Game 3 summary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Game 3 summary

Walks are Dempster's Kryptonite, and the biggest difference between him and Anibal Sanchez. Which showd how dangerous they can be.

He is no savior.  He will have good games and awful games.

And, like Lackey and Drew (and most recent Sox free agents), he probably won't finish his contract in Boston...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Walks are Dempster's Kryptonite, and the biggest difference between him and Anibal Sanchez. Which showd how dangerous they can be.

And, like Lackey and Drew (and most recent Sox free agents), he probably won't finish his contract in Boston...

But wld you describe last night as awful? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Dempster is now 0-1 , with a 5.40 ERA... Sorry , but that does not constitute a pretty good start. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

No.

He will have games in between as well

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

No.

He will have games in between as well

I feel like if he lasted another inning & 2/3's it wld qualify as pretty good.lets hope he keeps his pitch count down next time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

High BB / high K pitchers like Dempster never keep their pitch count down..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Dempster is now 0-1 , with a 5.40 ERA... Sorry , but that does not constitute a pretty good start. 

Not pretty good, agreed.  Not pretty bad either.  Just mediocre.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Not pretty good, agreed.  Not pretty bad either.  Just mediocre.

Its in line with what I expect from him for the rest of the year, or slightly worse in terms of his ERA. I think he will finish with an ERA around 5 and will be our #5 SP. Even Lackey will outperform him.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

A pitcher with all quality starts ( 3 runs in 6 innings) would have an ERA of 4.5.

That's true, but 3 in 6 is the minimum, the baseline for a quality start.  I would guess that if you took all the quality starts for a season, the combined ERA would be more like 2.5. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Winning two out of three on the road vs. the Yankees is still very good.  

I hope the Red Sox win two out of three vs. Toronto.  

My advice to Red Sox pitchers: Just intentionally walk Bautista.   LOL

didnt he get hurt again?

Good morning southpaw777    :)

I heard that Bautista left in the 9th inning but he plans on not missing any games.  

Thanks IC...wasnt sure if I heard that right.

Im thinking a couple days off will do him good ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

u launched a game summary about 10 minutes b4 the game ended.... 

it was pretty much over by then anyhow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

not if they PH salty....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

not if they PH salty....

They werent going to take JBJ out Mef, nor should they have. He was one of the few that hit Pettite good. It was a good experience for him. It teaches him to swing if its close with Mo because he always gets the call. Hes got a great eye and has to learn who he has to loosen the strike zone up with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Sox lost 3 innings hitting into 3 double plays. Hit 3 or 4 balls a long way, that I though were sure fire HRs, but Somehow came up short. Most of us before the game gave yanks a 4 run handicap & all & all we were right. Dempster didn't lose this game, our bats did. But we won the series & I'm happy. Hello Toronto. 

Right on "emp9"....while Dempster was a bit off, we had runners in scoring position, but what really hurt us IMO was Overbay hitting a 2 RBI bloop single with two outs on a pitch pretty much over the middle of the plate, belt high, and Cervelli crushing a 444 ft HR.  Three runs on 2 fat pitches, otherwise it could of been a 2-1 win for the Sox.  2 out of 3 against the Yanks is great any time.  Our Sox looked great however I too agree with those who have commented that Els should be in left and Bradley in center. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Tough to walk 4 in 5 inns and win.

Walks have nothing to do with winning the game. Winning game is based on how many runs the other team scores. Dempster allowed only three runs and kept his team in the game. In my eyes Dempsters start was just as good as lesters, except Dempster got 0 for run support.  

It's easier to win a game walking 1 batter in 8 innings than walking 4 batters in 5 innings.  Let's put it this way then.. Dempster pitched a decent game to win him a game but Pettitte pitched better.  Walking batters don't matter to win a game? Well walked batters also score you know?

Exactly

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to lucbom's comment:

Sox lost 3 innings hitting into 3 double plays. Hit 3 or 4 balls a long way, that I though were sure fire HRs, but Somehow came up short. Most of us before the game gave yanks a 4 run handicap & all & all we were right. Dempster didn't lose this game, our bats did. But we won the series & I'm happy. Hello Toronto. 

Right on "emp9"....while Dempster was a bit off, we had runners in scoring position, but what really hurt us IMO was Overbay hitting a 2 RBI bloop single with two outs on a pitch pretty much over the middle of the plate, belt high, and Cervelli crushing a 444 ft HR.  Three runs on 2 fat pitches, otherwise it could of been a 2-1 win for the Sox.  2 out of 3 against the Yanks is great any time.  Our Sox looked great however I too agree with those who have commented that Els should be in left and Bradley in center. 

the double by overbay was on a pitch way outside.... like in the opposite batters box outside. The pitches to Cervelli and Gardener were the only bad pitches he made. The homerun by Hafner was on a ball that was eye level. he channeled his inner Pedey and took it for a ride.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

the double by overbay was on a pitch way outside.... like in the opposite batters box outside. The pitches to Cervelli and Gardener were the only bad pitches he made. The homerun by Hafner was on a ball that was eye level. he channeled his inner Pedey and took it for a ride.

I'm sure the Cervelli HR was served up by Mort--that ball was crushed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I'm sure the Cervelli HR was served up by Mort--that ball was crushed.

your right about that lol. my mistake

so one bad pitch. The other 2 were way outside of the zone that Overbay and Hafner managed to put good wood on. that doesn't happen every start.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This could be said for any game that's not a complete blowout.