Game 90: Red Sox at Angels

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Game 90: Red Sox at Angels

In response to mjagger's comment:

Here's some more bad news offensively; Iggy is starting his free fall at the plate. I think all realists expected that. 

Really? Over the last month he has hit .379 and over the last two weeks he has hit .340. So when exactly did he start his "free fall"? He is not a .300 hitter more than likely but the advertised free fall has yet to materialize.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mjagger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's some more bad news offensively; Iggy is starting his free fall at the plate. I think all realists expected that. 

Really? Over the last month he has hit .379 and over the last two weeks he has hit .340. So when exactly did he start his "free fall"? He is not a .300 hitter more than likely but the advertised free fall has yet to materialize.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Pumsie. 

There are a couple of things I was certain of.  I was certain that Iggy would not be a .500 - or even a .400 - hitter, and I was certain that once he had a few one-hit or no-hit games somone here would start screaming, "FREE FALL!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It is generally normal after a totally unusual performance to fall back closer to where you should be.

I think Iggy's  current performance is pretty good--I feel 100 % comfortable with his performance. He will be  a work in progress and the team can carry a guy with a glove like his; they were willing to carry Drew's up to now. He will continue to improve over his 2011 and prior hitting performance.

My hope is they make some moves sooner rather than later. We need some reinforcement right now. 

Radical maybe:

Cecchini from AA to Boston to play 3 B----perhaps a BA of .420 is not going to continue but I would take something in the .325 range. I know, it's again, out of character, but if Machado can play 3 B at the MLB level the Sox have a born hitter in Cecch that can do the same.

And to answer another thread--It may take until they get back to Boston to recover from the Angels loss Saturday night. I didn't watch the loss, I picked it up the batter after the tieing run scored then listened until Hamilton's HR.

My conclusion---JF should take that loss as his loss--not any other individual but his--yes I realize he didn't throw the ball--Snyder did. I realize he wasn't pitching Ue and Wilson were--it's one guy taking the dagger and it's over. Now they have the M's and a tough pitching staff. I say bring Cecch up for the Tuesday game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

We need a right handed hitter and it is rearing its ugly head. Wouldn't Adrian Beltre look good at third about now with his production as well.

Agree Al. I figured we'd lose this one and was fine with that if we took the first two. Last nights game really screwed the pooch. And the irony is, I dont think this loss tonight had any connection to last nights game whatsoever. I didnt notice any hangover at all, they just couldnt hit Weaver--which is exactly what I figured would happen when I saw this series and the matchups.

[/QUOTE]

Who knows what happened ?  I said they seemed deflated by last night's meltdown. Everyone disagreed. You said something to the effect that they would come out fighting. It looked like that when Ellsbury and Nava led off with hits. After that , it was all downhill , as they managed just  three more hits and no runs. Weaver was tough , but we did not get a single hit off of three different relievers. To my thinking , I was right. There was a carry over effect from last night.  Maybe it was something else. Who can say ?  All I know is that you can state an opinion here. Others can disagree with it. When your opinion becomes reality, the others will still not acknowledge it. They will find other reasons why it happened the way it did. I said clearly that the Sox would have trouble bouncing back from last night's debacle. Well , they were shut out and beaten without a whimper tonight.  I just hope the malaise does not last too long. Seattle is a team that we should beat up on. But it won't happen if they are unable to shake off the effects from Saturday night's fiasco. But you know what ? If we get swept by the inferior Mariners, those same posters will still deny that it was a carry over from Saturday. They will say something like " it happens."   Right. That's a good reason. Stick to your guns folks.  Don't ever admit that you were wrong. I'll say this; If the Sox had come out tonight aggressively and beaten up on the Angels, I would have been the first to say that they had put Saturday's game behind them. Instead , as I predicted, they came out and played poorly and were blanked by four Angel's pitchers.  Make of it what you will. On  to Seattle.

[/QUOTE]

Id be more apt to agree if the pitching was bad last night. But if there was a hangover from Saturday it wasnt obvious to me dg. The only thing you could say was that the hitters pressed too much to try to make up for the loss. But with the way they worked Weaver into deep counts all night and battled him, how can you say that? They just got beat by Weaver, period, and I always figured they would. They also got some lousy strike calls early and hit into bad luck when PD's rocket was hit right at Callaspo with first and third and none out. What can you do about that? That ball gets through down the line, we are looking at a totally different game, and most likely a win. Was PD supposed to be able to steer that ball after he crushed it? And how do we blame thay one on Saturdays game? I just dont see a strong connection to the Saturday game, and you know what else? Looking at the pitching matchups for the next two games, it could well happen again. I said that even before Saturdays game. Seattle has just won 4 out of 6 at Texas and Cincinatti, and are throwing Hernendez and Iwakuma at us. Saturday or not, those are tough games to win.

Sections
Shortcuts