Game Thread 70: Red Sox at Orioles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Game Thread 70: Red Sox at Orioles

In response to joel49's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Buchholz won't start Tuesday. Sounds like DL is likely.

Buchholtz's fragility is a major factor in where this team will end up this year. Great pitcher when he is healthy, but he, like Ellsbury, is a Man of Glass.

The whole Ells is like glass thing is ludicrous.  His two major injuries were woppers, Beltre running in to him like a truck and his shoulder being crushed on a slide.  Nobody survives those two incidents intact.

I've shown Pumpsie the numbers.  He chooses to ignore them.  It's kind of like suggesting that Granderson is injury-prone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

THROW STRIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Lets close this out Bros....need the win....then on to the Bruins.

Bobby, most of the gamethreaders have gone over to a live chat, mef set up for BDC posters. You're more than welcome, as is everyone

http://www.chatzy.com/77965231706969

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Here we go with Andrew "Full Pack" Bailey. Does this guy stink. I have no confidence when this guy comes in to save a game. He has put a thrill back into the save situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

All Iglesias does at present is get hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

Who among us thought he would have the teams longest hitting streak? Not me

Who'd have figured that Papi would be 3rd in triples on the team?

Or tied for 4th on the team in SBs?

The world has gone mad so just go with the flow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1972SoxFan4eva. Show 1972SoxFan4eva's posts

Is this idiot our closer?!

When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important then the name on the back. ----Boston.com member since 2003----

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This guy scares me. WOW!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Man, I will tkae this win, and buy everyone BEERS!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bonehead move by Castillo saved us there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Great ending

"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Time to move Bailey back to set up guy.  Let Uehara close for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Haha, bet Buck Naked loved that one! Meanwhile: Andrew Bailey. Brinkmanship is a dangerous game, and he plays it often. Wont work in the ALE. cant do it here. Just a matter of time.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Even if they DL him, hed only be out 5-6 more days from Tuesday. In other words, hed be eligible next weekend. Not a huge deal, especially as well as Aceves has been filling in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Why?

Because Bailey has had two bad games the entire year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Haha, bet Buck Naked loved that one! Meanwhile: Andrew Bailey. Brinkmanship is a dangerous game, and he plays it often. Wont work in the ALE. cant do it here. Just a matter of time.......

May be a good idea to know how many outs there are, no?? Talk about getting run out of an inning

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We caught a big break there. Confidence level in Bailey is not too high right now. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Buchholtz's fragility is a major factor in where this team will end up this year. Great pitcher when he is healthy, but he, like Ellsbury, is a Man of Glass.

The whole Ells is like glass thing is ludicrous.  His two major injuries were woppers, Beltre running in to him like a truck and his shoulder being crushed on a slide.  Nobody survives those two incidents intact.

I've shown Pumpsie the numbers.  He chooses to ignore them.  It's kind of like suggesting that Granderson is injury-prone.

Here is a number for you to digest: 44%. Thats the percentage of games Ellsbury had missed since 2011 of the total number of games the Sox played. Regardless of the reason, thats a lot. No doubt you will disregard this number too, but its a fact. Some of the injuries were unavoidable and others are likely due to Ellsbury's refusal to play if he is not completely healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Even if they DL him, hed only be out 5-6 more days from Tuesday. In other words, hed be eligible next weekend. Not a huge deal, especially as well as Aceves has been filling in.

Eligible next weekend does not mean that he will pitch next weekend. Like Ellsbury, the FACT is that Buchholtz tends to miss a lot of time nearly every year. This year will likely be no different.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Uehara can't do it. He would fall apart. Look at him. What does he weigh? 120 lbs? We are stuck with Bailey.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Napoli has been sent back to Boston for tests. Still feeling some dizziness. Concussion has been considered and ruled out.

Vertigo! Sounds a lot like the symptoms Nick Esasky had.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Here is a number for you to digest: 44%. Thats the percentage of games Ellsbury had missed since 2011 of the total number of games the Sox played. 

Granderson has missed 59 of 67 games played this year. That's 90%.  Does that make him fragile?

Greinke has missed 6 of 14 starts this year.  Is he fragile?

Take my medical advice and try to separate recurring and chronic issues from one-off collision type of injuries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here is a number for you to digest: 44%. Thats the percentage of games Ellsbury had missed since 2011 of the total number of games the Sox played. 

Granderson has missed 59 of 67 games played this year. That's 90%.  Does that make him fragile?

Take my medical advice and try to separate recurring and chronic issues from one-off collision type of injuries.

Ellsbury's injury history goes back more than one year. Its obvious that players may suffer a single injury or two that costs a lot of games, but Ellsbury has had a lot of them. Some guys play and give the team what they can when they are injured (such as Pedroia and WMB); others sit. Ellsbury sits.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ellsbury's injury history goes back more than one year. Its obvious that players may suffer a single injury or two that costs a lot of games, but Ellsbury has had a lot of them. Some guys play and give the team what they can when they are injured (such as Pedroia and WMB); others sit. Ellsbury sits.

You're missing two key concepts.

1-In 2008, 2009, and 2011, Ells averaged 152 games, and some of the games issed in earlier years was onperformance.  The other two years, he only missed games due to collision.

2-You are incorrectly assuming that playing while injured provides positive value.  I have never seen any evidence of that.  

Take the two latest NYY injuries.  As I mentioned in Dem Yanks on the night they returned, and as I mentioned to my brother at the game, both players looked they were rushed back just to face the RS.  Now Youk is back on the DL, and Tex is off to see the doctor about his wrist.  

When Pedey was fielding grounders on his knees, maybe it was a show of toughness, but it struck me as illogical and I wonder if it prolonged his injury.  

Papi playing last year with his injured achilles.  How did that work out?  

Buchholz trying to pitch through pain in 2011, instead of resting, cost us the pennant.

Lackey pitched to an ERA of 6.41.  I admire his tenacity and toughness, but if you can't play, you can't play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

You're missing two key concepts.

1-In 2008, 2009, and 2011, Ells averaged 152 games, and some of the games issed in earlier years was onperformance.  The other two years, he only missed games due to collision.

2-You are incorrectly assuming that playing while injured provides positive value.  I have never seen any evidence of that.  

Take the two latest NYY injuries.  As I mentioned in Dem Yanks on the night they returned, and as I mentioned to my brother at the game, both players looked they were rushed back just to face the RS.  Now Youk is back on the DL, and Tex is off to see the doctor about his wrist.  

When Pedey was fielding grounders on his knees, maybe it was a show of toughness, but it struck me as illogical and I wonder if it prolonged his injury.  

Papi playing last year with his injured achilles.  How did that work out?  

Buchholz trying to pitch through pain in 2011, instead of resting, cost us the pennant.

Lackey pitched to an ERA of 6.41.  I admire his tenacity and toughness, but if you can't play, you can't play.

Pedroia is playing with a torn ligament. I don't expect players to be 100% effective if they are injured, but it would be nice to see them try to give the team what they have from time to time. Ellsbury has never done that. JD Drew was another guy with that reputation. Francona at one point ordered Drew to play after Drew took himself out of the lineup. Ellsbury is as tough as a marshmallow.

Sections
Shortcuts