Game Thread 107: Rays at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Re: Game Thread 107: Rays at Red Sox

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Unfathonable! Nava goes in as the runner, while Iglesius is saved? For what? Nava not only has less than normal speed, he is also not a good base RUNNER. I assumed Iggy would go to 2nd base as the pinch runner and when I saw Nava going out there I cringed. As it happened, the ump made a very bad call, but that doesn't excuse JF's baad call! What was he thinking? Then he compounds his poor judgement in the 9th in the 9th byt calling on Victorino to bunt! With Ellsbury on 1st. The idea should have been for Ellsbury to steal, and THEN BUNT!

I like Farrell, and averall he's doing a great job. But, tonight, his bench-managing brains took a vacation.

Ding!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A few observations:  It was an exciting , dramatic game. Real pennant race atmosphere.  A few key plays went against us. Iglesias would have been a better choice to run for Lavarnway. Nava messed up on Drew's hit. Should have scored. Nava was clearly safe at home on the next play.  The umpire was poorly positioned and blew the call.  Do not like Victorino trying to sacrifice when you can steal the bag. All it did was put him in a two strike hole. I don't think the new contract has anything to do with it , but Pedroia is clearly pressing. Trying to do too much.  Napoli has some big hits for us , but there are situations where Carp would be a better option. With the hard throwing right hander out there, this was a spot to hit Carp. Not sure if they would have walked him to load the bases. Not so sure we actually need bullpen help at the deadline. Uehara continues to excel. Britton has been impressive. Morales pitched one inning at Pawtucket tonight . Struck out the side. Contreras has been lights out at Pawtucket.  Finally , the Sox will shake this loss off and bounce right back, as they have done all year. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A few observations:  It was an exciting , dramatic game. Real pennant race atmosphere.  A few key plays went against us. Iglesias would have been a better choice to run for Lavarnway. Nava messed up on Drew's hit. Should have scored. Nava was clearly safe at home on the next play.  The umpire was poorly positioned and blew the call.  Do not like Victorino trying to sacrifice when you can steal the bag. All it did was put him in a two strike hole. I don't think the new contract has anything to do with it , but Pedroia is clearly pressing. Trying to do too much.  Napoli has some big hits for us , but there are situations where Carp would be a better option. With the hard throwing right hander out there, this was a spot to hit Carp. Not sure if they would have walked him to load the bases. Not so sure we actually need bullpen help at the deadline. Uehara continues to excel. Britton has been impressive. Morales pitched one inning at Pawtucket tonight . Struck out the side. Contreras has been lights out at Pawtucket.  Finally , the Sox will shake this loss off and bounce right back, as they have done all year. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Pretty good stuff, dgalehouse.  My only quarrel is with saying it was obvious Carp should have batted for Napoli because I think Carp would have gone down on three pitches.  Napoli actually hits righties better than lefties.  Besides, Rodney has both a 98 mph heater and some wicked breaking balls--he got the K on a changeup breaking toward Napoli.   

Your overall characterization of the game is dead on.  Very exciting, especially after we got the cheap dinger and were only down 1 run. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Bottom line is, the Sox have GOT to get somebody batting behind Ortiz that doesnt strike out three times a game. What about when he was at second with no one out in the 2nd? Not to mention the IBB in the 9th. Napoli's propensity to SO is what inspired thatl hes had some big hits I admit, but more often than not he does what he did tonight. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Pretty good stuff, dgalehouse.  My only quarrel is with saying it was obvious Carp should have batted for Napoli because I think Carp would have gone down on three pitches.  Napoli actually hits righties better than lefties.  Besides, Rodney has both a 98 mph heater and some wicked breaking balls--he got the K on a changeup breaking toward Napoli.   

Your overall characterization of the game is dead on.  Very exciting, especially after we got the cheap dinger and were only down 1 run. 

Thanks. Rodney is tough on anybody. I just think that Carp has had success against right handers and would have had a better chance to get a base hit. You are not looking for a long ball there, just a single. True , he could have struck out too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Theyll shake it off til they run into King Felix Thursday night. Lets just hope they win the first two, which is no guarantee considering Iwakuma goes Wed. Im not as annoyed at the loss itself as I am the Rays, who continue to get the best dumb luck of any team I have ever seen this side of the 90's Braves, and Im sick of it.

Sections
Shortcuts