In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Baltimore won with an inordinate amount of close games last year but they are clearly improving in talent level and they have 2 more young starters on the verge of mlb right now. They may be our primary competition this year. I like Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa Bay. To me it's a 4 team race.

And yet, there's another team not mentioned at all, lurking in the background. Although they currently don't look so good, it would be unwise to count them out.

They must be in a different division. Surely you don't mean the Yankees.

While the NYY won 95 games ,the RS suffered a 48 yr low in wins last yr; surely you wouldn't include them? Especially since their Vegas odds are far higher? You would have had more credibility if you would have declared it was a 3 team race.

i fail to see what last season has to do with the standings this season. Do the yankees get an extra 2 wins because they won 95 last year?

No, but based on historical data, there's a high correlation. Regardless, perhaps you should check the previous discussion, where they were counted out this yr completely. 

so were the A's and O's last season. what's your point?

Go reread the sequence; that is, unless you're being coy for argument sake.

there's not really an argument here.. the reality of things are, the yankees are old and run down. anymore injuries and you can just pack it in for the season. The RS have retooled and look to be a solid team. last year has nothing to do with the results of this year. the ALE IS a 4 team race.

While there's some validity to this, that's not what the experts think.  I myself have posted here on multiple occasions that this appears to be the worst NYY team coming out of the gate in 22 yrs. But, LOL, go count the NYY out.

if the experts words were law then there would be no reason to play the games..

experts are often wrong. especially about fringe teams.

Agreed. but it's a talking point. Like I said, go count them out then

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Game 9 Thread: Orioles at Red Sox

Baltimore won with an inordinate amount of close games last year but they are clearly improving in talent level and they have 2 more young starters on the verge of mlb right now. They may be our primary competition this year. I like Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa Bay. To me it's a 4 team race.

And yet, there's another team not mentioned at all, lurking in the background. Although they currently don't look so good, it would be unwise to count them out.

While the NYY won 95 games ,the RS suffered a 48 yr low in wins last yr; surely you wouldn't include them? Especially since their Vegas odds are far higher? You would have had more credibility if you would have declared it was a 3 team race.

i fail to see what last season has to do with the standings this season. Do the yankees get an extra 2 wins because they won 95 last year?

No, but based on historical data, there's a high correlation. Regardless, perhaps you should check the previous discussion, where they were counted out this yr completely. 

there's not really an argument here.. the reality of things are, the yankees are old and run down. anymore injuries and you can just pack it in for the season. The RS have retooled and look to be a solid team. last year has nothing to do with the results of this year. the ALE IS a 4 team race.

While there's some validity to this, that's not what the experts think.  I myself have posted here on multiple occasions that this appears to be the worst NYY team coming out of the gate in 22 yrs. But, LOL, go count the NYY out.

Agreed. but it's a talking point. Like I said, go count them out then. 

2 steps ahead of you on that one Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Really?  Exactly how? Also, Doesn't that contradict the idea of the games being played, however?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Really?  Exactly how? Doesn't that contradict the idea of the games being played, however?

because it's unrealistic to think that all of your injuries for the year are over. and like i said earlier, one more injury to anyone of significance (especially the pitching) and it's over. how's the Yankees depth?? factor in the desire to get under the luxury tax threshold  and they won't take on any more payroll to bolster their team. If they stay completely healthy, their lesser palyers over-achieve and their current guys on the DL come back sooner than expected, with no hiccups and they get a torrid start upon their return then MAYBE the yanks have the horses to make a run but that is a ton of unlikely things to count on. So yes, i will count them out. crucify me....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

holy crap Salty... that pitch was way out of the strike zone almost after it left the pitchers hand...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Stephen looked like there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I don't like chances of Mort having two scoreless innings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Generic fan comment expressing frustration with every play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Mort was fantastic last year. and yes, he pitched multiple innings at a tine. opponents only hit .255 off of him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Generic fan comment expressing frustration with every play.

You're wrong!! ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm not trying to intentionally insult a Yankees fan. I'm just saying, in my opinion, it will take a hurculean effort from the Yank's starting pitching staff to pull off a playoff slot from this division, this year. It's not impossible. If the starters stay really healthy and have good years they may have enough of a lineup to make the playoffs. I just don't think the odds of that are very good.

You can't count on Arod. Granderson and Jeter may well not be as good as before. Tex has been in steady decline. Youk and Vernon Wells? We will see. I just see the probability of more injuries and declines in performance from their regulars and it is unlikely that their starters stay as healthy as they were last year.

Now Baltimore has solid young talent just now emerging, like Machado and those 2 young pitchers ( Bundy and Gausman ) who could well help them this year. Overall they are emerging and the Yanks appear to me to be indecline. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Yet another Drew, content to keep his bat safely nestled on his shoulder in a KEY at bat?

Ughhhhh!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Really?  Exactly how? Doesn't that contradict the idea of the games being played, however?

because it's unrealistic to think that all of your injuries for the year are over. and like i said earlier, one more injury to anyone of significance (especially the pitching) and it's over. how's the Yankees depth?? factor in the desire to get under the luxury tax threshold  and they won't take on any more payroll to bolster their team. If they stay completely healthy, their lesser palyers over-achieve and their current guys on the DL come back sooner than expected, with no hiccups and they get a torrid start upon their return then MAYBE the yanks have the horses to make a run but that is a ton of unlikely things to count on. So yes, i will count them out. crucify me....

Pretty compelling, I admit. I could, however, make just as a compelling case that, while the RS are improved, they are NOT a contender. And it remains to be seen if they shall have more wins than the NYY. That's why they play the games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

At least that one as not generic?  Plus, I was very selective in my frustratlon.  :)  Is that ok?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

My complaints were not generically based!  GENETICALLY based.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

sorry Nh, it's not that i hate the yankees (i ahte the O's and Rays more than the yanks) i just don't see it in the cards for them this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

miller goes in for one batter and walks him.....way to go

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

• nhsteven
    • First: 9/23/2005
    • Last: 4/11/2013

• nhsteven

• nhsteven

• nhsteven

• nhsteven

holy shnikees!  can we relax on the in response to???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Adam Jones is for real. And getting better. A few guys like him and you have a team right there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm not trying to intentionally insult a Yankees fan. I'm just saying, in my opinion, it will take a hurculean effort from the Yank's starting pitching staff to pull off a playoff slot from this division, this year. It's not impossible. If the starters stay really healthy and have good years they may have enough of a lineup to make the playoffs. I just don't think the odds of that are very good.

You can't count on Arod. Granderson and Jeter may well not be as good as before. Tex has been in steady decline. Youk and Vernon Wells? We will see. I just see the probability of more injuries and declines in performance from their regulars and it is unlikely that their starters stay as healthy as they were last year.

Now Baltimore has solid young talent just now emerging, like Machado and those 2 young pitchers ( Bundy and Gausman ) who could well help them this year. Overall they are emerging and the Yanks appear to me to be indecline. 

Valid; however, don't you think it's a 3 team race rather than a 4? That's where your credibility is taking a hit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Mort was fantastic last year. and yes, he pitched multiple innings at a tine. opponents only hit .255 off of him

Like I said, I didn't like our Mort's chances of two scoreless innings.  It's his run on the board.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i wish they would just pay someone to take miller, he is so damn bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

sorry Nh, it's not that i hate the yankees (i ahte the O's and Rays more than the yanks) i just don't see it in the cards for them this year.

Who's arguing that? But, neither does it appear to be that way for the RS

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.