in free agency.  Top closer contract ever and not a penny less.  His words.  So, that it is the face value I have to take it as.  Philly was the only player in the game.  Boston balked at the demands and no one else jumped in the game.  So, the fact that Philly is a contender is fantastic for Papelbon.  But, given papelbon's stated goal and the lack of other realistic suitors, I can't see any reason to put merit in his "its not about the money, its about the opportunity to win" line.  Now, if a club of lesser starry forecast than the Phillies had jumped in with 5 at 15 or something, and Papelbon still went with the Phillies, I would take his statement at face value, because face value would tell that story.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good luck Jon.  Just admit it was the money, it's fine, players do it all the time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Pap could see the handwriting on the wall--he saw it after the last inning in Baltimore. He cleaned out his meticulously kept locker as Peter A. said a few days ago. He was not coming back--he had made up his mind. The Phils have pitching the Sox will struggle to put a strong staff together. This may have been his last chance at financial security for his family and signing on to close for Doc, Lee and Hamels--not too bad. My thought was the Phillies, Texas and the Angels might have the best shot. Ben could have offered him the same contract, he wasn't coming back.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Nothing against you Madmc. But I get so tired of hearing about athletes and financial security. I could certainly provide for my family off Paps salary last year alone. It is a horrible expression when used.

How much does an athlete need for financial security?(when they are already making millions per year) The problem is they squander their monies on cars, houses, woman, etc. It seems these athletes who come out broke a few yrs after retirement don't need security. And  more money does not equate to financial security. It just adds to more frivolous spending.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : Because Paps has made it perfectly clear over the past few years that he was gonna go for the gold in free agency.  Top closer contract ever and not a penny less.  His words.  So, that it is the face value I have to take it as.  Philly was the only player in the game.  Boston balked at the demands and no one else jumped in the game.  So, the fact that Philly is a contender is fantastic for Papelbon.  But, given papelbon's stated goal and the lack of other realistic suitors, I can't see any reason to put merit in his "its not about the money, its about the opportunity to win" line.  Now, if a club of lesser starry forecast than the Phillies had jumped in with 5 at 15 or something, and Papelbon still went with the Phillies, I would take his statement at face value, because face value would tell that story.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE
    Your hypothetical is unrealistic.  ( See "only player in the game" above. ) 
    Discount his remark that "it's not about the contract" but not about "a chance to win."  I take that at face value. He knew that a non-contender or at best a marginal contender would not meet his demands. That possibility was off the table. He knew who could afford him and figures to win with him. He got a twofer.
    And he might also be pleased to escape a situation that is "less than kosher," to put it politely.  That makes it a hat trick. 
    Put the contract first ( but only a realistic one ), but I'd be slow to eliminate the other factors entirely. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : Because Paps has made it perfectly clear over the past few years that he was gonna go for the gold in free agency.  Top closer contract ever and not a penny less.  His words.  So, that it is the face value I have to take it as.  Philly was the only player in the game.  Boston balked at the demands and no one else jumped in the game.  So, the fact that Philly is a contender is fantastic for Papelbon.  But, given papelbon's stated goal and the lack of other realistic suitors, I can't see any reason to put merit in his "its not about the money, its about the opportunity to win" line.  Now, if a club of lesser starry forecast than the Phillies had jumped in with 5 at 15 or something, and Papelbon still went with the Phillies, I would take his statement at face value, because face value would tell that story.   Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE Your hypothetical is unrealistic.  ( See "only player in the game" above. )  Discount his remark that "it's not about the contract" but not about "a chance to win."  I take that at face value. He knew that a non-contender or at best a marginal contender would not meet his demands. That possibility was off the table. He knew who could afford him and figures to win with him. He got a twofer. And he might also be pleased to escape a situation that is "less than kosher," to put it politely.  That makes it a hat trick.  Put the contract first ( but only a realistic one ), but I'd be slow to eliminate the other factors entirely. 

I hear you expitch.  It goes without saying that, all things being equal, any player wants to play for the club that gives him the best chance to win.  But, i don't think we can say that a non-contender or lesser-contender wouldn't be able to pony up the cash.  They do all the time.  Do you think that, Phillies offer standing, if the Mets, or the Cubs, or the Astros, or the Nats, or some other mediocre organization with resources ponied up 5-15, that Papelbon wouldn't go where the money is?  Of course he would, because that is exactly what he said he would do.  That, to me is face value.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : I hear you expitch.  It goes without saying that, all things being equal, any player wants to play for the club that gives him the best chance to win.  But, i don't think we can say that a non-contender or lesser-contender wouldn't be able to pony up the cash.  They do all the time.  Do you think that, Phillies offer standing, if the Mets, or the Cubs, or the Astros, or the Nats, or some other mediocre organization with resources ponied up 5-15, that Papelbon wouldn't go where the money is?  Of course he would, because that is exactly what he said he would do.  That, to me is face value.
    Where we part, as I said, is the stark implausibility of a contract for 5-15 from a team needing only, or mainly, a closer to put it in contention now, and only possibly nearer the end than the beginning of a five-year contract. All the clubs named have more pressing immediate needs. ( As, perhaps, do the Sox, like starting pitchers. )
    Here's a wager that I would have been willing to make: that if Boston had surprisingly matched Philly's offer, or even beat it by a dime or two ( just a metaphor ), Papelbon would still have decamped for Philly. But we'll never know.
    On a personal note, I hope that you, as a Penn State alumnus, will keep the faith in the university's recovery from the scandal. It is a great institution.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : Where we part, as I said, is the stark implausibility of a contract for 5-15 from a team needing only, or mainly, a closer to put it in contention now, and only possibly nearer the end than the beginning of a five-year contract. All the clubs named have more pressing immediate needs. ( As, perhaps, do the Sox, like starting pitchers. ) Here's a wager that I would have been willing to make: that if Boston had surprisingly matched Philly's offer, or even beat it by a dime or two ( just a metaphor ), Papelbon would still have decamped for Philly. But we'll never know. On a personal note, I hope that you, as a Penn State alumnus, will keep the faith in the university's recovery from the scandal. It is a great institution.

Thanks expitch.  Penn State will endure because it is a really good university and community, even without the football program.  In fact, I wasn't much of a Nittany Lion football guy because I did my undergraduate, um, studies at Florida State, so in a sports way, I am a seminole through and through (perhaps this accounts for my staunch defense of JD Drew in the past, haha).  So, my love for Penn State has nothing to do with Nittany Lion football.  But, I loved my time in Happy Valley.  A really wonderful place, great community and strong university.  And, personally, I thought of Joe Paterno as one of the great people I had ever met.  That aspect breaks my heart.  But, some of my friends sent me video from the candlelight vigil on campus this weekend.  Just seeing that, I realized that the community would make it through.  It is so much greater than the football program and its protectors who, intentionally or not, fostered great evil.  When all the media blitzkrieg dies down, and all the news trucks have rolled on down I-80, Penn State will be just fine.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Funny Papelbon quote : Thanks expitch.  Penn State will endure because it is a really good university and community, even without the football program.  In fact, I wasn't much of a Nittany Lion football guy because I did my undergraduate, um, studies at Florida State, so in a sports way, I am a seminole through and through (perhaps this accounts for my staunch defense of JD Drew in the past, haha).  So, my love for Penn State has nothing to do with Nittany Lion football.  But, I loved my time in Happy Valley.  A really wonderful place, great community and strong university.  And, personally, I thought of Joe Paterno as one of the great people I had ever met.  That aspect breaks my heart.  But, some of my friends sent me video from the candlelight vigil on campus this weekend.  Just seeing that, I realized that the community would make it through.  It is so much greater than the football program and its protectors who, intentionally or not, fostered great evil.  When all the media blitzkrieg dies down, and all the news trucks have rolled on down I-80, Penn State will be just fine.  
    Love the "um." Did you clear that with Burt Reynolds? At least he didn't say that he "majored in lunch," as did an unnamed Dodger announcer of his time at Arizona State.
    At USC, we counseled some athletes into communications ( whatever that is ) and sociology ( with its own watered-down stats course ) because they couldn't pass physiology in the PE major. 
    Wanna laugh? Catch Tom Lehrer doing "sociology" on U-Tube.
    Anyway, good to hear what you think about Penn State.