Game Thread 4/18 Jays vs. Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Game Thread 4/18 Jays vs. Sox

Meow Meow! Meow Meow!=translation=Go Sox! Go Matsuzaka!

RED SOX (4-10)
    Drew RF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Youkilis 3B
    Ortiz DH
    Lowrie SS
    Crawford LF
    Varitek C
    Ellsbury CF

Pitching: RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka (0-2, 12.86)

BLUE JAYS (7-8)
    Escobar SS
    Patterson CF
    Bautista RF
    Lind 1B
    Hill 2B
    Arencibia C
    Snider LF
    Encarnacion DH
    Nix 3B

Pitching: LHP Ricky Romero (1-1, 1.66)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Re: Game Thread 4/18 Jays vs. Sox

Boston Herald:

PATS’ DAY HISTORY: Since 1969, the Red Sox have held morning games to coincide with the Marathon. Interestingly, they dropped their first seven Patriots’ Day games before finally earning a 2-0 victory over the Twins in 1976 behind a complete-game performance by Ferguson Jenkins. The Red Sox are 18-22 on Marathon Monday, including last season when they had a six-game Patriots’ Day winning streak snapped by the Rays. They were rained out in 1984, and in 1995, the Patriots’ Day game was wiped out by the MLB labor dispute. The Blue Jays have been the opponent four times on Patriots’ Day, winning three times. In 1982, they defeated the Red Sox, 6-4, behind three solo homers. In 1992, they scored a 6-4 win in a 13-inning game that lasted 4 hours, 12 minutes. In 2003, the Jays hit four home runs in an 11-6 victory. Finally, in 2005, the Red Sox took a 9-1 lead en route to a 12-7 victory in which Manny Ramirez woke up early to hit two homers and collect five RBIs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Rickey Romero (as well as Kyle Draybek) are great pitchers. 

But I think Boston will win 4-3 today. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember seeing a Blue Jays game vs. the Red Sox in 1986.  Roger Clemens was 14-0 and had his first loss of the season.

Then in 1997, my father and I saw Clemens' Blue Jays debut.  It was so strange to see him in a Blue-colored uniform. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

NESN:

Well, there's a new look to it today and plenty to analyze. Let's first look at the matchups.

Terry Francona admitted that he looked at several scenarios when trying to determine who to bat leadoff.

Carl Crawford has been killing the team in that spot, going 3-for-32 with zero walks. Jed Lowrie had a good game in the top spot on Saturday, but moving him down in the order gives him a chance to drive in some runs and breaks up what would've been a run of lefties (if Lowrie was leading off and J.D. Drew was hitting sixth). Certainly, Jacoby Ellsbury had to be considered.

With Drew, Francona has someone he thinks can, at the very least, give a longer at-bat to start the game. He knows how to draw a walk or at least get to a three-ball count, something Crawford has done none of. Plus, Drew is 9-for-20 with four walks against Blue Jays starter Ricky Romero.

"We're just trying to get some guys on base and find some balance," Francona said.

As for the Lowrie-Marco Scutaro situation, I'm not sure if there is absolute swap. Not only is Lowrie hot, but we all know his propensity to hit lefties, so Francona will ride that wave until he sees reason to stop. That reason could come in the fact that Lowrie is not the defender that Scutaro is. Look for Marco to be in there a bit more on the road trip, with Lowrie getting starts against lefties and perhaps a turn or two at DH or 3B.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Crawford is 3 for 32 with zero walks as a lead-off guy? 

Damn,.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Let's win 3 out of 4 from the Jays!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

That's one of the worst batting orders I've seen. Drew leading off? Not so fast Vtek sandwiched in-between the fastest players on the team? Ughh...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xorsed. Show xorsed's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread 4/18 Jays vs. Sox:
    [QUOTE]Varitek should start this game, Lefty pitching, time to get Dice-K's head in the game. Veteran presence is needed.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Varitek is starting. Did you not notice that or are you just agreeing with the lineup?

Go Red Sox!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

emp drew is leading off due to great numbers against romero and ability to get on base. wanted to drop crawford down due to his continued struggles.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dang it Fireballer, just when I wanted to continue dismissing your negative, trifling nonsense, you post this picture of, assumedly, your awesome fat tabby decked out in a sox tee ...  I love you man!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from T-B-S-H-B-T. Show T-B-S-H-B-T's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread 4/18 Jays vs. Sox:
    [QUOTE]Dang it Fireballer, just when I wanted to continue dismissing your negative, trifling nonsense, you post this picture of, assumedly, your awesome fat tabby decked out in a sox tee ...  I love you man!!!!

Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

The cat doesn't really look too thrilled about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

too many fastballs!  They're gonna get on that! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

point taken

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Told ya Dice-K is awesome!  My favorite pitcher today.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dice looks good.  nice start anyway.  dirtdog, yes, a lot of fastballs, but i am glad to see him establishing it.  This will keep him focused on throwing strikes and allow him to use his other pitches to really get the Jays off-balance.  They, of course, will be looking fastball now.  This is where Dice can be succesful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

drew ....lead off triple   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I think you're probably right on that line of thinking!  So long as he locates, & then starts mixing.  Good call :)

BTW.....  Did I tell you J.D. was the perfect leadoff guy????  NO????  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nice at bat Pedey!  OK,  lets jump on Ricky early.  Its a must!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

3 cheers for Opposite Day! Undecided

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

ack.  tough out pitch on Gonzo.  Ricky is nasty.