Game 91: Red Sox at Mariners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Game 91: Red Sox at Mariners

RED SOX (54-36)

Nava CF, Gomes RF, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Napoli 1B, Carp LF, Saltalamacchia C, Iglesias SS, Holt 3B 

Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (8-4, 4.41).

MARINERS (39-49)
    TBA
    Pitching: RHP Felix Hernandez (8-4, 2.69).

Game time: 10:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Game 91: Red Sox at Mariners

Over/Under on K's by King Felix and other Mariners pitchers tonight:  12 1/2

Wagers? Napoli is good for 3 by himself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Over/Under on K's by King Felix and other Mariners pitchers tonight:  12 1/2

Wagers? Napoli is good for 3 by himself.

Under. I say 7.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Under...by 1. He strikes out 11 in 7 2/3   Mariners offense is horrible Sox win 3-2

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I seem to post this alot, but once again this a HUGE game for John Lester......he has been better the last 2, but this a classic Stopper situation....team has lost the last 2, the 1st of which was a heart breaker, the 2nd a Shutout.....we need out ACE to get us a win so we do not go into a spiral. Seattle is hitting .236 versus lefties with alot less HR's versus lefties(33 vs 71 vs RHP)...this is a team he should be able to keep off the scoreboard.....and we have to assume the King will be tough tonight, so we need Lester to step up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Under...by 1. He strikes out 11 in 7 2/3   Mariners offense is horrible Sox win 3-2

He strikes out 9 including Napoli three times. Mariners offense is horrible; Lester is pitching. Mariners win 10-2.

Just kidding, but Seattle's offense is not that bad. They have an OPS+ of 99, just below the AL average and in 8th place. They are second lowest in runs scored, but that park is a pitcher's paradise. Seattle's team ERA+ is 91, third from the bottom. Take that pitching staff and put it at Fenway and they would not fare well. The key will be working the count and getting Felix out of the game early, exposing the soft underbelly of the Mariners, their bullpen-which is even worse than ours, ranking 14th of the 15 AL teams. If Felix pitches into the  8th we are in a lot of trouble.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mjagger's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He strikes out 9 including Napoli three times. Mariners offense is horrible; Lester is pitching. Mariners win 10-2.

Just kidding, but Seattle's offense is not that bad. They have an OPS+ of 99, just below the AL average and in 8th place. They are second lowest in runs scored, but that park is a pitcher's paradise. Seattle's team ERA+ is 91, third from the bottom. Take that pitching staff and put it at Fenway and they would not fare well. The key will be working the count and getting Felix out of the game early, exposing the soft underbelly of the Mariners, their bullpen-which is even worse than ours, ranking 14th of the 15 AL teams. If Felix pitches into the  8th we are in a lot of trouble.

"BP worse than ours?" Is that possible?

[/QUOTE]

Theirs is 14th at 4.34 ERA; ours is 11th at 4.14. And thats not corrected for the park each team plays half their games in. If you do that their pen looks even worse. So thats the key: get their SP out of the game in time to score enough runs to squeak out a win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nava has played four games in center field in his professional career. The last one was in Pawtucket in 2010.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I seem to post this alot, but once again this a HUGE game for John Lester......he has been better the last 2, but this a classic Stopper situation....team has lost the last 2, the 1st of which was a heart breaker, the 2nd a Shutout.....we need out ACE to get us a win so we do not go into a spiral. Seattle is hitting .236 versus lefties with alot less HR's versus lefties(33 vs 71 vs RHP)...this is a team he should be able to keep off the scoreboard.....and we have to assume the King will be tough tonight, so we need Lester to step up.

He's not an "ACE" as you stated above.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nava in CF in the Red Sox organization: 1 start, 13 total innings, 2 putouts, 0 errors.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I was actually there last week on vacation and though it may still be a pitchers' park, they moved the fences in. I believe CF was moved in 20 ft or so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

And as I posted in another thread, Victorino is out again. He must be hurt.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I was actually there last week on vacation and though it may still be a pitchers' park, they moved the fences in. I believe CF was moved in 20 ft or so.

The leftfield and centerfield fences at Safeco Field were moved in between four and 17 feet:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39364000&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

The Mariners this season have perfected the solo homerun, ranking fourth in the league in homeruns but 14th in runs scored.

I would note that the Red Sox have a .334 BABIP* that will be hard to sustain while the Mariners apparently have been somewhat unlucky with a BABIP of .281:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,d

* Batting Average for Balls In Play

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ellsbury has some irritation in left wrist, which is why he's out of the lineup. Victorino not ready, but could be used in an emergency.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ellsbury has some irritation in left wrist, which is why he's out of the lineup. Victorino not ready, but could be used in an emergency.

Great. Another two week vacation for the Man of Glass.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]I was actually there last week on vacation and though it may still be a pitchers' park, they moved the fences in. I believe CF was moved in 20 ft or so.

The leftfield and centerfield fences at Safeco Field were moved in between four and 17 feet:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39364000&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

The Mariners this season have perfected the solo homerun, ranking fourth in the league in homeruns but 14th in runs scored.

I would note that the Red Sox have a .334 BABIP* that will be hard to sustain while the Mariners apparently have been somewhat unlucky with a BABIP of .281:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=0&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=12,d

* Batting Average for Balls In Play

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarification hill. My relative who I was with said about 20. Interesting that LF was moved in. The park must have been non symmetrical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nava in CF in the Red Sox organization: 1 start, 13 total innings, 2 putouts, 0 errors.

I'm fine with Nava in center; he's a good athlete. i'm not fine with Ells sitting out. Maybe Ells has a minor injury. I doubt it.

[/QUOTE] Ellsbury doesn't know it's not the end of the month. What he do break another fingernail...Good riddins Ells, maybe they have a trade with the Dodgers in place for Kemp and a passell of minor leaguers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

here's another over/under. i have the SOX winning 3 games on this west coast trip. 

Thats A Positive Thought..........

Sections
Shortcuts