Mauer C
    Willingham LF
    Morneau 1B
    Plouffe 3B
    Doumit DH
    Arcia RF
    Hicks CF
    Florimon SS
    Pitching: RHP Kevin Correia (3-1, 2.23).

Game time: 7:10 p.m.

TV/radio: NESN/WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Game thread 35: Twins at Red Sox

Offense clicking, Twins eye series win vs. Red Sox

Boston looks for Lackey to provide length after bullpen roughed up

By A.J. Cassavell / MLB.com

5/8/2013 11:36 PM ET

@thumbnail.alt@

All season long, offense has eluded the Twins -- then they hung 15 runs on the Red Sox on Wednesday night.

When the two clubs meet again in the finale of a four-game set on Thursday, Minnesota will be hoping it didn't use up too much of its pop in one night.

The suddenly revived Twins offense faces John Lackey, who will be making his third start since he returned from the disabled list. Lackey threw 98 pitches in Saturday's 5-1 loss to the Rangers, a big jump from the 81 he had thrown in his previous outing, which was his first since sustaining a right biceps injury.

"I got my pitch count up, so hopefully next start will be pretty much normal," Lackey said. "It's not all the way there, but a few more starts. I like where it's heading."

If there was ever a time for Lackey to work deep into a ballgame, the Sox are hoping it's Thursday. Allen Webster lasted just 1 2/3 innings on Wednesday, and although Felix Doubront cleaned up most of the bullpen mess by going 5 1/3 frames, Boston could really use some length.

Opposite Lackey will be Minnesota right-hander Kevin Correia, who has been arguably the club's most consistent starter this season. However, Correia is coming off his worst outing of the year in Cleveland, where he allowed four runs during five frames in a 7-3 loss to the Indians on Saturday. It marked the first time this season he did not finish the seventh inning.

"I just didn't have command of my pitches like I did in my last couple starts," said Correia, who fell to 3-2 with a 2.83 ERA. "I fell behind guys, and they took advantage."

Correia will have to contend with Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz, who has been one of the league's hottest hitters all year. Ortiz had a 27-game hitting streak -- tied for the sixth longest in Boston franchise history -- snapped on Wednesday with an 0-for-5, two-strikeout night.

Minnesota will be looking to take three of four at Fenway Park for the second consecutive season.

Twins: Carroll a veteran presence
    Minnesota infielder Jamey Carroll has seen his playing time decrease this season, but it hasn't altered the way he plays the game.

"He just goes out there and gets it done," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He handles the bat very well. He's very competitive, so it's nice to move him around."

Carroll, a 12-year veteran, started at shortstop on Wednesday for the first time this season. He went 1-for-5 with two runs scored and is now hitting .263.

Red Sox: Ross, Middlebrooks recovering
    Catcher David Ross and third baseman Will Middlebrooks are still feeling the effects of a collision in foul territory Tuesday night. Their status is in doubt for Thursday's series finale.

Ross (left quad contusion) is hopeful he'll be back in the lineup by the weekend. The club is still waiting on MRI results on Middlebrooks' injury.

"Will has got some soreness on the right side of the ribcage," manager John Farrell said. "He just did get an MRI this afternoon. We don't have the results of that back yet. We do know through the imaging and the tests last night there was no fractures of any kind, so that's checked out. He's sore. He's day to day."

Worth noting
    • Twins catcher Joe Mauer is hitting .435 with a pair of homers in his career against Lackey.

• Mauer is one double shying of tying Torii Hunter for sixth all-time in franchise history at 259. First baseman Justin Morneau is fifth at 264.

• In 14 career at-bats against Correia, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino has notched six hits -- including one home run.

• The Twins haven't won a season series against the Red Sox since 2006. The two clubs will meet three more times this season after Thursday's game.

A.J. Cassavell is a reporter for MLB.com Follow him on Twitter @ajcassavell. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

© MLBAM, L.P. 2001-2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Farrell said Hanrahan pitching again this year is "a possibility." Appt with Andrews is tomorrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Tommy John "can't be ruled out." Might need surgery even if it isn't Tommy John.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, here is where we see what the new John lackey is made of.  This club needs a pick-up.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Emp9, you might want to find some other writers to trot out.  Ross and Middlebrooks are both playing tonight, and Cassavell is an idiot.

I like this year's Lackey so far.  I will be happy if he goes six effective innings, preferably no more than 2 runs. 

Interesting that against a righty starter Farrell is only going with five lefty bats--Ellsbury, Victorino, Ortiz, Nava, and Drew.  The sixth would have been Salty, but he caught for 3 1/2 hours last night.  In any case, I like this particular lineup.  Our best defense (without Iglesias or Bradley) and a decent offense.  The only truly suspect hitter in this lineup is Middlebrooks, but I agree with the notion they keep playing him with occasional days off. 

Ross and Middlebrooks had that collion two nights ago, but it was for the right reason--they were both risking their necks and hustling to get that foul pop, and Middlebrooks hung onto it. 

All of these guys are very much worth rooting for even though softlaw will of course root against them because he didn't handpick each and every one.

How's the weather looking?  I'm in Springfield, VA. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Duly noted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

First pitch is on time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Victorino is so money this year.  Forcing the issue on the double with two outs.  now its 1-0.  Love it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Winning this game and taking two of three from Toronto would get this team back on track I think.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Victorino's aggressiveness on 2B allowed him to score on Pedroia single.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

More aggressive at bats tonight. Good to see. The team philosophy is to work the count , but sometimes you have to change that up a bit. You do not want to always be batting with two strikes on you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Things are getting ugly for softy and Andrewmitch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

I have always hated lackey and he just shows me why

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Boy, great D in this inning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

Well knew it wouldnt be too long b4 lackey caved

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

This is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooong year boys!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

In response to jozee76's comment:

really agree....i was just saying wow lackey is doing great last 5 innings....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

How do you miss that tag? Why do they do that stupid "swipe" thing? Just put the ball down there and hold it. Meanwhile, GAME OVER. Losing teams find a way to lose dont they? This team is toast. Pack it in people, gonna be a long summer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to 1972SoxFan4eva's comment:

Well, but it was the throwing error that was his undoing--which had nothing to do with his pitching. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Poor effort by Ross!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to 1972SoxFan4eva's comment:

Well, but it was the throwing error that was his undoing--which had nothing to do with his pitching. 

VERY true!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....and the ridiculous "swipe" by Ross. If hed done that right the inning would have been over then and there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

And meanwhile the Sox cant score against mediocre pitching in spite of that disaster yesterday...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

That was too close to call whether he tagged him or not so I can't believe the 86 year old umpire could tell, the beat him by a mile imo he was out