Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros

So long everyone.  Bring it home.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Pitcher is due up this inning
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Thanks 5k.  I just looked it up.  In case anyone else is interested.

the purpose of a double switch is to bring a pitcher and another player into the game, but you switch their positions in the batting order, so that you get to wait as long as possible for the pitcher to come to bat again (since pitchers are usually weak hitters).

For example, if your batting order to start the game is:

1. 2nd baseman
    2. 3rd baseman
    3. 1st baseman
    4. center fielder
    5. left fielder
    6. right fielder
    7. catcher
    8. shortstop
    9. pitcher

Let's say the shortstop (8th batting order spot) makes the last out of an inning. To do a double switch, you would bring in a new pitcher, and a new shortstop... you would then have the new pitcher bat eighth, and the shortstop bat ninth... this way, you can lead off the next inning with your new shortstop (who now bats 9th), and you can actually go through the entire batting order before the pitcher has to come to bat again (because the NEW pitcher is now hitting 8th in the lineup)... so the new pitcher would hit eighth in the order, and the new shortstop would bat ninth.

If you only substitute a new pitcher, he has to take the spot in the lineup of the player he replaces, which means the new pitcher would have to lead off the next inning (as the 9th man in the batting order), which you don't want... that's why you do a double switch... you bring two players in, one pitcher and one fielder, and switch their spots in the batting order.

Double switching is a valuable tactic, because it allows a manager to bring a reliever into the game when he wants, without having to take him out right away for a pinch-hitter (assuming we're in a National League game).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

[QUOTE]I wish they would of explained the Double Switch a bit for those of us who could give a Sh*t about NL baseball.  Why do it?  What's the advantage?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]
    It allows the pitcher to take the place of the fielder who batted last, thus requiring the line up to go all the way around to get to the pitcher again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Have to feel pretty confident with Bard and Pap to finish this up. Still, it was disappointing not to add more runs there. Could have put it out of reach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : and IF your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle. And Colon is the story of the year.
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]
    Your aunt does have balls.
    (Sorry, Babe, couldn't resist)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Thanks 5k.  I just looked it up.  In case anyone else is interested. the purpose of a double switch is to bring a pitcher and another player into the game, but you switch their positions in the batting order , so that you get to wait as long as possible for the pitcher to come to bat again (since pitchers are usually weak hitters). For example, if your batting order to start the game is: 1. 2nd baseman 2. 3rd baseman 3. 1st baseman 4. center fielder 5. left fielder 6. right fielder 7. catcher 8. shortstop 9. pitcher Let's say the shortstop (8th batting order spot) makes the last out of an inning. To do a double switch, you would bring in a new pitcher, and a new shortstop... you would then have the new pitcher bat eighth, and the shortstop bat ninth... this way, you can lead off the next inning with your new shortstop (who now bats 9th), and you can actually go through the entire batting order before the pitcher has to come to bat again (because the NEW pitcher is now hitting 8th in the lineup)... so the new pitcher would hit eighth in the order, and the new shortstop would bat ninth. If you only substitute a new pitcher, he has to take the spot in the lineup of the player he replaces, which means the new pitcher would have to lead off the next inning (as the 9th man in the batting order), which you don't want... that's why you do a double switch... you bring two players in, one pitcher and one fielder, and switch their spots in the batting order. Double switching is a valuable tactic, because it allows a manager to bring a reliever into the game when he wants, without having to take him out right away for a pinch-hitter (assuming we're in a National League game).
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

It is useful if you want the pitcher to go at least another inning or two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Bard is back on track

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : It is useful if you want the pitcher to go at least another inning or two.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    In our case, though, it simply made the pitcher's spot eighth instead of ninth. I think, anyway ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bard has been lights out lately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Your aunt does have balls. (Sorry, Babe, couldn't resist)
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Thanks but my aunt recently passed away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Want one more run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Thanks but my aunt recently passed away.
    Sorry man. Probably shouldn't have brought it up, then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Thanks 5k.  I just looked it up.  In case anyone else is interested. the purpose of a double switch is to bring a pitcher and another player into the game, but you switch their positions in the batting order , so that you get to wait as long as possible for the pitcher to come to bat again (since pitchers are usually weak hitters). For example, if your batting order to start the game is: 1. 2nd baseman 2. 3rd baseman 3. 1st baseman 4. center fielder 5. left fielder 6. right fielder 7. catcher 8. shortstop 9. pitcher Let's say the shortstop (8th batting order spot) makes the last out of an inning. To do a double switch, you would bring in a new pitcher, and a new shortstop... you would then have the new pitcher bat eighth, and the shortstop bat ninth... this way, you can lead off the next inning with your new shortstop (who now bats 9th), and you can actually go through the entire batting order before the pitcher has to come to bat again (because the NEW pitcher is now hitting 8th in the lineup)... so the new pitcher would hit eighth in the order, and the new shortstop would bat ninth. If you only substitute a new pitcher, he has to take the spot in the lineup of the player he replaces, which means the new pitcher would have to lead off the next inning (as the 9th man in the batting order), which you don't want... that's why you do a double switch... you bring two players in, one pitcher and one fielder, and switch their spots in the batting order. Double switching is a valuable tactic, because it allows a manager to bring a reliever into the game when he wants, without having to take him out right away for a pinch-hitter (assuming we're in a National League game).
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]I am not a big fan of NL ball, that just wasn't exciting as watching a Ortiz AB. Different strokes but watching Brad Mills do a text book switch doesn't make my enjoyment meter jump.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : I am not a big fan of NL ball, that just wasn't exciting as watching a Ortiz AB. Different strokes but watching Brad Mills do a text book switch doesn't make my enjoyment meter jump.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

The N.L. , as far as I know , is the only baseball league that does not use the D.H. It is used throughout the minors.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Sorry man. Probably shouldn't have brought it up, then.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I didn't bring my aunt up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Thanks, but I didn't bring my aunt up.

But I thought you had 3 generations living under the same roof.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Thanks, but I didn't bring my aunt up.
    Just aunts in general.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Reddick with a chance to put the icing on the cake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

But if your aunt's passing was hard on you, you would think you would not say anything about anybody's aunt!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

steve, you still in pittsburgh or home for the 4th?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]steve, you still in pittsburgh or home for the 4th?
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Still in Pitt, thanks for asking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We had several chances to blow this game open. Let's hope Pap can close it out without any drama.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : Still in Pitt, thanks for asking.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

no time like independence day to visit the liberty bell

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game Thread Friday night Sox at Astros : exactly tcal, just looking for attention
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Can't take anything he posts seriously. He is just a b--l buster. Looking to annoy people.