Game Thread 18: Royals at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Game Thread 18: Royals at Red Sox

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Very disappointing to lose a doubleheader at home to this mediocre team. A total letdown from the high of yesterday. A lack of clutch hitting and clutch pitching. A choke job. Our vaunted bullpen outclassed by the Royal's little known , but hard throwing relievers. Bad base running. Miller with his usual lack of control. The tiresome sight of Salty and Middlebrooks striking out in the middle of the order.  Just a day to forget. Let's hope it is not the beginning of the collapse. Just a very poor performance today. There is nothing else to say. They should be embarrassed. 

The Royals are much improved this year. That said, we should not be losing a series to them at home, especially by losing both ends of a DH. We had our chances and blew it. Napoli was out by at least 10 feet at home, and we left Carp on 3B where he arrived with just one out. I am sure I forgot other missed opportunities too.

Salty does strike out too much, and Middlebrooks' act is getting old. Not sure there is much of an option other than to play those two guys right now.

Now we have a tough Oakland team coming in for three games. I believe they were just swept by the Rays and will be itching to get back on track at our expense. We must take at least two games from them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Very disappointing to lose a doubleheader at home to this mediocre team. A total letdown from the high of yesterday. A lack of clutch hitting and clutch pitching. A choke job. Our vaunted bullpen outclassed by the Royal's little known , but hard throwing relievers. Bad base running. Miller with his usual lack of control. The tiresome sight of Salty and Middlebrooks striking out in the middle of the order.  Just a day to forget. Let's hope it is not the beginning of the collapse. Just a very poor performance today. There is nothing else to say. They should be embarrassed. 

My fear exactly. When you look at some of the guys on this team, you have to accept that a collapse is a possibility. 

Can you call it a collapse if the team starts playing at its expected level (.500 baseball)?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Very nice start for Webster. It has been a long time since the Red Sox pitching has looked as good as it has for the first 18 games. They are deep with starters and with the exception of Hanrahan the bp has been fabulous.

Well, Bailey has been just as shakey as Hanrahan, just luckier w/ the umps. Luckier w/ the wind too I think.

Hanrahan has given up 6 hits and 5  walks in 4 and 2/3 innings. HIs ERA is 11.57

Bailey has given up 5 hits and 3 walks in 8 and 1/3.

Bailey has struck out 13, I repeat 13 guys in those 8 and 1/3 innings. His ERA is 2.16.

No offense, but Bailey has not been "just as shaky" I am not really sure what you are talking about.

Not sure, really? Bailey blew a save last week. He looked absolutely dreadful on Sat. Plus the umps haven't pressed him like they did Hanrahan. He's been just as shakey. 

Nope...not even close.

I just broke it down for you. I am talking about results. You're talking about hypotheticals.

Bailey has good results. Hanrahan has horrible results.

If you want to blame the results on the wind and the umps that is up to you.

But Bailey has been much, much, much better than hanrahan.

Hanrahan would need to pitch about 24 scoreless innnings to get his ERA to where Baileys is now. That is a lot of wind and bad calls.

I wasnt necessarily talking about results. Results are flip of a coin when you're that shakey.

Also Bailey has pitched twice the amount of innings. 

Wind & umps are a part of baseball, no? 

I know you werent talking about results.

Lets try this another way. Bailey has pitched 9 and 1/3, a complete game basically.

He has given up 2 runs, with 5 hits and 3 walks. He has struck out 15. He has a 0.86 WHIP.

this is not "shaky"

He's had one "lights-out" save.. & that was vs. the tribe. Now you're adding #'s he didn't accumulate during his save chances. He's been shakey. 

I am not "adding" anything. I am giving you the guys stats for the year. which are good.

Odd conversation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Very nice start for Webster. It has been a long time since the Red Sox pitching has looked as good as it has for the first 18 games. They are deep with starters and with the exception of Hanrahan the bp has been fabulous.

Well, Bailey has been just as shakey as Hanrahan, just luckier w/ the umps. Luckier w/ the wind too I think.

Hanrahan has given up 6 hits and 5  walks in 4 and 2/3 innings. HIs ERA is 11.57

Bailey has given up 5 hits and 3 walks in 8 and 1/3.

Bailey has struck out 13, I repeat 13 guys in those 8 and 1/3 innings. His ERA is 2.16.

No offense, but Bailey has not been "just as shaky" I am not really sure what you are talking about.

Not sure, really? Bailey blew a save last week. He looked absolutely dreadful on Sat. Plus the umps haven't pressed him like they did Hanrahan. He's been just as shakey. 

Nope...not even close.

I just broke it down for you. I am talking about results. You're talking about hypotheticals.

Bailey has good results. Hanrahan has horrible results.

If you want to blame the results on the wind and the umps that is up to you.

But Bailey has been much, much, much better than hanrahan.

Hanrahan would need to pitch about 24 scoreless innnings to get his ERA to where Baileys is now. That is a lot of wind and bad calls.

I wasnt necessarily talking about results. Results are flip of a coin when you're that shakey.

Also Bailey has pitched twice the amount of innings. 

Wind & umps are a part of baseball, no? 

I know you werent talking about results.

Lets try this another way. Bailey has pitched 9 and 1/3, a complete game basically.

He has given up 2 runs, with 5 hits and 3 walks. He has struck out 15. He has a 0.86 WHIP.

this is not "shaky"

He's had one "lights-out" save.. & that was vs. the tribe. Now you're adding #'s he didn't accumulate during his save chances. He's been shakey. 

I am not "adding" anything. I am giving you the guys stats for the year. which are good.

Odd conversation.

But he hasn't been the closer the whole year has he? Bailey pitched last night too, was it a Save situation? No.

Listen, I have no agenda here. Who ever deserves to be the Closer should be the Closer in my book. Out of the very small sample size we're talking about, neither have shown they deserve that role. It's a long season. Things can change. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Just to be clear about Bailey:

Out all Bailey's 5 hits allowed this season, 4 out of 5 have come in 9th Inning Save situations. 

His 3 Walks? Yes indeed, have come in the 9th inning Save situation. 

His HR? Again, yes, you guessed it. It happened in 9th inning Save situation. 

He's only pitch one 9th inning that was not a Save situation, and that was last night. 

During all 5.1 innings of non-Save situations, he's given up 1 hit w/ an ERA of 0.00.

His 9th Inning ERA is 3.60 ( & that is including last night's non-save appearance ). His ERA In Save Situations is actually 4.50.

You take all his stats at once & they are very misleading. You break them down within the context of said argument? He's been Shakey. 

Sections
Shortcuts