Gamethread ESPN 8:00 NYY @ Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gamethread ESPN 8:00 NYY @ Boston

#RedSox: Holt 3B, Pedroia 2B, Ortiz DH, Cespedes LF, Napoli 1B, Nava RF, Bogaerts SS, Bradley Jr. CF, Vazquez C, Buchholz RHP.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gamethread ESPN 8:00 NYY @ Boston

Game time: 8:05 p.m.

TV/Radio: ESPN / WEEI, WFAN.

Red Sox vs. Phelps: Pedroia 6-17, Nava 0-5, Napoli 3-7, Cespedes 0-6, Ortiz 2-3, Craig 1-3, Bogaerts 0-2, Middlebrooks 1-1, Bradley 0-1, Holt 0-0 (1 BB).

Yankees vs. Buchholz: Jeter 8-26, Teixeira 4-21, Gardner 3-20, Suzuki 3-14, Cervelli 3-6, Beltran 2-5, Ryan 0-4, Drew 1-3, Ellsbury 1-3, McCann 1-3.

Stat of the Day: Buchholz is 1-3 with a 5.06 ERA in five career starts against the Yankees at Fenway Park and 5-6, 5.12 in 13 career against overall against New York.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Notes: The teams split the first two games of the series. The Yankees lead the season series 5-7, outscoring the Sox 61-42. … The Yankees start the day five games out of first place in the division and 2.5 back in the wild card. … Buchholz has allowed 15 earned runs on 23 hits and eight walks over 17 innings in his last three starts. With the trades, he is the only remaining member of the rotation to start the season. John Lester, John Lackey, Jake Peavy and Felix Doubront are all gone. … Phelps is 5-5. 3.90 in 16 starts this season. He has faced the Red Sox three times in relief in his career, throwing 4.2 innings and allowed two unearned runs while striking out eight. … The Sox are 19-31 against the AL East. … Dustin Pedroia has hit safely in eight of nine games at 14 of 35, raising his batting average to .279. … David Ortiz has 15 RBIs in his last 11 games. … After a slump, Brock Holt is 5 of his last 16. … Jackie Bradley Jr. is 0 for his last 20 with 10 strikeouts, dropping his batting average to .221. … Jacoby Ellsbury is 14 of 48 against the Red Sox this season with seven extra-base hits and eight RBI and three stolen bases over 12 games. … Carlos Beltran is 4 of 8 with two extra-base hits and three RBIs in the first two games of the series. ... Derek Jeter is playing in his 2,700th career game, tying former Yankees third baseman Graig Nettles for 28th all-time. ... Mookie Betts has been on the roster for 19 games and started only 10 of them.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Looks like AILING Craig is still hurting. Unbelievable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

so this makes no sense. why was middlebrooks called up and then benched 2 of 3 games since? How are we going to get any kind of evaluation on him if he isn’t even playing? what do we have to gain by playing nava or holt? nothing. Both will be bench players next year. Nava especially, if craig rolled his ankle and needs to sit, then start holt in the outfield and middlebrooks at 3B. The continual insistence on giving nava starts is really staring to get frustrating. He’s not a starter and never will be, he’s a bench guy who excelled in role where he only had to face right handed pitchers in a part time position. This team just loves mediocrity and fails to acknowledge reality. Same goes for brandon workman, its pretty clear at this point that he is better suited for the pen. He did well there last postseason and at the beginning of this year. With doubront and miller gone, we have spots open, layne is filling the lefty spot, workman can fill the long reliever spot. (though he can also pitch in the later innings as well). Send ranaudo down after one start was borderline moronic. Especially when we still have workman and webster in the rotation. Ranuado has been our 2nd best starter in the minors this year behind henry owens. He needs to get a shot. He certainly did well enough his first start to warrant remaining in the rotation. And now we called up alex wilson (time to give up on the guy ) and then sent him down for steven wright. (makes no sense having a knuckleballer coming out of the pen) We have enough young starters that we don’t have to force a guy like workman into the rotation. Put him in the pen where he excels. Workman has 2 good pitches, thats not a recipe for a starter in the majors. You need 3 quality pitches minimum. Workman as a result has not pitched well and does not pitch deep into games. I don’t know how much more obvious this can be. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Mookie, where is MOOKIE  ????    Why not R F  tonight ???

Because Manager Farrell is trying to evaluate Nava. When the SOX do have a representative team, it won't matter because Farrell will still be here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I bet Cespedes is awesome during batting practice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

I don't know if that was intended to be sarcastic or not, but as a stand-alone statement I'll bet it's true!

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I don't know if that was intended to be sarcastic or not, but as a stand-alone statement I'll bet it's true!

[object HTMLDivElement]

With Ortiz and Cespedes I'm betting the SOX could beat every other team in HR DERBY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Mookie Betts has been on the #RedSox active roster for 19 games (counting today) and started 10 games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    Lackey working into 7th inning in his 1st start for St. Louis. 2 ER allowed but down, 2-0 as Cards have 1 hit. So it’s like he never left.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    The ESPN crew tonight, @DShulman_ESPN and John Kruk will call the game from the Monster Seats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Game time: 8:05 p.m.

TV/Radio: ESPN / WEEI, WFAN.

Red Sox vs. Phelps: Pedroia 6-17, Nava 0-5, Napoli 3-7, Cespedes 0-6, Ortiz 2-3, Craig 1-3, Bogaerts 0-2, Middlebrooks 1-1, Bradley 0-1, Holt 0-0 (1 BB).

Yankees vs. Buchholz: Jeter 8-26, Teixeira 4-21, Gardner 3-20, Suzuki 3-14, Cervelli 3-6, Beltran 2-5, Ryan 0-4, Drew 1-3, Ellsbury 1-3, McCann 1-3.

Stat of the Day: Buchholz is 1-3 with a 5.06 ERA in five career starts against the Yankees at Fenway Park and 5-6, 5.12 in 13 career against overall against New York.

countdown to Monday 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    #RedSox have recalled RHP Steven Wright, who was supposed to start for Pawtucket today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    Mike Carp was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    The ESPN crew tonight, @DShulman_ESPN and John Kruk will call the game from the Monster Seats.

I wonder if he knows where they are?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

‏@PeteAbe

From bad to worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Although I'm pleased that ESPN is broadcasting this game so I don't have to listen to the idiots on YES, it's humorous that ESPN, FOX and whoever continue to promote these games as a rivalry. There hasn't been a rivalry between the SOX and Yankees since 2004. So networks, please stop with the BS.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I wouldn't go that far. Things were still pretty hot up through 08-09ish, and in 2007 we fought them all year. I think the current gentlemanly co-op started in the 2010 era or so........ I don't mind it, I could use the break for a while. Besides, we have the Rays to hate now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

‏@PeteAbe

[object HTMLDivElement]

One fish in the boat. If they could just catch pike now....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Although I'm pleased that ESPN is broadcasting this game so I don't have to listen to the idiots on YES, it's humorous that ESPN, FOX and whoever continue to promote these games as a rivalry. There hasn't been a rivalry between the SOX and Yankees since 2004. So networks, please stop with the BS.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I wouldn't go that far. Things were still pretty hot up through 08-09ish, and in 2007 we fought them all year. I think the current gentlemanly co-op started in the 2010 era or so........ I don't mind it, I could use the break for a while. Besides, we have the Rays to hate now.

No question, Maddon is easy to hate and so is their ballpark.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement].  The rivalry exists much more between the fans than it does between the players. With the Rays, it is both. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Mookie, where is MOOKIE  ????    Why not R F  tonight ???

Why not CF? I'm tired of looking at Bradley, and his automatic outs. Will someone please tell Mr. Farrell that he has benched a coming all-star who is doing just fine right now, thank you, and playing a guy who has had 137 chances (games) in the bigs and CAN'T HIT"

Sections
Shortcuts