Game Thread 152: Orioles at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

Re: Game Thread 152: Orioles at Red Sox

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

What a job by Breslow.

The baseball Gods are with us

Hopefully they can get us out of this!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

At least everyone else lost tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

WEEI opened the inning with some godawful song about Uehara.  That jinxed him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Vic could have had that.

Don't think he can run all out, with the hamstring injury

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Will the magic continue? Stay tuned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Good time for Xander to come through.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Not tonight but magic number reduced by one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomtom1. Show tomtom1's posts

What a terrible game.  Three stinking hits.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Can't win many with only three hits.  Two after the first inning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Oh well. All is good.  No pressure.  They are going to win the division.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

No problem. Winning the division is a foregone conclusion. The only goal now is best record , so we can have home field advantage in the ALCS.  That would be nice , but it is not vital.

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomtom1. Show tomtom1's posts

We will be in the playoffs.  We will win the East.  What's important now is home field advantage through the playoffs.  We lost a game to Detroit (they are now 3&1/2 back) and Oakland can get to 2&1/2 back of us if they win tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

No problem. Winning the division is a foregone conclusion. The only goal now is best record , so we can have home field advantage in the ALCS.  That would be nice , but it is not vital.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Glad Koji got the run out of the way. Low ball called a strike, forced XBO to swing at the next 2. Get 'em tomorrow. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to tomtom1's comment:

[QUOTE]

We will be in the playoffs.  We will win the East.  What's important now is home field advantage through the playoffs.  We lost a game to Detroit (they are now 3&1/2 back) and Oakland can get to 2&1/2 back of us if they win tonight.

[/QUOTE]

Sox seemed a little flat tonight.  They will come back tomorrow.  They have all year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

xander looked pretty bad there, johnson threw the same pitch in the same location 3 times in a row and bogaerts was not able to hit it once. its games like these that make you worry about how this team will fare in the playoffs. only 3 hits against a very average pitcher in scott feldman. number 4 starter at best. having nava and carp bat 5/6 shows the lack of true offensive talent on this team. middlebrooks on the bench despite drew only having 6 hits in his last 35 at bats, which works out to a .171 and has posted 18 more k's than hits this season. farrell really needs to learn how to make proper line ups, i honestly cant figure out what goes through his head when he makes them. tonight should have been:

pedroia

victorino

ortiz

napoli

middlebrooks

nava/carp ( having them both in the outfield hurts our outfield d big time and forces victorino to play CF)

salty

bogaerts

bradley jr

I dont care that bradley jr hasnt been hitting great, we need his defense in center which also allows us to keep victorino in RF. Last thing we need his him injuring himself in center. as i mentioned above, having nava and carp both in the outfield at the same time is ridiculous. they are both below average defenders and should only be used in LF. Nava has no arm and should not be playing RF. keeping bogaerts at ss is something that should not be overlooked right now, allowing him to focus on hitting will help him adapt quicker to major league pitching. having to learn a new position at the same time will not do him any good and will distract him from focusing on hitting. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

middlebrooks on the bench despite drew only having 6 hits in his last 35 at bats, which works out to a .171 and has posted 18 more k's than hits this season. farrell really needs to learn how to make proper line ups, i honestly cant figure out what goes through his head when he makes them. 

a) Middlebrooks was unavailable tonight because of the flu.

b) Middlebrooks is 0 for his last 17.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

I agree 100%. Farrell may be in the running for MOY, but he does leave a lot to be desired in his field managing decisions. Btw, why was BOGEY not pinch hit for  by Gomes in that 9th inning pressure at bat? Wasn't that the reason the SOX obtained Gomes? 

Don't be ridiculous.  You don't pitch hit Gomes for Bogaerts against a righty pitcher.  That's the type of thing Bobby Valentine would do.

A big reason Gomes was obtained was that he has huge numbers against lefty pitchers.  Johnson is not a lefty. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Ok, I get that this game wasnt HUGE for the Sox, but I dont like what I just saw, and here's why.

1. It WAS big for Baltimore, and the Sox came out flat like they were in cruise mode against a team they have been inconsistent against lately, and needed to beat down to eliminate them--partly because its the right thing to do, and partly because of 2011. Its not the loss, losses happen. I didnt like the flat look the offense had, especially against Baltimore. Last thing we need is to have them come in here and win this series. The playoffs are full of teams desperate to win, and I want to see them met with an equal vigor.

2. Oakland will creep to within 2.5 games of top seed if they beat LA. Thats too close. We do NOT need to blow home field when we're this close.

3. Only three hits? Was Feldman THAT good? I dont think so. We were in cruise mode tonight, and I don't want to see it ever again til the trophy is hoisted.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

3. Only three hits? Was Feldman THAT good? I dont think so. We were in cruise mode tonight, and I don't want to see it ever again til the trophy is hoisted.  

Feldman's been pitching well.  In his last 6 starts before tonight he had a 1.77 ERA and a .181 batting average against.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

Ridiculous was having an untested 20 year old put in that situation. That's something John Farrell would do.

Bull.  What situation?  It wasn't a must-win game.  Give the kid a shot.

And Gomes is a lifetime .225 hitter against righties.  Nice idea though. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Id say its vital Dg. Losing it after having it would be even worse. No let up, full force til the end.