Gomes LF
    Carp 1B
    Saltalamacchia C
    Middkebrooks 3B
    Drew SS

Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (6-3, 4.12).

ORIOLES (39-30)
    TBA
    Pitching: RHP Miguel Gonzalez (4-2, 3.71).

Game time: 1:35 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN / WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Game Thread 71: Red Sox at Orioles

This would be a really good time for Lester to come up big.  As Yaz has said, don't think.  The time for thinking and studying and practicing is the other four days off.  Get the ball, get the signal, and throw the ball.

You have three guys with an OPS of > .800.  You can be careful with those guys.  The other 6 guys, while I'm not saying you can groove pitches, but you can't walk them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

RHP Pedro Beato joined the Sox today. Rubby De La Rosa optioned.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester tossed an egg last time out. This game I am expecting him to be at least mediocre (ie 3 runs in six innings-and no nonsense that this somehow represents a "quality" start because its not). The key is our ability to score at least five runs and head home having split this series.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Pedroia deserves a day off.  Hasn't he played in every single game so far this year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Aceves will start Tuesday. De La Rosa and Webster candidates for later in the week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Farrell on Pedroia: "It was starting to catch up to him a little bit. It was clear he needed a day today."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darrylfries. Show darrylfries's posts

Gomes should have caught that ball late break and no footspeed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

He's no gold glover, that's for sure. 

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Jeez - Lester doing his best Dice-K impersonation for the 6th straight game.  High pitch count, lots of balls, nit-picking unsuccessfully, throwing meatballs when down in the count.  All amounts to a 3-0 deficit and a pace to be over 100 pitches by the 5th inning.  Want to look at something telling?  Look at his stats (especially his WHIP) over his last 6 starts - unbelievably dreadful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

More two out runs scored against Lester. Does he UNDERSTAND that there are three outs in an inning? Over 70 pitches now in the 3rd inning. Getting sick of seeing this every time out. But dont worry folks, he knows he let the team down, and will try harder next time. Bunk. I am sick, sick, sick of Lester. He is what he is, and is not likely to change. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

More two out runs scored against Lester. Does he UNDERSTAND that there are three outs in an inning? Over 70 pitches now in the 3rd inning. Getting sick of seeing this every time out. But dont worry folks, he knows he let the team down, and will try harder next time. Bunk. I am sick, sick, sick of Lester. He is what he is, and is not likely to change. 

if you are saying he's horrible...i agree!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Pedroia deserves a day off.  Hasn't he played in every single game so far this year?

With injuries too. A player that a fan of any team would admire,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Wow. This is so unlike Jon Lester. Big game, contending opponent and The Fat Cat Ace cant get it done. This never happens if you dont count the times hes not on the mound.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Jon Lester has got to be the most over rated pitcher in the AL East. Just an utterly disappointing pitcher. Should have traded this guy after the 2011 season after what he did to Terry Francona.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

if you are saying he's horrible...i agree!

Well, hes read my post between innings and decided to give up some runs with no one out. Hes an equal opportunity rag arm. And BTW, remember folks, hes NOT hurt. He said so himself last week. Hes just a hopeless head case, thats all. TOAST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Jon Lester has got to be the most over rated pitcher in the AL East. Just an utterly disappointing pitcher. Should have traded this guy after the 2011 season after what he did to Terry Francona.

Francona? How about how he laid down on the TEAM?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Jon is in a slump.  The team isn't hitting today. So, for those you who are fathers try to focus on enjoying the family on this fathers day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Jon is in a slump.  The team isn't hitting today. So, for those you who are fathers try to focus on enjoying the family on this fathers day.

He simply sucks. Thats it. Hes done this almost every single time in his whole career when hes pitching a game that comes anywhere close to actually mattering. I dont even question it anymore. When we play an important game against a contending opponent and I see Jon Lester's name on it, I count that game as a loss before it evenmgets started. It goes without saying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

No walks, 8 K's thru 5....too many pitches, too many balls and behind in the count. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

No walks, 8 K's thru 5....too many pitches, too many balls and behind in the count. 

JBay Happy Fathers Day. Lester needs a catcher who can give him a kick in the rear end. He pitches behind in the count then lays fat fastballs over the plate that he gets beat on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Lester sucks again today.  This is getting old.  He is no better than a fourth starter.  I'd much rather see Lackey out there and I never thought I'd say that.  This Baltimore pitcher is making lester look like an idiot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

He simply sucks. Thats it. Hes done this almost every single time in his whole career when hes pitching a game that comes anywhere close to actually mattering. I dont even question it anymore. When we play an important game against a contending opponent and I see Jon Lester's name on it, I count that game as a loss before it evenmgets started. It goes without saying.

Exactly.  He chokes in almost every important game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Lester sucks again today.  This is getting old.  He is no better than a fourth starter.  I'd much rather see Lackey out there and I never thought I'd say that.  This Baltimore pitcher is making lester look like an idiot.

Lester does not even keep the team in games anymore. I know we are not hitting but I cannot remember the last time Jon Lester won a game.

Sections
Shortcuts