1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Game Thread 3: Red Sox at Yankees

Mario!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to xdrive's comment:

shoulda PH salty in that situation. JBJ took the first pitch right down the pipe. it was asking to be taken yard. then he swings at a pitch waaay inside?! shouldn't have even been in that position to get fleeced by the ump in the first place. should have PH salty and put the game on his shoulders.

The pitch didn't start way inside it was a typical Rivera cutter

it still shouldn't even have come to that. he gifted JBJ a pitch right down the pipe and he simply watched it. salty should have been batting for JBJ. the only taking salty would have done to that game tying pitch is take it yard.

-1 Farrel

I disagree. Great learning experience for JBJ if only for the pressure the situation brought. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

have a good evening folks, and a great Friday..

Good game. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

shoulda PH salty in that situation. JBJ took the first pitch right down the pipe. it was asking to be taken yard. then he swings at a pitch waaay inside?! shouldn't have even been in that position to get fleeced by the ump in the first place. should have PH salty and put the game on his shoulders.

it still shouldn't even have come to that. he gifted JBJ a pitch right down the pipe and he simply watched it. salty should have been batting for JBJ. the only taking salty would have done to that game tying pitch is take it yard.

-1 Farrel

I'll take my chances with Bradley rather than Salty. Rivera is going to be tough on anyone , especially when the strike zone widens.

not in that situation. Salty was our best clutch hitter (as well and late&close) last season. we needed a HR to tie the game up. Salty is a much better slugger than JBJ.  if that's the case then i go with Salt over JBJ every day.

I have no idea what Salty's stats versus Rivera may be , but I would be surprised if he ever had a hit , much less a home run.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Oh & I take back that comment about Dempsters pitch on Gardner's HR. It WAS sort of an over the plate meatball Now that I got a second look. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bradley ; welcome to Mariano's " special " strike zone. 

Got that right. And Andy does also. Been watching it forever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

-1 Farrel

I'll take my chances with Bradley rather than Salty. Rivera is going to be tough on anyone , especially when the strike zone widens.

not in that situation. Salty was our best clutch hitter (as well and late&close) last season. we needed a HR to tie the game up. Salty is a much better slugger than JBJ.  if that's the case then i go with Salt over JBJ every day.

I have no idea what Salty's stats versus Rivera may be , but I would be surprised if he ever had a hit , much less a home run.

Salty is 0-3 against the sandman. with a .250OBP against him. So take from that what you will. i'd still want our best clutch hitter from last season up at the plate in a situation that calls for a power stroke. Especially when the alternative is a rookie with little pop. No matter how much i like JBJ, put the burden on Salty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

That last pitch was very close; either it just scraped the corner or just missed. Admittedly, Mariano gets that call 90% of the time. However, I do recall Schilling getting favorable calls as well way back when.

Both use(d) this fact to their advantage.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

That last pitch was very close; either it just scraped the corner or just missed. Admittedly, Mariano gets that call 90% of the time. However, I do recall Schilling getting favorable calls as well way back when.

Not to mention Maddux and Glavine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Not to mention Maddux and Glavine.

Yes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

its pretty obvious that farrell did not want to pinch hit for bradley jr for multiple reasons. 1) it shows that he has confidence in jbj by letting him face rivera 2) jbj needs to experience hitting in high pressure situations so he can be more prepared when facing them. He learned the hard way tonight that the strikezone is much wider when rivera is on the mound. glad we took 2 of 3 from the yankees. still not sold on dempster though. 3 runs in 5 innings is pretty weak given how bad the yankees line up is. even more so allowing a 2 rbi single to overbay and a homer to gardner is down right bad. makes you wonder how much he will struggle against good teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

its pretty obvious that farrell did not want to pinch hit for bradley jr for multiple reasons. 1) it shows that he has confidence in jbj by letting him face rivera 2) jbj needs to experience hitting in high pressure situations so he can be more prepared when facing them. He learned the hard way tonight that the strikezone is much wider when rivera is on the mound. glad we took 2 of 3 from the yankees. still not sold on dempster though. 3 runs in 5 innings is pretty weak given how bad the yankees line up is. even more so allowing a 2 rbi single to overbay and a homer to gardner is down right bad. makes you wonder how much he will struggle against good teams.

Agree.  A small sample size but we have to hope that Dempster is better the next time he pitches. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

2) jbj needs to experience hitting in high pressure situations so he can be more prepared when facing them.

you never can tell, down the road he could wind up winning a couple of those..even against the upper tier closers..   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

he really didn't make many bad pitches though, the gardener Hr was one. but other than that the Yankees were taking pitches way out of the zone and turning them into good hits. the Overbay double was in the other batters box! Cervellis HR was on a ball that was eye level. Plus he was getting squeezed big time and still had 6Ks. Not bad for his first time out IMO. If he pitches the way he did last night every time he goes out he will be just fine. The results were just not what we wanted..... it's not every day that the other team takes your junk pitches that are a mile out of the zone and score runs off of them.