Gamethread NYY @ Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

Re: Gamethread NYY @ Boston

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pineada may have some bigger problems than pine tar - like how to stay with the team after he's undermined the FO.

S5

we have a term 4 that in yankeeland

it's called 'wishful thinking'

[/QUOTE]
    Nope.  Where I come from it's called "realistic thinking".  While I would "wish" bad luck on the Yankees it's more in the vein of bad hops than losing players.  This is a guy's career at stake here and I would hate to see it go down the drain no matter who he plays for.

However.. The Yankees are in a tough spot now.  If they release or trade Pineda they lose the services of a pretty good pitcher and a good pitcher is something they need badly.  If they keep him they're telling the world that a player can do anything they want up to and including undermining the FO - if they can throw a baseball 90+ MPH.  

The Yankee brand was getting cleaned up with their treatment of ARod but if they allow a player to blatantly cheat AND undermine the FO they're damaging that brand again.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

[/QUOTE]

Right or wrong, I don't think trading him or releasing him is in the cards. But they seriously have to nip this in the bud immediately. It's not always gonna be a beautiful baseball night and it will affect your grip of the ball, that doesn't mean you use pine tar. And if you use pine tar, HIDE IT! Leiter and Cone both said when they used it, they put it under their belts. Maybe there's a language barrier, but like I said, other than the language barrier, this guy seems like he's dumb as a bag of hammers. Just watch him in an interview, his facial expressions and body language add to my belief this guy's not all there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to PhilTheAce's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it comical how so many are killing Pineda when Lester and Buch have been accused of doing it too. And because so many pitchers admit to using it on a cold night. It's not like it makes you pitch better, it makes you grip the ball better on cold nights. Bottom line, obviously Farrel thinks highly enough of Pineda to get him out of the game because he knew his chances were better with him out of the game. Pine tar or not, Pineda's a talented arm with great stuff, obviously he needs to hide it better or not use it at all. He got caught, thrown out, and the Sox had an easy win, but lets not act like Pineda is the only one who uses the stuff or like it makes that much of a difference in performance.

[/QUOTE]

Pineda would make a lousy drug mule.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I find it comical how so many are killing Pineda when Lester and Buch have been accused of doing it too. And because so many pitchers admit to using it on a cold night. It's not like it makes you pitch better, it makes you grip the ball better on cold nights. Bottom line, obviously Farrel thinks highly enough of Pineda to get him out of the game because he knew his chances were better with him out of the game. Pine tar or not, Pineda's a talented arm with great stuff, obviously he needs to hide it better or not use it at all. He got caught, thrown out, and the Sox had an easy win, but lets not act like Pineda is the only one who uses the stuff or like it makes that much of a difference in performance.

[/QUOTE]

Pineda would make a lousy drug mule.

[/QUOTE]

Now that was funny, lmao.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pineada may have some bigger problems than pine tar - like how to stay with the team after he's undermined the FO.

S5

Nope.  Where I come from it's called "realistic thinking".  While I would "wish" bad luck on the Yankees it's more in the vein of bad hops than losing players.  This is a guy's career at stake here and I would hate to see it go down the drain no matter who he plays for.

However.. The Yankees are in a tough spot now.  If they release or trade Pineda they lose the services of a pretty good pitcher and a good pitcher is something they need badly.  If they keep him they're telling the world that a player can do anything they want up to and including undermining the FO - if they can throw a baseball 90+ MPH.  

The Yankee brand was getting cleaned up with their treatment of ARod but if they allow a player to blatantly cheat AND undermine the FO they're damaging that brand again.  

[/QUOTE]

Right or wrong, I don't think trading him or releasing him is in the cards. But they seriously have to nip this in the bud immediately. It's not always gonna be a beautiful baseball night and it will affect your grip of the ball, that doesn't mean you use pine tar. And if you use pine tar, HIDE IT! Leiter and Cone both said when they used it, they put it under their belts. Maybe there's a language barrier, but like I said, other than the language barrier, this guy seems like he's dumb as a bag of hammers. Just watch him in an interview, his facial expressions and body language add to my belief this guy's not all there.

[/QUOTE]

I dout it's a language barrier, Phil. I watched his post game interview last night, and he understood the questions and answered theml, without hesitation. There may be a reason the Mariners traded him, that has nothing to do with his pitching ability. I'd also suggest they speak to him about how he wears his hat. He's representing a storied franchise, not a bunch of rappers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

S5

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dout it's a language barrier, Phil. I watched his post game interview last night, and he understood the questions and answered them well, without hesitation. There may be a reason the Mariners traded him, that has nothing to do with his pitching ability. I'd also suggest they speak to him about how he wears his hat. He's representing a storied franchise, not a bunch of rappers.

[/QUOTE]

'Head cases' in professional sports? That's a stretch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

pineda's next start:

http://xqiang.en.alibaba.com/product/489256912-200978152/unqiue_design_rubber_thimble.html" rel="nofollow">http://xqiang.en.alibaba.com/product/489256912-200978152/unqiue_design_rubber_thimble.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

S5

for now Bcash is thinking/ hoping this trade

is a big plus on his tainted legacy

no yankee money involved

[/QUOTE]

"big plus on his legacy"

Believe me Zac a bag of day old donuts would still have been a steal for Montero.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A fine message to send to the kids of America:  It is okay to break the rules, but please try to be more sneaky about it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A fine message to send to the kids of America:  It is okay to break the rules, but please try to be more sneaky about it.

yup that's pretty much what ferrell and others said

LOL S5

give it up

no matter how many times you post it or wish it

there no serious rub between pineda and FO

at worst just miscommunication

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL S5

give it up

There is really no way to know that, from the outside looking in, is there Zac? Both Cashman and Girardi basically threw him under the bus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Kind of like robbing a bank and writing the threat on the back of your deposit slip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL S5

give it up

[/QUOTE]

I believe that's ms communication.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

There is really no way to know that, from the outside looking in, is there Zac? Both Cashman and Girardi basically threw him under the bus

of course not

so U think if I was right they would of said I have NP with what he did

I think it's called CYA

maybe the pine tar was just a decoy

and he had Vaseline hidden in his glove

sorry JBay your 3' posts R ruining the thread

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

There is really no way to know that, from the outside looking in, is there Zac? Both Cashman and Girardi basically threw him under the bus

of course not

I think it called CYA

sorry JB your 3' posts R ruining the thread

[/QUOTE]

Ms direction; it works every time. Er, uh, I guess it doesn't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

LOL S5

give it up

[/QUOTE]

"I would want my manager to do what John Farrell did," GM Brian Cashman said after this 5-1 defeat.

"I'm embarrassed that we had an organizational breakdown that allowed this to happen," Cashman said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

of course not

I think it's called CYA

sorry JBay your 3' posts R ruining the thread

They said that last time. I didnt hear anyone say last night they didnt have a problem with what he did. On the contrary.

Cashman and Girardi both said Pineda was spoken to, in no uncertain terms, after his last start.  My guess is he understood, panicked after the firat inning, and did it anyway. I can't imagine that will sit well, within the organization. I also think they made him stand up, face the media to be accountable, so they weren't the only ones left, holding the bag.

Sorry zac, Theyre not my 3" posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think there is one thing people are missing here, and that is the fact that pineda used pine tar. Pine tar is illegal and is not used by many pitchers. Rosin however, is much more common. There is a rosin bag on the mound for a reason. Many players mix the rosin powder with water (which clay does, thats why he always touches his hair which he soaks each inning with water). There is also the common mix of sunscreen and rosin which u will see more in the warmer months. Both are legal substances and thus are not deemed illegal when mixed together. Pine tar on the other hand, is an illegal foreign substance on its own. The other thing to consider is the effect each substance has on the ball. Lots of pitchers use rosin etc to get a better grip on the ball, which is what rosin is designed to do. Pine tar on the other hand, not only gives you a better grip, it adds break to your off speed pitches. What pineda did was without question illegal and he deserves the suspension he gets. (most likely 10 games, but should be 15-20) Theres also the fact that he made it so obvious. Both starts against the sox and his first start against the jays he did little to hide the fact that he was using pine tar. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not sure what your point U R trying to make  slash

U really think the yanks will try to get rid of  pinheada over this

Bcash could be embarrassed that it was so obvious and that would be a coaches fault 2

"I would want my manager to do what John Farrell did," GM Brian Cashman said after this 5-1 defeat.

"I'm embarrassed that we had an organizational breakdown that allowed this to happen," Cashman said.

"Bubba Crosby will be our center fielder"

according to my PC they R jbay

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i think there is one thing people are missing here, and that is the fact that pineda used pine tar. Pine tar is illegal and is not used by many pitchers. Rosin however, is much more common. There is a rosin bag on the mound for a reason. Many players mix the rosin powder with water (which clay does, thats why he always touches his hair which he soaks each inning with water). There is also the common mix of sunscreen and rosin which u will see more in the warmer months. Both are legal substances and thus are not deemed illegal when mixed together. Pine tar on the other hand, is an illegal foreign substance on its own. The other thing to consider is the effect each substance has on the ball. Lots of pitchers use rosin etc to get a better grip on the ball, which is what rosin is designed to do. Pine tar on the other hand, not only gives you a better grip, it adds break to your off speed pitches. What pineda did was without question illegal and he deserves the suspension he gets. (most likely 10 games, but should be 15-20) Theres also the fact that he made it so obvious. Both starts against the sox and his first start against the jays he did little to hide the fact that he was using pine tar. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Plus one

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

not sure what your point U R trying to make  slash

U really think the yanks will try to get rid of  pinheada over this

"Bubba Crosby will be our center fielder"

according to my PC they R jbay

[/QUOTE]

no.  i was just trying to point out that retribution is not on the mind of the GM.  and that he is flaming his coaching staff for not noticing pineda doing this in between innings and allowed him to go out on the mound with it so visible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

A fine message to send to the kids of America: It is okay to break the rules, but please try to be more sneaky about it.

yup dale that's pretty much what ferrell and others said

now we can add redsoxpride34 and spaceman to that list

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

no. i was just trying to point out that retribution is not on the mind of the GM. and that he is flaming his coaching staff for not noticing pineda doing this in between innings and allowed him to go out on the mound with it so visible.

well slash we agree on the 2nd part

I'm not sure about the retribution part

got to think the sox will be a lot smarter than pinheada

so ny might never get their chance

although they could still use the umpire search

to break the pitchers concentration

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pitchers do use it when it's cold including sox pitchers.  Players know this is the case and don't have a problem with it.

What is at issue here is this. Pineda was warned after the game in ny.  So does he hide it this time?  No, he slathers it all over his neck.  How dumb is that?

Before the game farrell said if pineda used pine tar he should hide it better.  So does the guy take the hint?  No, he's in your face about it.  He left farrell no choice.  Farrell either had to speak up or look like he was afraid of the yanks.

Cashman is taking responsibility for this mess as he should.  Too bad joe isn't doing the same.  

Joe spends too much time being a stubborn moron about everything. I mean, I like him as a manager, but I can't stand his stubbornness and his constant battles with the media. It's very annoying watching his post games and how he never takes responsibility for any mistakes he or his players make. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  I haven't watched any of his post game interviews so I didn't know that.  Maybe cashman can give him a few lessons in leadership!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

S5

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He did seem like he was a bit overwhelmed. I felt kind of bad for him, well as bad as I can feel for a yankee ;0)

If joe and the players know the guy isn't all that sharp they should keep a closer eye on him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

These recent posts about Girardi are spot on; however, I can't imagine other mgrs publicly lambasting players, although it recently happened with Harper and Puig. 

Note - I refuse to use reply feature.