Game Thread 99: Yankees at Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Game Thread 99: Yankees at Red Sox

In response to Key2Delock's comment:

Some Perspective After A Rough Loss

Before this season, many prognosticators expected this team to finish last in the American League East and far out of the playoffs. 

While that's not beyond the realm of possibility for a team with so few top-level players (Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester excepted), a recent history of late-season collapses and many division games still to be played among the 63 games left in the season (including 17 between now and August 29 and 19 in September, plus six in California against the Giants and Dodgers), getting to the 100-game point with the best record in the American League, while posting a 14-7 record since losing three of four in Detroit a month ago, is remarkable.

...and the winner of this week's award for the longest run-on sentence is.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

S5:  Run-on? Excessive? True. Sorry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Saltalachia absolutely reeks, I hope they do not sign this guy after the season.  He is a strikeout machine, atrocious. 

On another note I have never seen a guy like Rivera stay consistent the way he has into his 40s. Papelbon's velocity has dropped but this guy stays the same unreal.

Incorrect; he used to throw high 90s; now it's low 90s. Another heretical post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Saltalachia absolutely reeks, I hope they do not sign this guy after the season.  He is a strikeout machine, atrocious. 

On another note I have never seen a guy like Rivera stay consistent the way he has into his 40s. Papelbon's velocity has dropped but this guy stays the same unreal.

Incorrect; he used to throw high 90s; now it's low 90s. Another heretical post.

[/QUOTE]

And with just the two pitches the fastball and the cutter, early in his career with more velo he was unhittable.

I think the hitters have learned the best thing you can do is just go with the pitch because there is little you can do with Mariano's cutter.

Why the Yankees don't bring the outfielders in for Mariano has been a mystery to me.

It's usually the little Texas leaguer just over the infield that gets the 9th inning rally going, just like last night.

Seldom is it a solid hit out into the gap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

How many times is butterball going to send a runner when he absolutely should not.... there is no way in  h e l l that Nava makes that.... I am sick of this guys mistakes

He tripped, Venice. I would have sent him, with 2 outs. Nava has pretty good speed. Not blazing, but he would have scored. Field must still be wet, from the rain. 

He stumbled briefly JBay and he was thrown out by a mile on a fairly bad throw... sorry to disagree but the was a shot by Ortiz that almost no one would have scored on... just my opinion

Your right on "Venice".  Ortiz hit a rocket almost directly to the Yankee left fielder who had the ball in his glove even before Nava reached third base, who then makes a bad throw up the 1st base line to the catcher who still had time to tag out Nava.  Sox have been running the bases aggressively which I think is a good idea, but there are times when they are way too aggressive when the obvious was to stop at 3rd and give Carp a chance to drive in the run and I don't think I'm second guessing on this play.  Very bad call by the third base coach and Nava.  Oh well, that's baseball.......GO SOX!

Sections
Shortcuts