Game Thread 140: Tigers at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Game Thread 140: Tigers at Red Sox

RHP Max Scherzer (19-1, 2.90) vs. LHP Jon Lester (12-8, 3.99), 7:10 p.m., NESN, MLB Network.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Game Thread 140: Tigers at Red Sox

RED SOX (82-57)
    Victorino CF
    Nava RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Carp 1B
    Gomes LF
    Drew SS
    Ross C
    Middlebrooks 3B
    Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (12-8, 3.99).

TIGERS (81-57)
    TBA
    Pitching: RHP Max Scherzer (19-1, 2.90).

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN, MLB Network / WEEI.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham         

Ellsbury is 5 for 9 against Scherzer, so assuming his absence is injury related. We'll find out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Pete Abraham         

Ellsbury is 5 for 9 against Scherzer, so assuming his absence is injury related. We'll find out.

probably need a rest for his injured thumb...he jammed it at the plate.  I do not know how he jammed his thumb swinging the bat.

As long if they can win the game without him, I am fine with that.  Maybe he can rest again tomorrow.  After tonite game, Boston only have 21 games left to play!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Pete Abraham         

probably need a rest for his injured thumb...he jammed it at the plate.  I do not know how he jammed his thumb swinging the bat.

As long if they can win the game without him, I am fine with that.  Maybe he can rest again tomorrow.  After tonite game, Boston only have 21 games left to play!!

He does seem to get injured a lot. I am not saying that he is faking it or that he should not rest his injured thumb now that we have a little breathing room in the ALE race, but the fact of the matter is that he IS injury prone for whatever reason and any contract offer made to him should reflect that fact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Lester has a 5.26 ERA in six career starts against the Tigers.  Our bats need to be especially hot tonight.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo   

Jacoby Ellsbury isn't in the lineup. He's had a swollen left hand. Victorino is starting in CF and leading off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Dodgers at Fenway on Halloween:

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

Here's the playoff schedule:

Oct. 1: National League Wild Card Game (TBS)
    Oct. 2: American League Wild Card Game (TBS)

Oct. 3: National League Division Series starts (best of five, TBS or MLBN)
    Oct. 4: American League Division Series starts (best of five, TBS or MLBN)

Oct. 9: Final day of National League Division Series (if 5 games)
    Oct. 10: Final day of American League Division Series (if 5 games)

Oct. 11: NLCS starts (best of seven, TBS)
    Oct. 12: ALCS starts (best of seven, FOX)

Oct. 19: Final day of NLCS (if 7 games)
    Oct. 20: Final day of ALCS (if 7 games)

109th World Series
    (Best of seven, all games on FOX)
    Oct. 23 At AL city
    Oct. 24: At AL city
    Oct. 25: Off day
    Oct. 26: At NL city
    Oct. 27: At NL city
    Oct. 28: At NL city
    Oct. 29: Off day
    Oct. 30: At AL city
    Oct. 31: At AL city

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Barring  inside information we lack,  one must reject  this lineup utterly... Leaving aside the Ells question mark ( lets leave it to PeteAbe), the absence of Salty is purely  flirting with disaster...how badly does he needs a rest?... He had a bad yesterday, so what? Everybody did!...keeping  pedey in third slot is also questionable... ortiz , carp, nava, drew and Salty in a row would have made more sense... Gomes as late inning pinch hitter could  have been more suitable... So once more we raise the question: why so much patchwork in extended roster and not brad jr or a better merchandise from the waivers pipeline ?...

brightest spot in tonight lineup is Nap waiting for platooning valuable work... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

No Napoli.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ross in Lavarnway out?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Miguel Cabrera returns to the lineup tonight.  Sox face playoff lineup of the Tigers.  Let's if we can handle their lineup and ace.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham     

Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be out a few days with lower back soreness.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham          

Buchholz starts Thursday in AAA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Miguel Cabrera returns to the lineup tonight.  Sox face playoff lineup of the Tigers.  Let's if we can handle their lineup and ace.  

Geez the Red Sox will face a 19-1 pitcher and Lester will face the best hitter in all of baseball.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[/QUOTE]

He does seem to get injured a lot. I am not saying that he is faking it or that he should not rest his injured thumb now that we have a little breathing room in the ALE race, but the fact of the matter is that he IS injury prone for whatever reason and any contract offer made to him should reflect that fact.

[/QUOTE]

It's posts like this that attempt to perpetuate the myth than he gets injured a lot.  In fact he doesn't get injured a lot.  He's had two significant injuries since the start of the 2008 season, both of which came from someone landing on him.  Hardly his fault and hardly predictable.  This is the kind of thing that could happen to anyone. He just happened to have the bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - twice!

Other than the two hard-luck injuries in 2010 & 2012 he's played in 90+% of the games in each year of his career.  That's hardly "injury prone". 

However, if anyone wants to try to use the argument that he's "injury prone" to try to convince Scott Bora$$ (and any owners other than the Red Sox - who know better) to have any salary offers reflect that, I'm all for it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Looks stacked against us, but I believe in this team and believe in Lester to hold his own against Scherzer.  Should be a great game and I'll go on record saying Boston takes it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This is why they play the games.  It wasn't that long ago that the Yankees were sending CC against Ryan Dempster and look how that worked out!

The really good news is that if the naysayers are right and Scherzer is himself tonight, come tomorrow morning the Sox are still going to be at least 4 1/2 up.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jenny Dell - NESN, Red Sox Beat Reporter

Farrell: Ellsbury out dealing with soreness in hand. Expected back in lineup Wed but something he'll "have to manage the rest of the way"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Jenny Dell - NESN, Red Sox Beat Reporter

Farrell: Ellsbury out dealing with soreness in hand. Expected back in lineup Wed but something he'll "have to manage the rest of the way"

Please Jenny tel john to call up brad jr!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[/QUOTE]

It's posts like this that attempt to perpetuate the myth than he gets injured a lot.  In fact he doesn't get injured a lot.  He's had two significant injuries since the start of the 2008 season, both of which came from someone landing on him.  Hardly his fault and hardly predictable.  This is the kind of thing that could happen to anyone. He just happened to have the bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - twice!

Other than the two hard-luck injuries in 2010 & 2012 he's played in 90+% of the games in each year of his career.  That's hardly "injury prone". 

However, if anyone wants to try to use the argument that he's "injury prone" to try to convince Scott Bora$$ (and any owners other than the Red Sox - who know better) to have any salary offers reflect that, I'm all for it!

[/QUOTE]

Just Pumpsie being Pumpsie, 5.  You are wasting your time.  It's like trying to reason with Softy when it comes to Ells.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

FWIW, I'd have moved Pedey into the two hole.  I'd also tell him to swing at the first meatball thrown instead of grounding into DP's on sliders down and away.  I wish Ted Williams were alive to counsel him on not wasting hitter's pitches.  I know Pedey is the engine that drives this machine, but still, he could be that much better offensively if he weren't always wasting that first pitch.  I know others don't agree with me on this, as it's not the first time I've brought it up.  So if you've jumped all over me for this proposition in the past, please save it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

I say Scherzer doesnt make it out of the 6th tonight. Just a hunch. I think he "chocks".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Hope you're right, Days.  It's about time someone hung that second loss on him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

FWIW, I'd have moved Pedey into the two hole.  I'd also tell him to swing at the first meatball thrown instead of grounding into DP's on sliders down and away.  I wish Ted Williams were alive to counsel him on not wasting hitter's pitches.  I know Pedey is the engine that drives this machine, but still, he could be that much better offensively if he weren't always wasting that first pitch.  I know others don't agree with me on this, as it's not the first time I've brought it up.  So if you've jumped all over me for this proposition in the past, please save it. 

I agree 100%.  Just like anything else, " working the count " can be over done to the point where the hitter is far too predictable.  The first pitch just might be the best one you are going to get.

Sections
Shortcuts