Game Thread 3: Red Sox at Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Game Thread 3: Red Sox at Yankees

Pitching to a 9 ERA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The difference tonight is the pitching matchup. Pettitte is far superior to Dempster.  Ryan just doesn't have the stuff to pitch in the A.L.   This was very predictable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Come on Dumpster...:-!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Already 3-0. Not surprising. Dumpster is going to do this all year for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Dempster has a ton of K's it is surpising he gave up 3 runs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

First mistake by Farrell. Should have walked Overbay and went after Cervelli. Percentage move.  We paid the price.

Percentages be damned.  The day Farrell has his starter pitch around Lyle Overbay in the second inning, that is the day I start to question his approach.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I haven't seen much of the game yet but Dempster hasn't looked that bad to me. Is he getting any calls? Pettite always gets everything anywhere near the plate. It's the last game of the series. The league and the umps know it's better for baseball if the Yanks don't get swept.

Sorry, I'm tainted. I think there is an ump bias in such situations. Home opening series. Flagship franchise. Etc.

I don't expect us to win this game. If we do it will be because we score a bunch of runs because Dempster is not going to get many calls IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

This game will be a good early test to see what this team is made of.  Are they content to leave the Bronx winning the series 2-1 or a they going to battle back and try to win?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Chavez had the only real hit, the Overbay two out two rbi single was a weak fly off the end of the bat, the homer was in the first row in right, an out in any other park; he's pitched better than the 3 runs indicate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

First mistake by Farrell. Should have walked Overbay and went after Cervelli. Percentage move.  We paid the price.

Percentages be damned.  The day Farrell has his starter pitch around Lyle Overbay in the second inning, that is the day I start to question his approach.  

Why ?  Overbay is lefthanded. And always more dangerous than Cervelli. What is wrong with pitching around him in any inning ?  Does Overbay have a better chance of getting a hit than Cervelli , or not ? Of course he does. And , sure enough , he did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

FWIW, I am going to wait an inning or two at the very least before I put the nail in the coffin on Dempster's foray into the AL East.  I agree with Prospects insofar as i don't think he is pitching so poorly.  And he has made his bones on battling, eating innings.  If he can lock it down for another 2 or 3 innings, a solo shot and mini-rally aren't really so egregious. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FWIW, I am going to wait an inning or two at the very least before I put the nail in the coffin on Dempster's foray into the AL East.  I agree with Prospects insofar as i don't think he is pitching so poorly.  And he has made his bones on battling, eating innings.  If he can lock it down for another 2 or 3 innings, a solo shot and mini-rally aren't really so egregious.

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why ?  Overbay is lefthanded. And always more dangerous than Cervelli. What is wrong with pitching around him in any inning ?  Does Overbay have a better chance of getting a hit than Cervelli , or not ? Of course he does. And , sure enough , he did.

Sure, but its not like Overbay is that dangerous at this stage of his career.  At this juncture of the game, I am going to not waste pitches from my starter.  There are two outs.  I don't know.  I understand your point.  I just don't think there are many managers who would issue that walk that early in the game in that situation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Ryan is around the plate, he doesn't really know the strike zone yet. If he goes 5 tonight thats great. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's a debatable point.  If you put Overbay on, a walk brings home a run.  I certainly see your point but I don't think it's a clearcut managerial decision.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

What are you talking about?  I know all i need to know by the last three innings. I mean If he were pitching a shut out through three it would mean he was going to win the Cy Young..

Right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

Hello fellow redsox fans been busy with my new grand daughter and finally got a chance to say hopefully we have excellent season this year GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!, and hopefully we can get some runs tonight

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sure, but its not like Overbay is that dangerous at this stage of his career.  At this juncture of the game, I am going to not waste pitches from my starter.  There are two outs.  I don't know.  I understand your point.  I just don't think there are many managers who would issue that walk that early in the game in that situation.

Late in the game , in that situation , I think most managers would walk Overbay and pitch to Cervelli. To me , it shouldn't matter that it is only the second inning.  The game can be lost in any inning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I'm giving Dempster a few starts before I start passing judgment. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Late in the game , in that situation , I think most managers would walk Overbay and pitch to Cervelli. To me , it shouldn't matter that it is only the second inning.  The game can be lost in any inning.

I agree.  Game can be lost anytime.  I don't agree that intentional walks/pitch arounds do not weigh differently at different junctures of the game.  I value those 4-6 pitches from my starter more than the risk of Lyle Overbay getting a hit at that juncture.  I am not dismissing your view at all.  It is valid.  i just don't agree that it doesn't matter that it was only the second inning.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

evening all...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

well i hope he settles down and gets some outs consecutively

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Not a good sign for the BP tonight...good thing the Sox have such a good one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

It just stinks we might have to go to them so early

Sections
Shortcuts