Game Thread 83: Blue Jays at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Game Thread 83: Blue Jays at Red Sox

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hr's are overated, and if you want to debate it no problem. Cardinals, Sox, Tigers 3 of the best teams in MLB in hitting, (runs), lowest in total HRS. You realize the Tigers with Cabrerra and Fielder, Hunter, have less HRS than the Sox.
    Last I checked the Orioles. lead the Majors in Hrs, yet they have not scored nearly the runs the Sox have.

Check the Cards and Orioles Total Team Stats, and then you tell me if HRS aren't overated. The Cards dont have a DH either.

A home run is the best possible result for a hitter , and the worst possible result for the pitcher. With one swing of the bat, you score at least one and possibly more runs. How can that be overrated?  Of course there are other things that go into winning games.  Any of the teams you mentioned would be better if they had more homers. But home runs without the other factors are not going to be enough. That does not mean that home runs are overrated. 

[/QUOTE]

Scoring more runs than your opponent is also overrated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Some fans get so wrapped up in the latest geek metrics that they lose their baseball common sense. Strikeouts are not overrated , either for the pitcher or the batter. A strikeout is a total failure for the batter. Nothing good can happen if you don't put the ball in play.  Some of these same fans also say that home runs are overrated.  Stolen bases too. Closers too. Preposterous.   All these things play a big part in winning or losing.  They are all quite important and not at all overrated.

Striekouts are maybe the most UNDERRATED thing in baseball.  When a player strikes out he 'gives away' 1/3 of an inning with nothing to show for it. 

If there are runners on base a K often sets up an inning-ending double play OR it puts the defensive team in a position where they don't need a DP to get out of the inning.  Given the fact that a batter only gets a hit about 1/3 of the time but can have a "productive out" with less than two outs, a single K with people on base is very significant. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A lot of silliness in game threads, and this one is no exception.

Boston didn't lose this game as much as Toronto won.  Their starter was just lights out with a good variety of pitches and pinpoint control, constantly hitting the corners.  That's why, for example, Victorino, no slouch as a base runner, got the go ahead to score from 2B on a single with nobody out, Ortiz coming to bat, and a pretty good arm, Bautista, at the other end of the single.  I too was unhappy at the moment, but Bautista did in fact make an incredible throw, no bounces, and right on home plate a little below waist high.  At that point I think it was a reasonable assumption Ortiz would make another out, not get the single he did get, and that Napoli would strike out again and that Nava wouldn't get a hit.  Why?  Because that is what had happened all game long until that point.  This was a good time to force the issue, especially with a fast baserunner who could only the thrown out by a great throw. 

The Sox still tied the game against the bullpen in the 7th inning, but this time the bullpen couldn't hold back the Jays.  It happens.

The Sox came into this series knowing they could not use either of their two best starters, Buchholz on the DL or Lackey who pitched Wednesday and won't go again until Monday.  Most sensible people were hoping for the Sox to split even though all games would be at Fenway.

But the Sox have already taken 2 of 3 against what was the hottest team in the AL, a team many thought before the season would win the AL East and a team that very recently swept the Orioles at Camden Yards and help keep the Sox in first place in the AL East.

In the first two games the Sox beat down the starters, but not so much the bullpen of the Jays, and yesterday the reverse happened, although really only against the one reliever, Oliver.

I too was unhappy with the sacrifice bunt that failed, but it wasn't that bad of a bunt (by Diaz playing in his first MLB game ever) and the 42 year old Oliver made a great barehanded grab and perfect throw home.    

Doubront pitched I thought a heckuva game and gave up 2 runs in 6.1 innings.  Well done--unless of course you are being scrutinized by some of the "fans" on OTFB, in which case you are a dud with anything less than a shutout. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Well, honestly, I dont mind so much losing this game if we win tommorow. I'll only get really ticked if we drop the backend of this series after taking the front. We win tommorow, meh, crap happens. Sweep SD, jump on a plane to the coast and get on with your week. I'll take three of four, its what I predicted at the beginning of this series. A loss tommorow and its a whole different scene. 

This is what I was looking for from the start.  Take 2-3, and we're in good shape.  3-4 is great and 2-2 is what was expected.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

it just makes me mad when we lose to pitchers like rogers...sould not happen.

Rogers has a 3.09 over the past two years, and has a 1.98 in his previous 36 IPs before last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

I really dont mind a loss if a well played game but to see the Sox many blunders, coaching , lack of timely hitting etc.. it really burns me up... they need a bounce back game tomorrow to make up for this mess of a game today

Yup.  These games happen, but they are frustrating as heck.

• Pedey lead-off 2B-stranded
    • Salty lead-off single stranded
    • 2B-1B-1B and -0- runs due to Butterfield brainfart.
    • The contact play when Gomes, imo, should've PH.

Anything can happen, but that's a lot of runs to leave on the bases in the first three instances.

Okay, guys make outs with runners on all the time, but getting someone thrown out at the plate with -0- is as bad a mistake as you can make in BB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Yup.  These games happen, but they are frustrating as heck.

Pedey lead-off 2B-stranded

• Salty lead-off single stranded
    • 2B-1B-1B and -0- runs due to Butterfield brainfart.
    • The contact play when Gomes, imo, should've PH.

Anything can happen, but that's a lot of runs to leave on the bases in the first three instances.

Okay, guys make outs with runners on all the time, but getting someone thrown out at the plate with -0- is as bad a mistake as you can make in BB.

You can get guys hurt on those plays too.  Victorino and Salty were both abused physically on those plays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Hr's are overated, and if you want to debate it no problem. Cardinals, Sox, Tigers 3 of the best teams in MLB in hitting, (runs), lowest in total HRS. You realize the Tigers with Cabrerra and Fielder, Hunter, have less HRS than the Sox.
    Last I checked the Orioles. lead the Majors in Hrs, yet they have not scored nearly the runs the Sox have.

Check the Cards and Orioles Total Team Stats, and then you tell me if HRS aren't overated. The Cards dont have a DH either.

A home run is the best possible result for a hitter , and the worst possible result for the pitcher. With one swing of the bat, you score at least one and possibly more runs. How can that be overrated?  Of course there are other things that go into winning games.  Any of the teams you mentioned would be better if they had more homers. But home runs without the other factors are not going to be enough. That does not mean that home runs are overrated. 

Scoring more runs than your opponent is also overrated.

Yup. Scoring more runs than your opponent is merely the entire object of the game.  A home run means instant run/runs.   A strikeout means total zero..  But these things are overrated.  Yeah , right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

A lot of silliness in game threads, and this one is no exception.

Boston didn't lose this game as much as Toronto won.  Their starter was just lights out with a good variety of pitches and pinpoint control, constantly hitting the corners.  That's why, for example, Victorino, no slouch as a base runner, got the go ahead to score from 2B on a single with nobody out, Ortiz coming to bat, and a pretty good arm, Bautista, at the other end of the single.  I too was unhappy at the moment, but Bautista did in fact make an incredible throw, no bounces, and right on home plate a little below waist high.  At that point I think it was a reasonable assumption Ortiz would make another out, not get the single he did get, and that Napoli would strike out again and that Nava wouldn't get a hit.  Why?  Because that is what had happened all game long until that point.  This was a good time to force the issue, especially with a fast baserunner who could only the thrown out by a great throw. 

The Sox still tied the game against the bullpen in the 7th inning, but this time the bullpen couldn't hold back the Jays.  It happens.

The Sox came into this series knowing they could not use either of their two best starters, Buchholz on the DL or Lackey who pitched Wednesday and won't go again until Monday.  Most sensible people were hoping for the Sox to split even though all games would be at Fenway.

But the Sox have already taken 2 of 3 against what was the hottest team in the AL, a team many thought before the season would win the AL East and a team that very recently swept the Orioles at Camden Yards and help keep the Sox in first place in the AL East.

In the first two games the Sox beat down the starters, but not so much the bullpen of the Jays, and yesterday the reverse happened, although really only against the one reliever, Oliver.

I too was unhappy with the sacrifice bunt that failed, but it wasn't that bad of a bunt (by Diaz playing in his first MLB game ever) and the 42 year old Oliver made a great barehanded grab and perfect throw home.    

Doubront pitched I thought a heckuva game and gave up 2 runs in 6.1 innings.  Well done--unless of course you are being scrutinized by some of the "fans" on OTFB, in which case you are a dud with anything less than a shutout. 

Max , you are really reaching here to defend the indefensible.  There is no excuse to send Victorino in that situation.  None whatsoever. It was a blunder by Butterfield. The third base coach has to be aware of the game situation. That means the score , number of outs , speed of the runner , arm of the outfielder , who the next batter is , etc.   In this case , you do not send the runner unless he can score easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

i dont know whats going on with Napoli but he needs to sit... he has becomes a singles hitter who strikes out two thirds of the time... I m a big fan of his but the Sox cant continue to have that black hole non productive hitter in the fifth hole...

I would add that he's a lousy fielder.

Sections
Shortcuts