Game Thread 139: Tigers at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Game Thread 139: Tigers at Red Sox

0-11 RISP. Tough Day, next one better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber - Boston Herald, Red Sox Reporter

John Lackey: "Honestly, this is about as good as I've ever pitched. I'm probably better now than I ever have been."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Scott Lauber - Boston Herald, Red Sox Reporter

John Lackey: "Honestly, this is about as good as I've ever pitched. I'm probably better now than I ever have been."

That is good to hear!!  like the quote.  He deserve to be the top two starter spots for the post season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's truly amazing how some guys seem to get screwed every year.  I know some think lackey may be on the trade bubble (and he may) but I think the red sox keep him.  It would be a real statistical anamoly for his misfortunes to repeat themselves, I'd actually be willing to bet he'd be closer to having a reverse in fortune.

One thing I've learned about athletic performance, from my education of it to observation to my experience is there are three things that vastly contribute to someone's performance as they age: genetics, luck, and ones own ability to take care of their health.  The later of those three I feel are not only the most controllable but the most easily assumed but yet often ignored.

This is partly speculation with my only real proof being the success he's had this year but John Lackey strikes me as the type of player who would put in more effort than the average player to continue to be as good into his 30's.  To come back at his age and be as successful as he's been is a real testament to the hard work he put in to get back here.  

Thats the kinda guy I want on my team.  I'd never thought I'd be saying this but I want him back next year, he's a legit #2 guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Garrett Quinn/MassLiveNews      

Run support for Red Sox starting pitchers: Lackey 3.28, Peavy 5.0 Lester 5.00, Doubront 5.52, Dempster 5.65

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

For your information, he is not going to get traded!!   Free agency are so awful every year.  Look at Dempster, Lohse, Jackson, McCarthy, etc.  They all probably will not go over .500 this year!!

Come on, Boston isnt going to gamble on trading Lackey and try to use one of the young pitcher from the farm system.  If he fail, then Boston would end up giving up couple good prospects to get a good pitcher!!

Forget it man!!  Lackey is coming back, and Dempster is likely to go!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Extra bases

The bunt that backfired on the Red Sox

For the first time this season, Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was asked to put down a sacrifice bunt. It was a decision that helped lead to Monday‚Äôs 3-0 loss against the Tigers.     not me, it is the Globe...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A sac bunt is usually not a good idea.  A sac bunt with two on , no outs and one of your better sluggers at bat , is a worse idea.   Bad baseball.  Apparently , the  double plays turned by the Tiger's brilliant young shortstop choked off the Sox rallies and convinced Farrell to try some " small ball " .

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Suggestion to JF:

Have someone bunt that has bunted in the last 5 years. It's a sacrifice--you are carrying three catchers---John MacDonald knows how to bunt---pinch hit him for Salty. Bunt it down the 3 B line make the 3 B handle it. Done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why people criticized over JF forcing Salty to bunt the ball.  When he saw that the infield were playing back, and he thought that Salty can just bunt the ball down the line where he could either move the men down while he could be out at the 1b.

We cant criticized after we all saw what happen.  Just like if the Red Sox decided to play shift defense, and suddenly a guy hit the ball toward to the left field.  Then we all would say, oh, JF should not have use shift defense cuz if that SS was playing in the normal position would have made DP or whatever.

Come on, JF sometime have to gamble once a while, but guess players failed for him.  Really blame three DP's prior to Salty's bunt.

It is not they are on a long losing streak.  It is just one game that nothing went toward their ways.  Time to step up and beat the best pitcher in MLB tonite!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

When we get in the playoffs, we'll be facing better pitchers and runs will be harder to come by, especially since this team doesn't seem to have a bunch of big thumpers. I've always thought everyone on a major league team should be able to lay one down, when called for. In a tight ballgame we tried hitting away and the result was 3 double plays. We can argue all we want about the pros and cons of sacrificing but if we are ever going to use the tactic it has to be practiced and that hasn't happened over the course of the season. Maybe we'll see more of it in the near future. I certainly hope so. 

Sections
Shortcuts