Game Thread - Beckett v. Royals - Thursday 7/28

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Game Thread - Beckett v. Royals - Thursday 7/28

Bad to split this series, had to take 3 or all 4.  Plus how do you let Butler beat you when he has been pounding home runs off us this series. Now you have no idea what you get with wakefield tomorrow nite and the Yankees are playing Baltimore this weekend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LondonRedSox. Show LondonRedSox's posts

Frown

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I'd like to hear Tito's explanation why he didn't hit Salty for Navarro. Given how much he loves the lefty righty thing, why did he have a righty bat against Soria?

Varitek was already out of the game when Crawford pinch hit for him.

Doesn't make sense, but oh well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

any thoughts on haynesworth ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread - Beckett v. Royals - Thursday 7/28:
    [QUOTE]why not bat salty for navarro there
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

or scutaro...or papelbon...or lester.  really anyone there except navarro.  that's horrible managing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

ouch...tough one guys...well, Yanks get back half of that game from yesterday...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In the 13th inniong on Mondays game he had Navarror swinging away on a 2-0 pitch with runners on 1st and thrird and he fouled out. Unreal Navarro is not exactly Gonzo. He has a sold 220 average. Just bad and I could deal with losing today if they had taken Monday's game as well. thats what you should be doing against a Kansas City team, you have to win 3 of 4 not split with them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I stand by my belief that this team needs more offense.

I don't care about the 12- and 13-run outbursts that they have; they lose far too many games like this one today for my liking.

They dropped two games at home this week to a bad team because they simply didn't hit enough.

The lineup goes 5-deep on most nights; 6-deep on a good night, and that's not good enough come October.

In the post-season you face nothing but quality pitching; you don't face the Orioles' and Mariners' pitching staffs.

They need another bat, and I don't care what the statistics say.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I am also tired of Carl crawford as well. He has been off resting for the two weeks he was on the DL. Stop babying these guys Tito.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This series was a Failure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They are not the world beaters at home as I have seen in Red Sox teams in the past.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread - Beckett v. Royals - Thursday 7/28 : or scutaro...or papelbon...or lester.  really anyone there except navarro.  that's horrible managing.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

If you wanted to pich hit CC....why not let Tek hit and then CC for Navarro.....though I agree Salty for Navarro would have been fine.....I just dont see letting a RH hitting rookie face Soria in that spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

KC has been playing good ball of late.  They split with them.  Its not a success.  But its not that bad.  Its baseball.  it happens.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I stand by my belief that this team needs more offense. I don't care about the 12- and 13-run outbursts that they have; they lose far too many games like this one today for my liking. They dropped two games at home this week to a bad team because they simply didn't hit enough. The lineup goes 5-deep on most nights; 6-deep on a good night, and that's not good enough come October. In the post-season you face nothing but quality pitching; you don't face the Orioles' and Mariners' pitching staffs. They need another bat, and I don't care what the statistics say.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

Really?  Those bad bats saved our bacon on the two nights when the starting pitching, first by Miller and then by Lackey, wasn't so hot. 

The Sox's weakness is starting pitching, period.  The bullpen has been pretty darn good, and the hitting is the best in MLB. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Plus this game they are playing with Bucholtz, they must be hiding something so teams do not take them to the cleaners in a trade. Pleas its been almost two months since this guy has pitched. They have to know what is really wrong with him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The same people are critical when the medical staff "babies" the players as when the player comes back too soon and gets a worse injury. You can't win with these perpetual whiners. It is "Heads I win, Tails you lose" with them. They are always right and the FO is always wrong. It would be nice if they were somewhere in between.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]This series was a Failure.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew with his God-given right to be headstrong, obstinate, and stubborn. He admitted last night that he is all of those. If so, then he is just toying with all of you.Don't waste your time with him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I stand by my belief that this team needs more offense. I don't care about the 12- and 13-run outbursts that they have; they lose far too many games like this one today for my liking. They dropped two games at home this week to a bad team because they simply didn't hit enough. The lineup goes 5-deep on most nights; 6-deep on a good night, and that's not good enough come October. In the post-season you face nothing but quality pitching; you don't face the Orioles' and Mariners' pitching staffs. They need another bat, and I don't care what the statistics say.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]
    The Seattle pitching staff would be formidable in the postseason.

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&lg=al&stats=pit&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

ADG, you are right: It just doesn't make sense--unless you look in the dugout and see the guy with the big wad of bubblegum! Wonder if all that gum is sugsr free?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

that was a bad stretch for Beckett, where he started the inning with 2 walks, then the HR, followed by back to back doubles.  There are the 4 runs he coughed up.  Outside those AB, he was solid.  May be a mental lapse between him and Tek.

On the batting, a little disappointing they couldn't score against Hochevar.

This game was important in that Sox are at best having Lester and Beckett needing to win their games, with a so-so Lackey, and pretty much hit or miss with Miller and Wake, altough Wake may be the 3rd best starter for Sox right now.

Still can't complain with the best records in AL, just a game shy of best in majors.  The team does need some starting pitching to replace Dicek & Buch, and a righty OF with a capability to hit at least a 0.270 average.