Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey:
    In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : Yip. Just a matter of time before NYY figure out how to beat us a couple times. If that happens, it's over as far as the division goes, and I'm not nuts about our chances as a wild card unless they start hitting better.
    Posted by TheExaminer

they'll catch fire again Exam.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : But that's my point bean. They righted the ship early enough to be able to hang onto home field, and they didn't have the injuries this team has. And don't forget that they perpetually held a 5-8 game lead over NYY right up until the very end, when NYY crept to within 1 before falling back (and that was with about 7 or 8 games to go). No such luxury this year. This goes right to my point. Had that team had as small a lead as this team, they probably wouldn't have held on, would have lost home field--and then do you think they would have come back against Cleveland? Not as likely. So no matter how you cut it, this team is in trouble. In dire life/death straits? No, but still in trouble.
    Posted by TheExaminer

I don't see that way, we're a game back in the loss column as we type. Though it doesn't look good today down 4-0 with Price dealing...after today we're on the road to KC and Texas...An important trip where we have to play at least .500 ball. I don't see the current teams injuries as comparable to 06...We do have some nagging injuries and few of our guys are struggling to square up the ball, but really aside from Papi's recent wrist injury and Drew's back, our nucleaus is still healthy...Our pitching is in great shape with both Beckett and Lester throwing the ball well, the addition of Bedard we've covered the loss of Buccholz. While Lackey & Wake have been keeping us in games with a pretty deep pen that's done a great job...I saw a stat yesterday that if we play .500 the rest of the way we're on pace for 95 wins...I doubt that we'll play less than .550 ball the rest of the way...I don't see as in trouble, becasue frankly I also don't think that the Yankees are gonna run away and hide...my guess is that it's gonna come down to the last week and both the Sox and Yanks will be competing for the division and the 2nd place teams will win the WC...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : they'll catch fire again Exam.......
    Posted by J-BAY

Yep, this is just how they operate, its weird... They can go on stretches of beating good pitching then lose to the likes of Pitt, Kansas City, and Seattle...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Now do we have to ask ourselves if we have TWO big time free agents that aren't handling pressure. Gonzalez has slipped a lot. It reminds me of when the Reds traded for Griffey in 00. That was the biggest thing ever in Cincy, and the Reds were going to win the next 10 WS. He never panned out, mostly because of injuries, but he never panned out. To counter this move, the Cardinals went and got some guy named Jim Edmonds, (an OK player, but no superstar) who helped lead them to two WS appearancces, and 4 or 5 division championships. You just never know how people will respond when faced with pressure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

A great thought was came up on another thread. "bench the bench players". Wicked smaht.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Now do we have to ask ourselves if we have TWO big time free agents that aren't handling pressure. Gonzalez has slipped a lot. It reminds me of when the Reds traded for Griffey in 00. That was the biggest thing ever in Cincy, and the Reds were going to win the next 10 WS. He never panned out, mostly because of injuries, but he never panned out. To counter this move, the Cardinals went and got some guy named Jim Edmonds, (an OK player, but no superstar) who helped lead them to two WS appearancces, and 4 or 5 division championships. You just never know how people will respond when faced with pressure.
    Posted by TheExaminer

Gonzo is a cool customer.....cool as cool can be...pressure wont bother him in the least exam.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Rays have not used a reliever in this series.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : I don't see that way, we're a game back in the loss column as we type. Though it doesn't look good today down 4-0 with Price dealing...after today we're on the road to KC and Texas...An important trip where we have to play at least .500 ball. I don't see the current teams injuries as comparable to 06...We do have some nagging injuries and few of our guys are struggling to square up the ball, but really aside from Papi's recent wrist injury and Drew's back, our nucleaus is still healthy...Our pitching is in great shape with both Beckett and Lester throwing the ball well, the addition of Bedard we've covered the loss of Buccholz. While Lackey & Wake have been keeping us in games with a pretty deep pen that's done a great job...I saw a stat yesterday that if we play .500 the rest of the way we're on pace for 95 wins...I doubt that we'll play less than .550 ball the rest of the way...I don't see as in trouble, becasue frankly I also don't think that the Yankees are gonna run away and hide...my guess is that it's gonna come down to the last week and both the Sox and Yanks will be competing for the division and the 2nd place teams will win the WC...
    Posted by Beantowne

Yeah, I agree that NYY will not run away. What worries me is the psychological effect of losing the division lead, and then having to play on the road. Generally that's not good. I don't claim to know the future, so I can't say what will happen. I can only go on what is good basebal sense, and that usually doesn't go well. On thing that always comes back to me on days like this is what PD said earlier in reference to the 2-10 start: "we know where we came from".They're going to need that kind of tenacity. But I still stand by what I said, the team is in trouble, not dire straits, life/death, but just trouble.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : Yeah, I agree that NYY will not run away. What worries me is the psychological effect of losing the division lead, and then having to play on the road. Generally that's not good. I don't claim to know the future, so I can't say what will happen. I can only go on what is good basebal sense, and that usually doesn't go well. On thing that always comes back to me on days like this is what PD said earlier in reference to the 2-10 start: "we know where we came from".They're going to need that kind of tenacity. But I still stand by what I said, the team is in trouble, not dire straits, life/death, but just trouble.
    Posted by TheExaminer

NYY pitching hasnt been good of late..CC two bad outings, nova got knocked around bigtime last night by KC, burnett need i say more??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : they'll catch fire again Exam.......
    Posted by J-BAY

Yes, I'd feel a lot better with a 5-3/6-2 road trip. They've pulled stranger feats, but with Oritz out, I just don't know jbay. We'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : Yes, I'd feel a lot better with a 5-3/6-2 road trip. They've pulled stranger feats, but with Oritz out, I just don't know jbay. We'll see.
    Posted by TheExaminer

yup, from last place to first, in record timeLaughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : NYY pitching hasnt been good of late..CC two bad outings, nova got knocked around bigtime last night by KC, burnett need i say more??
    Posted by J-BAY

I'm counting on that to hold us in. The 09 NYY these are not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Nice, J-Bay is like a rose in a field of ragweed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : I'm counting on that to hold us in. The 09 NYY these are not.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE

agreed. 09 was their year, this year doesnt look that way. may not be ours either, but were built and set up for the next 2-3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Price had good stuff today. Pitched a great game. Have to tip your cap to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Posted by J-BAY
    K.C. pitching staff is rotten the sox will score lots of runs this week 7-8 a game. (P.S.maybe even AGON will hit a home run)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Crawford may not hit much, but he plays a great left field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Proud of Lackey today, and Aceves too. The pitching did it's job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : K.C. pitching staff is rotten the sox will score lots of runs this week 7-8 a game. (P.S.maybe even AGON will hit a home run)
    Posted by CHUBBIE99

thats usually all it takes to get the bats going.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Proud of Lackey today, and Aceves too. The pitching did it's job.
    Posted by dannycater

Wheeler good again also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

Rays have not used a reliever in this series.

Posted by dgalehouse

Price is at 116 pitches, so that streak is likely over.

This seems to be record setting territory. When is the last time a visiting team came to Fenway and went 26 straight innings without a single use of their bullpen?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

Yes, this is the true Red Sox! A team of very well paid good, hardly great, players! July was a fluke.  Thirty-five million for Lackey and Crawford????? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : Wheeler good again also.
    Posted by J-BAY

Other than Albers slipping up a little last night, I have no complaint against the pitching. My vitriol is pointed at this hitting. I wish Farnsworth would author one of his patented random/out of the blue/total collapses today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Disappointing showing by the Sox - but a tip of the cap to the Rays pitching staff.  Sox had a chance to put the Rays out of the race for good but weren't able to do it.  Watching the Rays pitching shut down the Sox hitting makes one wonder how the Sox will fair against the Philly staff in the WS - they are much better than the Rays.  Good news as pointed out is that the Sox skip into KC and should break out the bats once more.  KC will be about shot after the EE leaves tonight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread--8/17/11, Price vs Lackey : NYY pitching hasnt been good of late..CC two bad outings, nova got knocked around bigtime last night by KC, burnett need i say more??
    Posted by J-BAY

-----------------------------------------------
    You are correct about their pitching not being terrific lately but the difference is their offense has not suffered. They can carry a mediocre performance by scoring some 5-6 runs per game & this is w/o AROD !!! Perfect example on our team of mediocre pitching being rescued by the offense is that Lackey, prior to today had been gifted 5-6runs !!!

Sections
Shortcuts