Game Thread 4/16 vs. Blue Jays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Game Thread 4/16 vs. Blue Jays

Lowrie is slower than a turtle, is weak from the left side hitting, has a slow throwing release and marginal velocity on his throws, weak fielding range at SS.

He's been extremely strong from the left side over 2010 and 2011.  Ignoring the numbers don't make them disappear from BR.  They are still there for anyone to see, including you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread 4/16 vs. Blue Jays:
    [QUOTE]2010 v RHP BA .250 OBP .353 SLG .470 OPS  .823 2010 v RHP BA .625 OBP .700 SLG .625 OPS 1.325 Which line is it Joe?
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

The bottom one was 2011.  It should have been self-evident since even Lowrie is unlikely to have a 1.325 OPS.  Still, my mistake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Also, Joe, what is the sample size?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett was the key. good defense too. everyone have a good night. Lester tomorrow, dare i say two in a row??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

It looks like your boy Beckett might actually have one of his 'good' years.

Sorry to see that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Big time kudo's to Beckett, Lowrie, AND especially Francona for finally seeing the light on starting/playing Lowrie.  One small step for the Red Sox and the Red Sox Nation, and one GIANT step for Francona for starting/playing Lowrie.  Any bets that Francona benches Lowrie on Sunday and/or Monday?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK, Beckett is looking good.  Now we need Buck to get it together - and fast!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Guys, I think I've discovered the secret ... I didn't see a single pitch of today's game. I promise not to watch tomorrow, either. Maybe we're on to something.

And Joel, I'm totally on board with Lowrie every day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Dobbs - don't do that.  At least listen on the radio???

Do you know how to do that via streaming??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe "Schumpeters-Ghost" was being sarcastic; Drew didn't get a hit, but like the BaseballGM sez, Cameron was 2 for 4, not to mention two fine catches at the end. If the Ghost isn't pulling our legs, then I dunno if he can be taken seriously; what else do people want Cameron to do as an off-the-bencher who kills lefties -- go 5 for 5 AND play everybody else's outfield positions simultaneously?  "Yeah, let's get rid of Cam...he stinks, blah blah blah."  Ha.
    Posted by takavl[/QUOTE]

Here come the Cameron supporters!  These are the same people who were telling us Cam was good for 25 - 30 HRs last year.

What are you fired up over Cam's singles today?

Officially as a Red Sox player - Cameron has MORE Ks than hits.  And that is despite his stellar 2 - 4 today (get out your all star ballots!)

He is an old broken down, injury prone, strike out machine who prevents young players from getting their chance.  He has no upside.

Cameron will bat .220 with more strikeouts than hits.  While young OFs, who still have a chance to actualy improve, will languish down in Pawtucket.

Cameron and Drew - send them packing.  I'll never understand the obsession with over-paid, low impact, aging outfielders - but the Sox have a bad case of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Also, Joe, what is the sample size?
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Like i told you when you first brought up this sillyness, you were bashing a player for 328 ABs, about 1/2 a rookie, injury-riddled season.

I told you your sample size was too small to have any meaning.  Now that he is killing the ball, I understand your concern about SSS.  But it would've been smarter not to have made that mistake in the first place.

Sorry, if 328 ABs is enough to judge a player being bad, then 188 is enough to judge him being good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Lowrie energizes the team and this GM clown finds a way to put him down.

Kinda like that other clown..."Soft" something or other.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Andrew: I don't. Technology and I don't get along too well!
    Is it hard?
    Also, I heard about an app I can download on my phone that allows me to hear radio coverage.
    But no, I'm supersticious, but I'm not that bad. I'll still tune in!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie energizes the team and this GM clown finds a way to put him down. Kinda like that other clown ..." Soft" something or other.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Meet Softball GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread 4/16 vs. Blue Jays : Meet Softball GM.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Now that's funny Halifax.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lowrie gets a bad rap for his defense; this started from his projections as a prospect.  Scouts over the years though have also stated that they were impressed at how well his defense improved throughout the Sox system over the past several years.  He's been touted to have "average" range, which in my book.....means average not bad.  Originally Lowrie had accuracy issues that he has also improved upon.

Now I'm not trying to nominate Lowrie for a gold glove here, I'll be the first to admit his defense is his weak point, but because of his past he has a much worse reputation that his play reflects today.  He is a very serviceable major league SS.  

With that in mind Lowrie should have a legitimate shot at taking over a larger role at SS if he continues to hit at the MLB level.  At one point when he was regarded a top prospect he was well known for hitting constantly from both sides of the plate.  So I will not be surprised if his LHP RHP splits even out over the long run.  They say he has gap power, but I can see him hitting 15-20 a year at Fenway; Lowrie will also add batting average to those numbers as well. 

Personally I'm always a "what have you done for me lately" type of guy, and Scutaro isn't exactly a 29 year old getting paid 20 million a year, and with this team struggling I believe giving Lowrie a larger role is a viable solution right now.  Also if Lowrie continues to hit as well has he's shown us the past 3 months (going into last season) his trade value would much higher when the time comes to bring up Iglesias

Sections
Shortcuts