Victorino RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Napoli 1B
    Gomes LF
    Drew SS
    Saltalamacchia C
    Iglesias 3B
    Pitching: LHP Felix Doubront (7-3, 3.76).

RAYS (59-42)
    TBA
    Pitching: LHP David Price (4-5, 4.03).

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN, ESPN / WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Game Thread 103: Rays at Red Sox

Alex Speier - WEEI.com, Red Sox Beat Writer

Pedroia deal: $1M bonus, 2014-15 $12.5M, 2016 $13M, 2017 $15M, 2018 $16M, 2019 $15M, 2020 $13M, 2021 $12M so $110M over 8 yrs; some $ defer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hopefully Doubie can pitch into the 6 th or 7 th and keep it close against Price.

I am somewhat surprised Snyder isn't in at third and Iggy at SS against the tough lefty--giving Drew a night off. Perhaps a team has expressed interest in Drew and wants to see him against Price?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham 

Symbolism of Ortiz being at Pedroia's press conference pretty telling. Everybody on board with this move

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/Boston Herald      

John Henry said Pedroia came to him a year and a half ago and said he was interested in finishing rest of his career with Red Sox

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Alex Speier - WEEI.com, Red Sox Beat Writer

Pedroia: A no-brained to me... I'm not here to set markets... I'm here to win more games than the other second basemen

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons - ESPN, Senior Baseball Reporter

His jr. Yr @ ASU, Pedroia gave up his scholarship to sign a pitcher. He deferred much of his new Red Sox deal so they can use $...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I plan on ordering a new Red Sox jersey and I have decided to have Pedroia on the back.  Laughing

My first three jerseys were Schilling, Beckett (I know, I know, I know, but he did save our season in game five of the 2007 ALCS vs. the Indians............on the road!!!), and Youkilis.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

that 3rd run is all on Dubront...if you look at the replay he goes into the stretch and never even looks at either runner on first or second... they both steal and the sacrifice scores the guy on third.....how does a big league pitcher not check runners? you just cant do stuff like this especially against Price who is really hard to score against

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Good choice Pedie should be around for a while unless the fans turn on him too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

three runs look large with Price sharp.  Need to start chipping away soon.

NC

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

For what it;s worth, I flipped over and watched the 1st inning of the Yankees-Texas game. Someone has gotten to Garza and cured him of his-rapid-fire spitting while on the mound. He got out of a little first inning jam, but looks to have pretty good stuff.

Price has been unjiyyable since getting off the DL; may be a short night!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

that 3rd run is all on Dubront...if you look at the replay he goes into the stretch and never even looks at either runner on first or second... they both steal and the sacrifice scores the guy on third.....how does a big league pitcher not check runners? you just cant do stuff like this especially against Price who is really hard to score against

Douby's not the sharpest tool in the box. He lacks baseball instincts. Has a terrible move to 1st.

Farrell, on the other hand, has one job; to put the palyers in the game who give the SOX the best chance of winning against a certain opposing pitcher. By putting Gomes in left and Drew at SS, Farrell has failed miserably. This game is OVAH!

[/QUOTE]

Hmm...not sure i agree with that.... Gomes hits lefties pretty darn well and as to Drew, maybe youre right but i think he has him in there to get back into the groove even though Drew hasnt had much of a groove all season

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Got a feeling the Sox are gonna get shutout again tonight...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Price has been unjiyyable since getting off the DL

I'd have said unhittable, but in retrospect, I think your spelling captured it better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Pedroia is 0 for 8 or so and cant get the ball out of the infield since his new contract...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to torgorocks' comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Douby's not the sharpest tool in the box. He lacks baseball instincts. Has a terrible move to 1st.

Farrell, on the other hand, has one job; to put the palyers in the game who give the SOX the best chance of winning against a certain opposing pitcher. By putting Gomes in left and Drew at SS, Farrell has failed miserably. This game is OVAH!

[/QUOTE]

Nava is 1-18 against Price.  Is he the one you want in LF?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

That dropped catch in LF by Gomes is the difference in the game so far.  The game would have been 0-0 if not....

That seemed a catchable ball, especially for major leaguers.

Doubront is good for a #4.

Rays will cool off soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

68 pitches into the 7th....Sox are going to have to work something against Price here if they want to win tonight.  Napoli with a start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Naps is a tad warm.  At least no SO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

I have to say that I was on board with the Drew signing but he really has been pretty bad... I thought he would hit much better than he is but I was obviously wrong...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even the gulf coast Rays are beating up on the Sox tonight.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

WAs Ben really thinking that this bum Thornton was going to help this team?? He just plain stinks... and has single handedly put this game out of reach.... how many times is Farrell going to keep putting him out there to blow games or chances to keep it close??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Thornton makes Eric Gagne look like a find! What the heck were the Sox looking at when they thought he was worth trading for! All he's done so far is allow the opponents to score at will, tonight was really special.

Sections
Shortcuts