Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop

I have been watching the Red Sox for years and can tell by the way that they clinch a playoff birth how they are going to do. In 86 I thought that they looked great going in, they came withone one pitch of winning it all. In 1988 when they backed in and in 1990 they were obliterated by the Oakland As. In 2004 they went in sharp and looked good and then pulled off the miracle against the Yankees. \This team is way to streaky and goes cold for long periods. They do not look sharp or hungry.
    Beckett is a big question mark and with this team secrecy on injuries, I have a feeling he is going tomiss more than one start. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop

In Response to Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop:
    [QUOTE]Its the 4th inning and Tampa has a 5-0 leading. I keep hoping that Lackey will return to the form of 2009 when he was a Anaheim Angel. The Red Sox do not come back in games. I do not think either one of my hopes are coming true. This game is over. This team is in complete freefall and has been since the two off days due to the hurricane and they cannot get back on track. Thats where the manager needs to light a fire underneath them. He is way too much of a players manager and I think this team needs a more iron fisted guy.  Right now our pitchers like Lackey, Miller, and Wakefield are putting their offenses in a hole quick.  With the way Lackey is going, they say you need a gun for armed robbery. He is awful and will not be any better when and if this team makes the playoffs which I doubt they will. Tampa is hungrier.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Where are all the "true fans" that tell us not to be negative? This is disgusting, they looked better than this in April, at least then we had time to right the ship. I trace the fall back a little further AL, and I can tell you exactly when it started. It started the day the news came out about Bucholz' stress fracture. I posted later that week that it seemed like something had changed in the team, and I couldn't describe it. That was around the beginning of August, and it's been mostly downhill since. They have not played like a team since the end of July.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

looks like they just wana hand the rays the wild card

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Exascerbating the pitching is the recent tailspin by the offense with key players such as Pedroia, Youk and Agon going stone cold.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop:
    [QUOTE]i wish lester could pitch every night
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Careful what you wish for. This is something I've discussed on this forum before. Jon Lester has only won one high pressure "must win" game in his careere that I can find. That was in Sept. of 08. He beat the Rays 3-0 to pull the Sox to within a half game of first. (remember the next night was the game where Bay hit the 2R HR in the 8th to give the Sox the lead--and first place--only to have Papelbon blow it and lose in the 9th) Anyway, he got drilled twice in the playoffs that year, and lost to LAA in 09. Sure, he won game 4 in 07, but that was with his team up 3-0. Not a must win. Lester needs to win a bunch of those kind of games, especially in the playoffs to gain the rep he needs as a big game pithcer that matches his stats. Sabathia used to have that problem, until he broke through in 09.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

@TheExaminer, no doubt hes not perfect and not the ace of this club, im just saying with the way this staff looks now, id rather have him pitch every night then throw these bums out there every night

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Wow PD, could that pitch have been any further outside? This team is a wreck right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I mentioned it last night. Pedey is standing too far off the plate. Lunging at the outside pitch. He was doing that back in April.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Stiff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]@TheExaminer, no doubt hes not perfect and not the ace of this club, im just saying with the way this staff looks now, id rather have him pitch every night then throw these bums out there every night
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

I sure can't disagree with that, Lester on no rest at all would be better than this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

rays playing a little gap band.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Oh Boy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And irony upon irony, NYY will probably lose again tonight. Colon vs Weaver.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

What a bunch of Pillow Biters

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Atchison making sure we don't get our hopes up too much.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

yanks could have a 4.5 game lead if they didnt blow two games against the o's, sox are lucky to be as close as they are with the way they been playing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]What a bunch of Pillow Biters
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

tcal, I hate to even post this b/c of the hate I'll get for it, but there's part of me that acutally wants this team to not make the playoffs. They don't deserve it. What an absolute joke this season has turned into. I love the Sox, but where's the dignity and fire of competitiveness? Not there, and then all the injuries on top of it. But then, pike informs me I'm not a "true fan", so I guess I'll go eat dog crap or something. Who knows.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop : Where are all the "true fans" that tell us not to be negative? This is disgusting, they looked better than this in April, at least then we had time to right the ship. I trace the fall back a little further AL, and I can tell you exactly when it started. It started the day the news came out about Bucholz' stress fracture. I posted later that week that it seemed like something had changed in the team, and I couldn't describe it. That was around the beginning of August, and it's been mostly downhill since. They have not played like a team since the end of July.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

still around, exam. I never said you weren't all "true fans", just said i wouldn't participate for the good of the game threads. have at it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Game thread, Red Sox vs. Devil Dogs, Sept. 9, 2011 Lackey vs Davis @ the trop : still around, exam. I never said you weren't all true fans, just said i would participate in the game threads anymore for the good of the threads  have at it
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear from you jbay. Didn't necessarily refer to you, I was thinking more of pike and jim.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]It appears that Youk was really injured as opposed to the conspiracy "experts" in the forum ( Cater and Georom). This just in. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/09/youkilis_may_ha.html
    Posted by Pollyanna1964[/QUOTE]

Be careful when you say "conspiracy". A certain poster will accuse you of being a Yankee fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]It appears that Youk was really injured as opposed to the conspiracy "experts" in the forum ( Cater and Georom). This just in. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/09/youkilis_may_ha.html
    Posted by Pollyanna1964[/QUOTE]

I've never thought Youk looked healthy from day one this year. It shows all over him. First the hand, then the back, now this. Youk is a gamer, just can't get well this year. I'll tell you guys, like I posted last night--the emotion I feel the most through all this is sadness. I remember taking off work early on April the first (how ironic) this year to come home and watch the game, and how awesome things looked when AG got that big hit to give us the lead.  I remember how excited I was to see the new players, and just like the rest of you, thought we were the inside track to win it all. It's heartbreaking to see this team reduced to this. Is there really no fight left in them? Surely it can't end THIS badly....but who knows.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Now , the word is that Lackey left due to a calf contusion from when he got hit with the line drive. And here I thought they took him out because he stunk.