Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister

If Beckett gets DL'd it's only to save him the embarrassment of not having to throw batting practice again anytime soon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": [QUOTE]Can't better pitching than the Sox got yesterday out of Lester.  Today is a bit different but it is hard to win games when you don't score runs.  Too early in the season I guess to do anything but complain.  I believe it's his thumb...he didn't look this bad in ST...not a lot of movement on his fastball either. Posted by traven[/QUOTE] Actually, you can pitch better than Lester did. Verlander was a lot better because Lester was a little lucky with those three DP's. Verlander went 8. Then the Sox hitters scored 2 off Valverde who hadn't blown a save since 2010. Not too shabby. But the bullpen opened the floodgates and would have given up more if the Tigers had needed them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": Actually, you can pitch better than Lester did. Verlander was a lot better because Lester was a little lucky with those three DP's. Verlander went 8. Then the Sox hitters scored 2 off Valverde who hadn't blown a save since 2010. Not too shabby. But the bullpen opened the floodgates and would have given up more if the Tigers had needed them.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Agree with you that Verlander out pitched Lester but if the Sox get many games pitched like they got yesterday...they will win their share.  Sox BP is not as good as it needs to be obviously...but hopefully the hitting comes alive and the BP doesn't have to play too big of a role for the first few months.  Sox definitely have some weak spots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Wow, do you know how ugly this could get? And how quickly it's going to happen? No way the fan base is even as patient as last year (which wasn't very patient) if it starts going bad. Not after last September, and all the talk of a chip on their shoulder, and having something to prove all winter. Wow, just wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The thing about Lester is when he gave up the hit to LF late in the game instead of backing up the bases he stood there with that sour pus like it was someone else's fault but his.  Still waiting for him to grow up............

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And why isn't there more talk about Sweeney butchering that play in RF?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister : Agree with you that Verlander out pitched Lester but if the Sox get many games pitched like they got yesterday...they will win their share.  Sox BP is not as good as it needs to be obviously...but hopefully the hitting comes alive and the BP doesn't have to play too big of a role for the first few months.  Sox definitely have some weak spots. Posted by traven[/QUOTE] I think the hitting did come around Thursday in the 9th. Verlander was simply unhittable, which really good pitchers can be, even against good hitting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Joining here late today and have not read all comments. 8-0 right now. Yes, Beckett's velocity is way down. 89-91 today, 5 homers. Not good. The thumb has to be an issue and I expect a DL for him. Just more injury bad news for us. It's only two games, but as this story of the 2012 Red Sox unfolds for us it does not look good. Also noticed Aviles' error. Ells off to a bad start. Does anyone else have that same sickly, sinking feeling we all felt last September? Extremely bad pitching, weak hitting, a general malaise covering us? My friends, I sense a very, very, very long season ahead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": [QUOTE]Joining here late today and have not read all comments. 8-0 right now. Yes, Beckett's velocity is way down. 89-91 today, 5 homers. Not good. The thumb has to be an issue and I expect a DL for him. Just more injury bad news for us. It's only two games, but as this story of the 2012 Red Sox unfolds for us it does not look good. Also noticed Aviles' error. Ells off to a bad start. Does anyone else have that same sickly, sinking feeling we all felt last September? Extremely bad pitching, weak hitting, a general malaise covering us? My friends, I sense a very, very, very long season ahead. Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE] After what they put us through last year, both in April and Sept., there is going to be a very short leash here. 0-2 in itself is no big deal, but if it involves Beckett to the DL? Watch out. This board is going to explode, like it or not, and RSN will be in total revolt within a week or two. BV will wish he was never born, and BC will wish he was on a crab boat. I don't even want to think about how ugly it will get, but if it comes to that, I will probably avoid the forum altogether.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": After what they put us through last year, both in April and Sept., there is going to be a very short leash here. 0-2 in itself is no big deal, but if it involves Beckett to the DL? Watch out. This board is going to explode, like it or not, and RSN will be in total revolt within a week or two. BV will wish he was never born, and BC will wish he was on a crab boat. I don't even want to think about how ugly it will get, but if it comes to that, I will probably avoid the forum altogether.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Unstablederek72. Show Unstablederek72's posts

man i just got here and saw 8-0 this suxs bad, i know its only start to the season but Beckett is bad for business, i didnt think he would make an impact this early and i dont think he will later. just my opinion

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Only 160 games to go!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

To your comment Exam, I totally agree. The Nation and the Boston Media will be calling for a lot of heads being chopped off. Just imagine, a 3 and 10 start, Aviles 5 errors, Beckett on DL....geez can we convert another reliever to take his place......oh my it just goes on and on. Can't we just be competitive, finish third out of the playoffs, stay away from the radar of the Boston Media and get ready to improve for 2013!!!! of course no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Next headline "Buchholtz back goes out, DL, he'll be back in 2013"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

10-0. It is really kind of embarrassing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": [QUOTE]Next headline "Buchholtz back goes out, DL, he'll be back in 2013" Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE] Don't know about DL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he too gets off to a bad start. Then on to Toronto, who has been as hot as they come. I predict 2-4/1-5 for the home opener.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

With Doug Fister starting, I would not have guessed that Detroit pitchers would have 10 strikeouts in eight innings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Game Thread 2 : Red Sox at Tigers Beckett vs. Fister": Don't know about DL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he too gets off to a bad start. Then on to Toronto, who has been as hot as they come. I predict 2-4/1-5 for the home opener.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    1-5 would be, for this team truly a great start for our Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If you do an honest evaluation of the Sox lineup , bench and pitching staff, it becomes pretty clear that there is an awful lot of mediocrity on this roster. It is hard to picture them beating some of the better teams in the league.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]If you take an honest evaluation of the Sox lineup , bench and pitching staff, it becomes pretty clear that there is an awful lot of mediocrity on this roster. It is hard to picture them beating some of the better teams in the league.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Very well said.....and sadly, remember we have a strong tradition of playing down to the competition. Think of all the success we have had on West Coast trips to Oakland and Seattle.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mantazz. Show Mantazz's posts

Becket is totally washed up... I see this team losing about 80 games this year... no gamechanger on this team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

What's up with players knowing they're injured at the end of a season, but not telling management, , and not having needed surgery ? Then at end of spring training, saying "Oh, my thumb is hurt, I may need surgery, but I'll TRY to pitch through this year and take care of it later ?

Whatever happened to responsibility, accountability, or even just EARNING your paycheck ?
    Oh, that's right , we have a liberal, Owe-bama led nation now ; so everything is someone else's fault, and someone else's responsibility to fix.

Trade Beckett for a warm sixpack, bring up Cook and try to hang in until Dice-K is back ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Agree with the injuries, but these guys are picking up where they legt off last April.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

At least Bobby Valentine will kick them in the rear end. Whats with Becketts velocity ? He is not a number one starter anymore. I am converned about our pitching now, excluding Lester. Why cant this team hit in April? Watch Beckett go to the DL now, maybe Young Ben's decision to stand pat on pitching maybe a bad move on his part. This team needed a starter and did not get one and please I do not want to hear how Cook and Olendorf are going to save us. Would not be surprised if this team started out 0-8 this year again.