Game thread 66: Red Sox at Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Game thread 66: Red Sox at Rays

the ignorance of john farrell and co is beyond frustating, stephen drew starting at short, middlebrooks on the bench 2 games into his call up, when are they going to realize that drew belongs on the bench? iggy has far out performed him and i would much rather have middlebrooks starting over drew. drew is batting .229 and yet we keep starting him. same problem with the pen, guys like miller and mortenson struggled everytime out, yet we keep going back to them over and over again expecting different results. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Drew - the Human Out or, if you prefer, the Out Waiting to Happen, strikes out - no big shock there.  So, for the game, he's been to the plate twice, resulting in 3 outs - no big shock there.  So why is he in our line-up?  For his defense?  We don't have another guy who can play SS defensively at least as well as Drew if not better?  I guess this is one of life's little mysteries.

On the upside - Lester actually got a lead-off hitter out!  Good times indeed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Part of the trouble with us fans is that we keep buying into the hype that Lester is an ace, and keep getting disappointed when we see games like this. Hes not an ace, never has been. Hes a number 3 starter at best, lower your expectations. Hes a great guy, I love his story, but the guy is not a number one pitcher. Thats just it.

I don't see him as worse than a number two. He stats screams number two, his periodic domination screams number two and his stuff is screams number. Number two would be aces if they didn't have bad stretches.

[/QUOTE]

His stuff sucks #3-4. It screams nothing. Coming into this game in his last NINE starts his ERA was 4.42. Its worse now.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have a curve ball tonight. His fastball has been fine. He is a number two he is going to win 15+ games and probably finish with a 3.50 ERA that is a number two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

What? Jon Lester give up a two out run? That never happens, thats "so unlike Lester!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester's ERA is 3.90 right now. How will the team do this year if Lester stinks? Well guess what: Lester stinks.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

His career ERA is 3.75.

He also averages 15 wins a year. He is on pace for 15 wins  this year.

This is exactly the kind of season one expects from Lester. this is his 8th year in baseball, not sure whats so surprising.

[/QUOTE]

I could not care less what his career numbers are. He was great from 2008 to 2011. He has stunk for the last two years, including this one. He is barely a #3 SP; more like a #4.

[/QUOTE]

But he has been pretty good this year. So he had one bad season and a couple bads starts in a row. That is not a number 4 that is clearly a number 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

the ignorance of john farrell and co is beyond frustating, stephen drew starting at short, middlebrooks on the bench 2 games into his call up, when are they going to realize that drew belongs on the bench? iggy has far out performed him and i would much rather have middlebrooks starting over drew. drew is batting .229 and yet we keep starting him. same problem with the pen, guys like miller and mortenson struggled everytime out, yet we keep going back to them over and over again expecting different results. 

Drew is better than all but 4 of starting SS in the American League. He has performed light years ahead of Middlebrooks.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

Part of the trouble with us fans is that we keep buying into the hype that Lester is an ace, and keep getting disappointed when we see games like this. Hes not an ace, never has been. Hes a number 3 starter at best, lower your expectations. Hes a great guy, I love his story, but the guy is not a number one pitcher. Thats just it.

I don't know anyone that thinks Lester is an ace.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Just every sports broadcaster and announcer that ever calls a nationally televised Red Sox game, or that comments on it before/during/afterwards. Ive heard it more times than I can count. Lester getting rocked? "This is so unlike him....". No, its not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox needed ace performance tonight to save bullpen.  Instead they get last year's Lester.  That one SUCKS!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew is better than all but 4 of starting SS in the American League. He has performed light years ahead of Middlebrooks.

[/QUOTE]

How so?  And name the ones that have either worse defensive stats and offensive stats.  If you're correct, and I don't believe you are, but if you are - ask yourself this:  This is the Boston Red Sox - we're paying 9M for a guy that is, via the eye-ball test okay defensively and dreadful by any offensive statistic.  Is that the best we can do?  He's the SS equal of Jon Lester - lot's of potential perhaps, but for two years - nada - mediocrity.  Sounds like he should be playing for a weak National League team or perhaps Houston.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't see him as worse than a number two. He stats screams number two, his periodic domination screams number two and his stuff is screams number. Number two would be aces if they didn't have bad stretches.

[/QUOTE]

His stuff sucks #3-4. It screams nothing. Coming into this game in his last NINE starts his ERA was 4.42. Its worse now.

[/QUOTE]

He averages 15 wins a game. He is on pace for 15 wins.

He is a 2 and he is pitching badly tonight. Nothing really to get all freaked out about.

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't pitched well in his last 4-5 starts.

[/QUOTE]

This makes TEN poor starts

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW, dont look for a repeat performance of Aceves' Philadelphia win tommorow either. If theres no comeback tonight, we just might lose this series, and thats a shame.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He averages 15 wins a game. He is on pace for 15 wins.

He is a 2 and he is pitching badly tonight. Nothing really to get all freaked out about.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but what's he done since 1 September 2011?  Because, per my recollection, and perhaps I'm off point, he (and other starters) stunk it up in September 2011, stunk it up for the entirity of 2012, and although he has a decent record this year - hasn't done anything to write home about (except lose) for his last three starts.  So he's not just pitching badly tonight - for over a year he's been woefully mediocre given his supposed talent.  So at what point do we presume he's past his peak and on a downward trend?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lester laying a big egg tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Game over!  Thank you big Jon!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Lester:  95 pitches, 46 balls - 7 walks - 7 earned runs - 78 pouts, 52 glare-at-the-umpires after throwing a ball - 2 (that I can remember) - hacking up a meatball on an 0-2 count, a few bombs, and 1 couldn't man-up and save the bullpen.  Yup, no reason for concern here - move along!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Hey! Whatayaknow? A two out run scored on Jon Lester! 

Andrewmitch---J.D. Drew

Georom--Josh Beckett

Examiner--Jon Lester

Its on, Ive more than had it. This guy is a big time head case, and you cannot win with those guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Lester:  95 pitches, 46 balls - 7 walks - 7 earned runs - 78 pouts, 52 glare-at-the-umpires after throwing a ball - 2 (that I can remember) - hacking up a meatball on an 0-2 count, a few bombs, and 1 couldn't man-up and save the bullpen.  Yup, no reason for concern here - move along!

This post should be bronzed. Tells the tale succinctly and accurately as can be said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think Lester has to go on the DL after this something hasn't to be wrong. He was just too dominate this season to be this bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lots of people here have been razzing me for getting on Lester. More will believe me now. And its because of Lester that we are a .500 team

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Now thats a good post!!haha

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think Lester has to go on the DL after this something hasn't to be wrong. He was just too dominate this season to be this bad.

I have my doubts about an injury, but we'll see. More likely hes just a head case, this is what guys like that do. Hes done it for years, whats new?