Game thread 65: Red Sox at Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Game thread 65: Red Sox at Rays

In response to crix's comment:

Sorry, but avoiding the humiliation of losing after squandering a 6 run lead then a 2 run lead, taxing the bullpen through 14 innings does not make for a "great win."  We will praise the pitching staff on the nights when they can hold such leads with 8 runs of support, when Bailey can record 3 outs without walking the bases loaded - but not last night. 

The point is there are 162 games in a season and some of them get ugly.  People come in here and treat a guy who's been good all year like a bum because he's had one bad night.  If we always judged players based on one game then I'm sure at one point there were fans calling Ted Williams the worst player out there.

You win games like last night you make it to the playoff period! This is the game we lose last year and that's the difference.  I understand that you can't blow a 6 run lead either but it happens.  Even MO doesn't close out games.....IT HAPPENS

14 innings was taxing to the bullpen but it would have been in vein if they lost, and with the ya kees off and tampa bay not far behind it was a very important game.  so yes it was a GREAT WIN.  Excuse me for being a positive Peter......you can now go back to drinking your half empty cup of coffee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Two great defensive plays by Pedroia!!!   Laughing

Boston is 7-1 vs. the Rays this season!!!  Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Sorry, but avoiding the humiliation of losing after squandering a 6 run lead then a 2 run lead, taxing the bullpen through 14 innings does not make for a "great win."  We will praise the pitching staff on the nights when they can hold such leads with 8 runs of support, when Bailey can record 3 outs without walking the bases loaded - but not last night. 

A win is a win, man.  All pitchers have bad games.  The main thing is we're 40-25 and winning games against the better teams.    

Not upset about the win.  Just would'nt call it a "great game" when your staff squanders a huge lead, then another lead.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

The point is there are 162 games in a season and some of them get ugly.  People come in here and treat a guy who's been good all year like a bum because he's had one bad night.  If we always judged players based on one game then I'm sure at one point there were fans calling Ted Williams the worst player out there.

You win games like last night you make it to the playoff period! This is the game we lose last year and that's the difference.  I understand that you can't blow a 6 run lead either but it happens.  Even MO doesn't close out games.....IT HAPPENS

14 innings was taxing to the bullpen but it would have been in vein if they lost, and with the ya kees off and tampa bay not far behind it was a very important game.  so yes it was a GREAT WIN.  Excuse me for being a positive Peter......you can now go back to drinking your half empty cup of coffee.

Everyone can have their own perspective about what makes a "great game."  In my opinion, when your team squanders a huge lead, your closer walks the planet and squanders a second lead and your bullpen uncessarily gets taxed, the fact that your offense has to bail them out multiple times doesn't make it "great."  It only saves them the humiliation of losing after the game was theirs to take multiple times.  What the pitching staff did in previous games is irrelevant when you're analyzing a single game.  It was an incredibly frustrating game to watch, an when the end came it was more of a relief of averting a humiliation rather than a celebration of a great win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It was a great game (takes sip from half full cup of coffee)

It was a win against a divisional opponent

we gained on our lead against the Yankees and the Rays

It was a frustrating day, and it would have been much more frustrating if they lost.

in 162 games sometimes your closer blows the game and sometimes some of your best starters don't have their best stuff.

Very often a team like the Rays gains momentum and wins that game.  As frustrating as it was when obviously your pitchers didn't have their best stuff and the lineup gets shutdown after the first inning it has to feel good to FINALLY be able to find a way to win that game.

If you want to say it wasn't a pretty game, I'd agree with you.  But it was a GOOD win, because you have to win the ugly games.  I've been a pro-athlete, and I've also played in a team environment (though not on a pro level)  One thing that has stuck with me my whole life that one of my coaches said to me was this: "how you perform on your worst day will reflect how good you are when you are at your best"

Think about that statement and now think about the difference between last years team and this years team.  Last year, the Boston Red Sox lose last night; this year they win that kinda game.

So in the larger scheme of things, I consider last night a great win because as ugly as it was it reflects on the kinda season this team is having....it was a GREAT WIN!.

Now my cup is empty...so I'm going to fill it back up..FULL

"How well you perform on your worst day, reflects on how good you're at your best"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Two great defensive plays by Pedroia!!!   Laughing

Boston is 7-1 vs. the Rays this season!!!  Cool

It's alway good to win those divisional games.  They are the most improtant games played in the regular season; so every win against Toronto, NY, Baltimore and the Rays is a GOOD one. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It was a great game (takes sip from half full cup of coffee)

It was a win against a divisional opponent

we gained on our lead against the Yankees and the Rays

It was a frustrating day, and it would have been much more frustrating if they lost.

in 162 games sometimes your closer blows the game and sometimes some of your best starters don't have their best stuff.

Very often a team like the Rays gains momentum and wins that game.  As frustrating as it was when obviously your pitchers didn't have their best stuff and the lineup gets shutdown after the first inning it has to feel good to FINALLY be able to find a way to win that game.

If you want to say it wasn't a pretty game, I'd agree with you.  But it was a GOOD win, because you have to win the ugly games.  I've been a pro-athlete, and I've also played in a team environment (though not on a pro level)  One thing that has stuck with me my whole life that one of my coaches said to me was this: "how you perform on your worst day will reflect how good you are when you are at your best"

Think about that statement and now think about the difference between last years team and this years team.  Last year, the Boston Red Sox lose last night; this year they win that kinda game.

So in the larger scheme of things, I consider last night a great win because as ugly as it was it reflects on the kinda season this team is having....it was a GREAT WIN!.

Now my cup is empty...so I'm going to fill it back up..FULL

"How well you perform on your worst day, reflects on how good you're at your best"

I'm just ticked that I was asleep when it ended and had to watch the rest this morning.

It was a good game because Pedey made two spectacular defensive plays, not to mention the 4-2-3 double play he started in the 11th.

You don't see plays like that every day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Crix, I see your point regarding whether it was a "great" win. I prefer to think of it as a "character win." When the Rays finally tied it in the 8th, I had very little doubt the Sox were done. When Longoria came up in the bottom of the 10th with the score tied, the bases loaded, and nobody out, I had zero doubt.

But thanks to a gutty effort by several -- Victorino taking the extra base, Pedey's two web gems, Navy's big hit, Salty going 4-for-7 and catching all 14, and Uehara and Morales bouncing back from brutal outings -- the Sox pulled it out.

Sure, with a six-run first, none of the above should have been necessary. But the Sox easily could have blown that one last night.

Definitely a character win.

Sections
Shortcuts