Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Game Thread

ya at this point ben/larry's plan of gambling on nava/gomes and filling holes with overpriced old players is not working. AJ has looke aweful. Why not give vazquez a shot? He is great defensively (think yadi molina) and is looking better and better with the bat. Hit him 8th and have ross mentor him. Now that middlebrooks is out, hopefully checcini gets a shot at 3B. He is off to a great start in AAA and is looking like he is ready.  I dont think anyone wants to see herrera play everyday and its hurts the bench having him start. The starting rotation will be fine, perhaps the lone brightspot on this team. The pen is in good shape for the most part, though mujica has been hit or miss so far, and badenhop has been the typically mediocre pitcher he has always been. At this point once breslow comes back, I would send down badenhop or designate him for assignment. Workman was great the other day and should remain on the team. Getting swept by the brewers at home is downright embarassing, and I think everyone is wishing we had not let ellsbury go. Nava hit leadoff again today and countinued to suck. (not to mention the error he made in RF) Gomes was useless again. (shocking) Really hope victorino returns soon because this outfield is a mess. Not one guy hitting well. One thing is for sure though, jackie bradley needs to play everyday. We need to see exactly what we have in him and if he can adapt to major league pitching. If we keep sitting him he will never be able to get going. And its not like we have have an abundance of outfield talent. Also, defensivey he is our best outfielder and should play RF until shane comes back then we can either put bradley or sizemore in LF with the other of the two playing CF. Whats really hurting this team is the lack of a middle of the order hitter to drive in runs consistantly. napoli is a #5 hitter with good power but high k's, ortiz is a 38 yr old DH, neither are #3 or 4 hitters. LF is one spot we have where a player like that would fit. Kemp was mentioned in the offseason and is now healthy and starting for the dodgers. Stanton is off to a great start for the marlins and it remains to be seen if they will deal him or not. Either would work, with kemp being the more likely of the 2. The dodgers need to move an outfielder, crawford is going nowhere and would bring back nothing, either is marginal value and is perhaps a better fit for their team, so that leaves kemp as th odd man out. As much as I want stanton, the marlins may never deal him and if they do, the cost would be insanely high.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dbeach48's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many millions did rs pay mujica??

whatta Bum

[/QUOTE]

Ex-Cardinal. They will screw us every time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

whatta Bum

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The SOX are 8-2 against them in the 2004 and 2013 WS. They're pizzed!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

whatta Bum

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mujica was the Card's closer. He apparently fell out of favor with them. He lost the closer's role to Rosenthal for obvious reasons. But then it seems they no longer trusted him in any meaningful situation. There must be a reason for that. We will see how he fares in the games to come, but at this point, his stuff is somewhat less than impressive, to say the least. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Part 2 of my plan. Get rid of AJ; trade him for some catching equipment. Bring up one of the promising catcher prospects to back up Ross, who's 10 times the catcher AJ is.

[/QUOTE]

AJnis stealing money, the White Sox knew he was done too. Only Larry and Ben were stupid enough to give him 8 million dollars.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the SOX could have been more aggressive securing McCann, but they appear to be on an austerity budget. "Shopping at the DOLLAR STORE is fine if you don't mind Halloween Candy in June." So sayeth Bill Maher.

[/QUOTE]

ya not sure why the sox have become so cheap when it comes to signing free agents. The way our FO acts, you would think we were the rays or marlins or astros. Enough with the bargin bin shopping. Ellsbury should have been brought back, even though he was bound to get overpayed, the reality is that what he was asking for is the market price for a player of his caliber. I understand the sox fo being hesistant to giving him that much, but if you are going to let a player like him walk, u better have a damn good plan b. There was the kemp rumors that surfaced for awhile but his health derailed those, so we will see as the season goes on if those talks pick up again assuming kemp demonstrates that he is healhy. Kemp is a good replacement, what we currently have is not. If we could get a deal done for kemp, the line up would actually look pretty good:

1. Sizemore (When bradley starts, he hits 9th and everyone else moves up a spot)

2. Victorino

3. Pedroia

4. Kemp

5. Ortiz

6. Napoli

7. Bogaerts

8. Middlebrooks

9. Pierzynksi ( I think eventually vazquez takes over) 

The problem right now is, we let ellsbury go with no plan b and jumped straight to plan c which was go with the mediocre guys we have and hope that nava/gomes can put up the well above career avg numbers they did last year. And on top of that, pray sizemore stays healthy and bradley learns to hit major league pitching. Thats alot of IF's, which is never a good thing heading to into a season. Another thing this team severely lacks is speed. We have literally no speed on this team. Victorino is not the base stealer he used to be, same with sizemore. JBJ is slightly above average speed wise, but not much. Again a side effect of losing ellsbury. Just look at the number of slow players in the starting line up: ortiz, napoli, nava, gomes, aj, carp, middlebrooks, all are slow on the basepaths. And while those guys are all good power hitters, they are all very inconsistent hitters with the exception of ortiz. Its not hard to see why this team is having problems scoring runs. Yes I know its early, but this team looks alot like the 2012 team that started out the same way and we all saw how that season finished. I can recall many people on these message boards saying throughout the 2012 season that "its too early" or " Give it some more time." It began with " its only 10 games" then it was 20, 30, 50 etc, nothing changed. Looking at the team as it sits, there is not alot of reason to think without some sort of significant trade that anything is going to change. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

First Sox challenge!!

So much for the tie, going to the batter

Sorry!  He was clearly out. Never would have challenged it!

[/QUOTE

Apparently, whoever looked at the replay, didn't think so and thought it was worth it

They should have called me J-Bay!  

Even my 50+ yr old eyes could see it was obvious on the freeze frame.

Granted.  They likely didn't have the time we did to make my expert call ;)

I guess they saw what I did.  looked like a tie and wasn't enough to overturn it. 

OK J-Bay.....  the definitive proof is in!

Not that I'm at all OCD, but if you have TIVO, go back & do a freeze frame just prior to the catch.  Hit pause, then slow tap the ff button.

NO CONTEST.  ZERO DISPUTE!   HE WAS OUT BY 1 INCH.

again.... I may not be ocd

I hope you're kidding, rsdd. Even if I did, I wouldn't. As you said not worth arguing about, yet you continued.  

Sections
Shortcuts